Azerbaijan’s National Security Ministry arrests a number of people accused of fighting under ISIL and other armed groups
26 Azerbaijani citizens – Yusifov Firdovsi Soltan oghlu, Soltanov Taleh Azizagha oghlu, Hasanli Vilayet Alasdan oghlu, Musayev Malik Elchin oghlu, Hajiyev Vasif Ordukhan oghlu, Babazadeh Ilkin Aydin oghlu, Balakishiyev Mehman Pirbala oghlu, Mustafayev Ruslan Azer oghlu, Mammadov Namig Firdovsi oghlu, Muradov Farid Arif oghlu, Hasanov Tural Namig oghlu, Aliyev Elvin Vilayet oghlu, Mustafayev Tapdig Tariyel oghlu, Gambarov Azer Asim oghlu, Bayramov Vusal Gabil oghlu, Hashimov Samir Samid oghlu, Abbasov Nijat Faig oghlu, Mammadov Huseyn Khagani oghlu, Jafarov Ruslan Ilham oghlu, Bakhishov Sanan Ilgar oghlu, Guliyev Eldost Firudin oghlu, Mammadaliyev Mammadshah Aghashah oghlu, Hasanov Ahmed Elkhan oghlu, Mardanov Maarif Irshad oghlu, Dursunaliyev Vugar Ahad oghlu and Gurbanli Elshan Abulfat oghlu were detained over creation of armed formations or groups, which are not provided by the legislation of the Azerbaijan Republic, and also participation in their creation and activity, supplying them by weapon, ammunition, explosives, military engineering or military equipment, as well as involving of minor to criminal activity by a person, obliged to bring up a minor and other illegal acts.
The Main Investigation Department of the Ministry of National Security launched criminal cases on the facts under articles #12.1, 279.1 and 170.3 of the Criminal Code. Court sentenced the aforementioned people to pre-trial detention.
It was revealed that Yusifov Firdovsi and Soltanov Taleh fought under the armed groups in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, which are not provided by the legislations of Pakistan and Azerbaijan.
Yusifov Firdovsi left for the Islamic Republic of Iran in mid-2011 and illegally passed to Pakistan's Waziristan province. He was appointed as an “emir” of “Taifatul Mansurah” military group under Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP - Taliban Movement of Pakistan) illegal armed formation and operated under this group till August 2013.
Soltanov Taleh also left for Iran, illegally entered Pakistan late in 2012 and fought under “Seyfullah” military group under Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan till August 2013. Soltanov Taleh took his wife and mother-in-law to Pakistan too. They earlier passed from Iran to Pakistan's Waziristan province. Yusifov Firdovsi and Soltanov Taleh got acquainted while fighting under armed groups and decided to join the armed groups fighting in Syria. When they illegally crossed through Pakistan into Iran in August of 2013 for this purpose, they were detained by law enforcement authorities and were handed over to the Republic of Azerbaijan on April 24, 2014. However, Taleh Soltanov’s wife and mother-in-law have crossed into the country with the help of the persons who joined the illegal armed units in Syria and with who they were agreed beforehand. While he was in prison in Iran, Taleh Soltanov had a child in Syria and his family lived in the territories where fierce battles are going on.
Other accused persons – Vilayat Hasanli, Malik Musayev, Vasif Hajiyev, Ilkin Babazada, Mehman Balakishiyev, Ruslan Mustafayev, Namig Mammadov, Farid Muradov, Tural Hasanov, Elvin Aliyev, Tariyel Mustafayev, Azer Gambarov, Vusal Bayramov, Samir Hashimov, Nijat Abbasov, Huseyn Mammadov, Ruslan Jafarov, Senan Bakhishov, Eldost Guliyev, Mammadshah Mammadaliyev, Ahmad Hasanov and Maarif Mardanov have fought in Syria within the armed groups, which are not provided by the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan and Syrian Arab Republic from 2013 to 2014.
Vuqar Dursunaliyev has incited an underage person to commit a violent crime. Thus, Vuqar Dursunaliyev, for his underage son, 15-year-old Elvin Dursunaliyev’s further strengthening his radical religious views, has incited him to join the illegal armed groups in Syria and paying all his transport costs sent him to Syria for him committing violent crimes within the armed groups. 15-year-old Elvin Dursunaliyev has fought in Syria within the armed groups, which are not provided by the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan and Syrian Arab Republic from December 2013 to April 2014.
In order to join illegal armed groups in the territories of the Syrian Arab Republic and the Republic of Iraq, Elshan Gurbanli went to the Republic of Turkey in 2014 and then illegally entered Syria with the help of a man aka “Abu Bakr”. He received radical religious and military trainings under the illegal armed groups in the Syrian city of Raqqa, the self-declared capital of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), which is not provided by the legislations of the republics of Syria, Iraq and Azerbaijan. After the trainings, Gurbanli, on his personal initiative, joined the illegal armed group named “Azəri camaatı” (Azeri people) led by Amir aka “Khattab”, who is being investigated. Thereafter, Gurbanli and others participated in military operations held by ISIL in the city of Haditha in Iraq’s Anbar Province in August, 2014. 35 militants died and Gurbanli was wounded in an explosion occurred while the armed group was planning an attack during these operations. Gurbanli together with other militants returned to Syria.
Measures are underway to investigate all criminal cases and other perpetrators of these illegal actions.
It is stated once again that the legislation envisages 20-year imprisonment or life imprisonment for persons accused of creating of armed formations or groups, which are not provided by the legislation of the Azerbaijan Republic, and also participating in their creation and activity, supplying them by weapon, ammunition, explosives, military engineering or military equipment, terrorism, that is commitment of explosion, arson or other actions creating danger to destruction of people, causing harm to their health, significant property damage or approaches other socially dangerous consequences committed with a view of influencing acceptance of decisions by state authorities and international organizations, as well as involving the citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan and stateless persons permanently residing in the Republic of Azerbaijan in armed conflicts outside the country with the view of spreading religious denominations and under the guise of performing religious rites or in combat trainings in this regard.
Related news releases
- 02.11.2017Caspian 2017 int’l exercise kicks off in Baku
- 04.06.2016Tactical-training exercise of special forces held in Russian embassy
- 30.05.2016Fire occurred in Hajigabul, 180 Eldar pines burned
- 23.04.2016National Bank of Pakistan’s Baku branch sues state body
- 23.01.2016ICYF: “Fakhraddin Aliyev was not our employee”
- 20.01.2016Heavy blast in Kabul near Russian Embassy
- 20.01.2016Azerbaijan commemorating 20 January martyrs - PHOTOSESSION
- 15.01.2016Man found hanged in Azerbaijan’s Shaki
- 12.12.2015Ammo found on roadside in Nardaran
- 12.12.2015Azerbaijani criminal 'authority' killed in Russia
- 12.12.2015Car hits 11-year-old schoolboy in Goychay
- 12.12.2015Man accused of murdering one of Azerbaijani Diaspora leaders in Ukraine internationally declared wanted
- 12.12.2015Lerik resident kills his sister
- 16.10.2015Turkey confirms Azerbaijani citizen among Ankara bombing suspects
- 16.10.2015Bodies of two Azerbaijani businessmen who went missing in summer 2014 found in river in Russia
- 03.10.2015Advisor to APFP Chairman Mammad Ibrahim arrested
- 12.09.2015Hail in Gakh, Zagatala, Balaken seriously damages private households
- 12.09.2015Renowned professor’s two sons on Interpol search list
- 12.09.2015Azerbaijan investigating presence of its citizens among victims in Mecca
- 03.09.2015Fire occurred in Domodedovo airport, flights to Azerbaijan postponed
- 28.08.2015Man shot to death in Baku was company director - PHOTO
- 22.08.2015Interior Ministry releases official statement on incidents in Mingechevir
- 22.08.201524-year-old boy commits suicide in Saatli
- 22.08.2015Lankaran resident mysteriously knifed
- 22.08.201559-year-old man throws himself into lake in Azerbaijan
- 22.08.20151 dead, 1 injured as car turns over in Baku-Guba highway
- 21.08.2015Arson committed in refugee camp settled by Azerbaijanis in Germany - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED
- 24.07.2015Russian nationalists’ leader killing Azerbaijani student in Russia sentenced to life imprisonment
- 16.07.2015Azerbaijani police to tighten security measures in Ramadan holiday
- 13.07.2015Criminal group members detained over embezzlement of AZN 3.4 mln from Baku citizen
- 10.07.2015Azerbaijan neutralized 142 criminal groups suspected of committing grave or especially grave crimes this year
- 06.07.2015Three people injured at plant blast in Shirvan taken to Republican Burn Center
- 02.07.2015Body of 14-year-old teen drowned at sea in Baku found
- 02.07.2015Quake hits Ganja
- 13.06.2015IRFS head Emin Huseynov leaves for Switzerland
- 13.06.2015One arrested over accident occurred in Athletes Village - OFFICIAL
- 28.05.2015Azerbaijan declares two persons internationally wanted over tax evasion
- 22.05.20154 arrested over fire accidents in Baku’s Binagadi, Khatai districts
- 21.05.2015Four more arrested over fatal fire outbreak in Baku
- 21.05.2015Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situation releases information about fire occurred in passenger train
- 24.09.2014Two of persons arrested over Ismayilli incidents released in court-room
- 25.09.2014PACE President visits Sheki penitentiary facility
- 25.09.2014Turkish businessman smuggling ecstasy and other drugs to Azerbaijan detained - PHOTOSESSION
- 23.09.2014Azerbaijani MP’s nephew accused of murder sentenced to life imprisonment
- 23.09.2014Municipality chairman commits suicide in Azerbaijan - VİDEO
- 22.09.2014Traffic accident kills 4 in Azerbaijan