Oil up but set for weekly drop as tariff plan, U.S. output weigh
Oil prices rose on Friday as Wall Street stocks bounced off session lows, but crude benchmarks were still poised for their first weekly fall in three weeks on fears U.S. plans to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum could squeeze economic growth, and as U.S. crude inventories climbed, APA reports quoting Reuters.
On Thursday, oil followed the stock market lower after President Donald Trump said he would impose hefty tariffs to protect U.S. producers. Investors feared the move would spark a trade war, with retaliation from major partners such as China, Europe and Canada.
The U.S. oil and gas industry slammed the tariff plan, saying it would kill energy jobs by raising costs for big infrastructure projects.
Oil slid along with equities again early on Friday, but oil rebounded with U.S. stocks as the S&P 500 index .SPX and the Nasdaq .IXIC moved into positive territory.
Brent crude LCOc1 rose 30 cents to $64.13 a barrel by 12:10 p.m. EST (1710 GMT). U.S. crude CLc1 was up 16 cents at $61.15. Both contracts reversed direction after trading lower early in the session, but remained poised for weekly declines.
“Tariffs brought concerns that economic growth will be unable to boost demand,” said Gene McGillian, director of market research at Tradition Energy. Crude prices remained under pressure from concerns that U.S. production may be high enough to offset output cuts from OPEC and Russia, he said.
On Wednesday, the government reported that U.S. crude stocks USOILC=ECI rose faster than expected while gasoline inventories posted a surprisingly large increase.
“We are being driven by the pickup in U.S. inventories and in general terms the market went a bit too far, too soon,” said Ric Spooner, chief market analyst at CMC Markets in Sydney.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018OPEC Secretary General: We’ll ensure all countries fulfil obligations in 2018
- 19.03.2018OPEC Secretary General: Azerbaijan has significant role in agreement reached by OPEC and non-OPEC members
- 19.03.2018Creation of platforms on ‘OPEC+’ initiative discussed in Baku
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% decline in electricity production this year
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia by nearly 5%
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan decreases export of oil products to Georgia by 17%
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases energy export to Georgia by 26%
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan gets growth in oil production, decline in gas production
- 16.03.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by over 4%
- 16.03.2018BTC transports more than 1 million tonnes of transit oil in two months
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 7.5-fold
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan increases diesel production
- 16.03.2018EIB approves 932 mln euro loan for TANAP gas pipeline
- 15.03.2018Fitch: SGC's carries strategic importance for Azerbaijan's long-term macroeconomic stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan submits letter on joining International Energy Charter
- 15.03.2018Minister: Measures should continue to keep oil prices stable
- 15.03.2018Georgia increases energy import from Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Shahin Mustafayev: Azerbaijan intends to cooperate with Iran in oil and gas production
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 12.03.2018Georgia decreases import of oil products from Azerbaijan in February
- 10.03.2018Oil prices rise nearly $2 amid broad market optimism
- 28.02.2018BP Regional President: Azerbaijan is of ‘key importance’ among over 70 countries where BP operates
- 28.02.2018SOCAR Turkey Energy, BP sign licence agreement
- 27.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Automated Control and Monitoring Center of Mingachevir Electric Power Distribution Network
- 27.02.2018Capacity of Mingechevir Hydro Power Plant increased to 424 megawatt
- 27.02.2018U.S. oil extends gains to hold near three-week high
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan doubles export of oil products to Georgia
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia more than 1%
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases energy export to Georgia by 11%
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan exports more than 9,000 tonnes of fuel to Georgia last month
- 16.02.2018SGC Advisory Council provides political support to Shahdeniz 2 - DECLARATION
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan earned $125B from ACG fields block so far
- 16.02.2018TANAP to transport 2 bcm of gas this year
- 16.02.2018BP remains committed to achieving a nationalization target of 90 percent for professional staff by year-end
- 16.02.2018BP-Azerbaijan: Overall, 99 percent of SCPX first gas scope is already complete
- 16.02.2018SCP spends $813M last year
- 16.02.2018Shah Deniz 2 first gas scope is now 99 per cent complete - BP
- 16.02.2018Shahdeniz produces 10.2 bcm of gas and 2.4 million tonnes of condensate last year
- 16.02.2018Amount of capital and operating expenditures on Shahdeniz announced
- 16.02.2018BTC exports 34 million tonnes of crude oil in 2017
- 06.03.2018Oil prices rise on forecasts for growing demand, OPEC concerns
- 07.03.2018SOCAR: Negotiations on financing of SGC started with German companies and banks
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan’s economy minister to visit Iran
- 02.03.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan increases electric energy production in February
- 01.03.2018Oil extends declines on U.S. inventory build