Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) establishes MIT-Azerbaijan Fund to support young entrepreneurs and startup ecosystem development in Azerbaijan
SOCAR AQS has signed theagreement with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), one of the top universities in the world, for establishment of the MIT – Azerbaijan Fund. The MIT- Azerbaijan Fundwill support the new MIT–Azerbaijan Global Startup Labs initiative to be administered by the MIT International Science and Technology Initiatives (MISTI) Program. The agreement was signed by Mr. Israel Ruiz, Executive Vice President and Treasurer of MIT, and Mr. Ramin Isayev, General Director of SOCAR AQS.
The first MIT–Azerbaijan Global Startup Labs will be organized in the summer of 2018 at ADA University (identified as per the appreciation mission of the MIT representative to academic institutions in the country). The MIT–Azerbaijan Global Startup Labentailsan intensive applied training for young entreprenerus and tech-savvy students in the development of mobile/web app-based startups and entrepreneurshipin Azerbaijan.
Participants will be selected by the MIT Team. The MIT–Azerbaijan Global Startup Lab will hold an investor / demo day, where startups will have an opportunity to pitch the ideas and products they develop during the program and to seek funding from investors and/or invitations to local startup incubators or accelerators. The MIT–Azerbaijan Global Startup Lab’s graduates will also have the opportunity to compete for participation in MIT’s global startup and idea competitions, thus providing Azerbaijan’s students and young entreprenuers with access to global startup funding and innovation ecosystem.
Dr. Elizabeth Wood, Faculty Director of MIT MISTI’s Eurasia program, said that “MIT is proud of its role expanding the frontiers of technological and entrepreneurship innovation. Through the MIT–Azerbaijan Global Startup Lab we want to take the best practices and modern approaches in startup ecosystem development to aspiring countries in the world.”
Dr. Hafiz Pashayev, the Rector of ADA University said: “This important partnership with the MIT and SOCAR AQS will enable ADA University’s Innovation Center to further strengthen the university’s startup support and innovation capacity. It will also be an important contribution to developing the startup ecosystem in the country”.
“Azerbaijan has a young and entrepreneurial population. The country needs to reinvigorate its startup ecosystem to further enhance its innovation economy. SOCAR AQS is proud to support the country in these efforts,” said Mr. Ramin Isayev, General Director of SOCAR AQS.
Candidates interested in the MIT Global Startup Lab Azerbaijan bootcamp should apply by the deadline of May 29th, 2018 at the following link: http://gsl.mit.edu/program/azerbaijan-summer-2018/
SOCAR AQS as a national drilling company supports initiatives and programs aimed at increasing the existing capabilities to integrate oil capital into human capital.
SOCAR AQS launches the Summer Internship Program for 3rd and 4th year Bachelor degree students and master's degree students. Besides the company grants scholarship for students, who study oil and gasengineering.
SOCAR AQS's shareholders are SOCAR and Nobel Oil Services.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Vahid Alekberov comments on lawsuit between LUKOIL and Palmali Holding
- 25.05.2018LUKOIL negotiating with SOCAR on exploitation of Umid and Babek fields
- 25.05.2018Rosneft: US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal may lead to reformation of world oil market
- 22.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates high-voltage equipment plant in Baku - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Regional energy cooperation rises to a new level
- 21.05.2018BP expects demand for oil to peak in late 2030s
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan decreases energy export to Georgia by 12%
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan decreases export of oil and oil products to Georgia 11%
- 21.05.2018Shahdeniz consortium ready to transport Azerbaijani gas to Bulgaria from 2020
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% decline in electric power production this year
- 17.05.2018SCPX first gas scope 99 percent complete
- 17.05.2018SCP daily average throughput makes up 23.1 mcm of gas
- 17.05.2018Shah Deniz 2 first gas scope 99 percent complete
- 17.05.2018Shahdeniz produces about 2.7 bcm of gas and 0.6 million tonnes of condensate
- 17.05.2018BTC exports more than 8 million tonnes of crude oil
- 17.05.2018ACG delivers 5.8 million cubic metres of associated gas to SOCAR
- 17.05.2018ACG produces 7 million tonnes of oil in Q1
- 16.05.2018Renewable energy to meet 100% of power demand in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 1%
- 16.05.2018BTC transports more than 2 million tonnes of transit oil in four months
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production nearly fivefold
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees 11% in gas production
- 16.05.2018OPEC fulfills Vienna agreement by 172% in April
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees 53% growth in revenues from export of oil products
- 16.05.2018SOCAR imports nearly 800 million cubic meters of gas from Russia in Q1
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan gets 11%rise in natural gas export
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan triples energy export this year
- 11.05.2018Berat Albayrak: TANAP to be launched on June 12
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 09.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of International Association of Ports and Harbors - UPDATED
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan exports over 20,000 tons of fuel to Georgia last month
- 08.05.2018SOCAR Georgia Gas to invest GEL7M in Georgia this year
- 08.05.2018Deputy Minister: Azerbaijan to become natural gas supplier of Georgia in 2019
- 08.05.2018Director: SOCAR Georgia Gas over-fulfils investment obligations
- 08.05.2018ACG produces 455 million tonnes of oil and 144.5 bcm of gas so far
- 07.05.2018Vice-Speaker: Azerbaijan replacing heavy fuel in energy production with natural gas
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan to build new gas storage and compressor station
- 04.05.2018Petkim increases liabilities by 68% in 1Q2018
- 04.05.2018Transportation of oil products through SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal in Georgia declines
- 02.05.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijan reduces energy production by more than 4%
- 03.05.2018IMF forecasts 33% growth in Azerbaijan’s gas export
- 03.05.2018IMF: AzeriLight’s price will be $62
- 03.05.2018Changes made in program of Caspian Energy Forum Tbilisi – 2018
- 02.05.2018SOCAR applies to Turkish government
- 02.05.2018TANAP to be launched on June 19