SOCAR and BP sign agreement on new production sharing for geological exploration in Azerbaijan
SOCAR and BP have signed a new agreement on the production sharing for the joint exploration and development of the D230 block in the North Absheron basin today in the Azerbaijani sector of the Caspian Sea.
The agreement was signed by President of SOCAR Rovnag Abdullayev and Group Chief Executive of BP Bob Dudley in London with the participation of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and UK Prime Minister Theresa May.
President of SOCAR Rovnag Abdullayev said at the signing ceremony that the agreement is based on equal and fair grounds:
"We have had a tradition of long-term cooperation with BP. I am convinced that thanks to modern oil and gas technologies and unique historical experience of both companies this cooperation will continue successfully. The agreement signed today is based on equal and fair grounds and will play an important role in the joint realization of the natural resources of Azerbaijan with maximum efficiency,” he said.
Dudley noted that this agreement is based on new joint efforts to support long-term production in Azerbaijan and to explore opportunities for SOCAR and BP in the Caspian Sea.
"We have been operating in this region over 25 years and we believe there is a significant oil and gas potential here. We will continue to work closely with SOCAR and other partners to carry out geological exploration work and to boost our substantial business in Azerbaijan by helping to secure the future of the Caspian Sea in the coming decades,” he said.
The D230 block is located in the Caspian Sea, approximately 135 kilometers (84 miles) north-east of Baku. The block covers an area of approximately 3,200 square kilometers. The estimated depth of the productive layer of the block is approximately 3,500 meters. BP will have 50 per cent stake in the exploration period, while another 50 per cent will belong to SOCAR.
Earlier, in May 2016, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed with SOCAR on geological exploration at the D230 block.
Related news releases
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% decline in electric power production this year
- 17.05.2018SCPX first gas scope 99 percent complete
- 17.05.2018SCP daily average throughput makes up 23.1 mcm of gas
- 17.05.2018Shah Deniz 2 first gas scope 99 percent complete
- 17.05.2018Shahdeniz produces about 2.7 bcm of gas and 0.6 million tonnes of condensate
- 17.05.2018BTC exports more than 8 million tonnes of crude oil
- 17.05.2018ACG delivers 5.8 million cubic metres of associated gas to SOCAR
- 17.05.2018ACG produces 7 million tonnes of oil in Q1
- 16.05.2018Renewable energy to meet 100% of power demand in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 1%
- 16.05.2018BTC transports more than 2 million tonnes of transit oil in four months
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production nearly fivefold
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees 11% in gas production
- 16.05.2018OPEC fulfills Vienna agreement by 172% in April
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees 53% growth in revenues from export of oil products
- 16.05.2018SOCAR imports nearly 800 million cubic meters of gas from Russia in Q1
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan gets 11%rise in natural gas export
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan triples energy export this year
- 11.05.2018Berat Albayrak: TANAP to be launched on June 12
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 09.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of International Association of Ports and Harbors - UPDATED
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan exports over 20,000 tons of fuel to Georgia last month
- 08.05.2018SOCAR Georgia Gas to invest GEL7M in Georgia this year
- 08.05.2018Deputy Minister: Azerbaijan to become natural gas supplier of Georgia in 2019
- 08.05.2018Director: SOCAR Georgia Gas over-fulfils investment obligations
- 08.05.2018ACG produces 455 million tonnes of oil and 144.5 bcm of gas so far
- 07.05.2018Vice-Speaker: Azerbaijan replacing heavy fuel in energy production with natural gas
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan to build new gas storage and compressor station
- 04.05.2018Petkim increases liabilities by 68% in 1Q2018
- 04.05.2018Transportation of oil products through SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal in Georgia declines
- 03.05.2018IMF: AzeriLight’s price will be $62
- 03.05.2018IMF forecasts 33% growth in Azerbaijan’s gas export
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijan reduces energy production by more than 4%
- 03.05.2018Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) establishes MIT-Azerbaijan Fund to support young entrepreneurs and startup ecosystem development in Azerbaijan
- 03.05.2018Changes made in program of Caspian Energy Forum Tbilisi – 2018
- 02.05.2018SOCAR applies to Turkish government
- 02.05.2018TANAP to be launched on June 19
- 02.05.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls
- 26.04.2018BP names Helge Lund as chairman
- 23.04.2018Minister: Azerbaijan’s joining OPEC is not on agenda
- 30.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Turkey by 6 percent
- 30.04.2018SDL Nobel signs new contract with BP
- 01.05.2018Azerbaijani oil price goes up
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran and Russia to create working group on integration of electro energy systems
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijani President arrives in UK for a visit, meets with BP CEO in London
- 26.04.2018Azerenerji gets 25% rise in revenues