SOCAR and BP sign agreement on new production sharing for geological exploration in Azerbaijan
SOCAR and BP have signed a new agreement on the production sharing for the joint exploration and development of the D230 block in the North Absheron basin today in the Azerbaijani sector of the Caspian Sea.
The agreement was signed by President of SOCAR Rovnag Abdullayev and Group Chief Executive of BP Bob Dudley in London with the participation of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and UK Prime Minister Theresa May.
President of SOCAR Rovnag Abdullayev said at the signing ceremony that the agreement is based on equal and fair grounds:
"We have had a tradition of long-term cooperation with BP. I am convinced that thanks to modern oil and gas technologies and unique historical experience of both companies this cooperation will continue successfully. The agreement signed today is based on equal and fair grounds and will play an important role in the joint realization of the natural resources of Azerbaijan with maximum efficiency,” he said.
Dudley noted that this agreement is based on new joint efforts to support long-term production in Azerbaijan and to explore opportunities for SOCAR and BP in the Caspian Sea.
"We have been operating in this region over 25 years and we believe there is a significant oil and gas potential here. We will continue to work closely with SOCAR and other partners to carry out geological exploration work and to boost our substantial business in Azerbaijan by helping to secure the future of the Caspian Sea in the coming decades,” he said.
The D230 block is located in the Caspian Sea, approximately 135 kilometers (84 miles) north-east of Baku. The block covers an area of approximately 3,200 square kilometers. The estimated depth of the productive layer of the block is approximately 3,500 meters. BP will have 50 per cent stake in the exploration period, while another 50 per cent will belong to SOCAR.
Earlier, in May 2016, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed with SOCAR on geological exploration at the D230 block.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2018DESFA sells 66% of its shares for €535M
- 19.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani gas will take its place in EU space soon
- 19.07.2018President: Process of industrialization is taking place at a very high pace in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2018SOFAZ revenues from bonuses on oil and gas agreements to make up AZN 774M this year
- 18.07.2018President: Nearly $250 billion invested in Azerbaijan during past fifteen years
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian Presidents attend inauguration of plant in Sumgayit
- 18.07.2018President: Azerbaijan’s rapid economic and industrial development needs new technologies
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on execution of SOFAZ 2017 budget
- 17.07.2018SOFAZ earns AZN 7.9B from sale of profit oil and gas
- 16.07.2018BTC celebrates 3 billion barrels of oil export
- 14.07.2018Non-oil sector of Azerbaijan's economy grew by 2 percent
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 12.07.2018Azerenergy releases information about power cut in country
- 12.07.2018Azerishig: Power supply suspended in 27% of Azerbaijan’s territory
- 12.07.2018Power supply cut in several regions of Azerbaijan
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan doubles electricity export this year
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan increases revenues from gas export by 8 percent
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan increases crude oil export by 40%
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan doubles revenues from export of oil products
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 09.07.2018SOCAR Group borrows 419 million manats this year
- 05.07.2018Kemaleddin Heydarov: “None of previously stated remarks were not taken into account”
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani President: "I express my gratitude to Russia and Georgia"
- 04.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chairs meeting on situation of country’s energy system
- 04.07.2018Electricity supply of all regions of Azerbaijan resumed
- 03.07.2018Azerenerji: "Janub" and "Sumgayit" power stations activated, Baku's electricity supply restored
- 03.07.2018Ministry of Energy and Azerenerji issue joint information on electricity transmission issues
- 03.07.2018Georgia starts energy export to Azerbaijan
- 02.07.2018BP Azerbaijan: We look forward to continuing to work closely with the government of Azerbaijan and other co-venturers towards our next target of gas to Europe in 2020
- 02.07.2018SOCAR President: Shah Deniz 2 platforms constructed by SOCAR’s affiliate companies
- 02.07.2018Shah Deniz 2 begins gas deliveries to Turkey
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament ratifies new budget rules
- 29.06.2018Rick Perry: US to continue supporting Azerbaijan’s global energy projects
- 28.06.2018The mechanism of economic amnesty to be developed in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018First commercial deliveries within Shah Deniz-2 to begin next week,
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan increases energy production by more than 9%
- 25.06.2018New Azerbaijani Vice President appointed to BP
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan welcomes OPEC decision to increase oil output
- 22.06.2018OPEC agrees to boost oil production by 1 million b/d
- 22.06.2018Transportation of oil products through SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal in Georgia declines
- 30.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Turkey by 6 percent
- 30.04.2018SDL Nobel signs new contract with BP
- 01.05.2018Azerbaijani oil price goes up
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran and Russia to create working group on integration of electro energy systems
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijani President arrives in UK for a visit, meets with BP CEO in London
- 26.04.2018Azerenerji gets 25% rise in revenues