Allahshukur Pashazade to Karekin II: Occupied Azerbaijan lands should be liberated
He made the remarks at a meeting with Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill and Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II in Moscow on Friday, an APA correspondent reported from Moscow.
Pashazade expressed hope that the Moscow meeting will benefit all the peoples of the Caucasus.
“The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict has been protracted for too long. We met before, but, unfortunately, these meetings did not bring results. Civilians die not only in Nagorno-Karabakh, but also on the Azerbaijani-Armenian border. Such an approach to this conflict is unlikely to contribute to its resolution,” he said.
Pashazade said he believes that religious leaders can contribute to the resolution of this conflict. “We are religious figures, not military ones. We must find a way to solve this problem so that our peoples do not suffer.”
Nagorno-Karabakh belongs to Azerbaijan, and the war was on the territory of Azerbaijan, the CMO head stressed. “Azerbaijani territories were occupied. I propose, under the leadership of Patriarch Kirill, to call on the leaders of our states to intensify efforts for a peaceful settlement of the Karabakh conflict,” he said.
Pashazade underscored the need to liberate the occupation of Azerbaijani territorie.
“Millions of people cannot go to their native lands and visit the graves of their loved ones. Those territories are under occupation. There are facts proving the desecration of graves. It’s necessary to begin the process of gradual return of the regions adjacent to Nagorno-Karabakh,” he added.
Pashazade recalled that Dilgam Asgarov, a Russian citizen of Azerbaijani origin, was taken hostage when he visited the graves of relatives.
"Hostages, captives must be released. We have to take the first step so that people can return to their homeland. We should not meet for the sake of meetings. We will live side by side, no one will go anywhere. Therefore, our meeting should give a result I once again appeal to the Armenian Catholicos not to return to the past after this meeting. I reiterate that I have high hopes for this meeting,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani citizens to pay for Hajj pilgrimage in installments
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani State Committee prevents import of books promoting religious radicalism
- 21.02.2018CMO specifies conditions for Hajj refund
- 21.02.2018Timeframe fixed for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations granted new powers
- 16.02.2018Pilgrims from Azerbaijan banned from leaving Mecca during Hajj
- 15.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijan increased up to 2,000
- 14.02.2018CMO to compensate families of deceased Hajj pilgrims
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman gives instruction to akhunds and imams
- 14.02.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman: It’d displease Allah to be dissatisfied with conditions created for believers in Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani pilgrims sharply reduces
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan to establish Institute of Theology
- 07.02.2018Illegal place of worship found in Khazar district
- 29.01.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry: 162 people violated freedom of religion in 2017
- 25.01.2018CMO chairman to visit Turkey
- 24.01.2018Mubariz Gurbanli: Rules regulating cemeteries and funerals ready
- 19.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 4M to Caucasian Muslims Office
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan approves action plan to combat religious extremism
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan revokes registration of 19 religious communities in 2017
- 11.01.201863 different radical books prevented from being imported to Azerbaijan
- 07.01.2018The Orthodox Christian community of Azerbaijan marks Christmas
- 29.12.201730 mln people to go on Hajj pilgrimage in coming years
- 27.12.2017State Committee: Radical groups prevented from taking roots in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani State Committee chairman stresses need for intra-Islamic dialogue
- 22.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Islamic religious figures from North Caucasian republics of Russia - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017Participants of Baku int'l conference appeal to heads of states, international organizations and religious leaders
- 21.12.2017Sunnis and Shiites pray together in Azerbaijan: American rabbi
- 21.12.2017Deputy Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and Palestinian Territories appeals to Muslim world
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives Saudi deputy minister of Islamic affairs - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Egypt's grand mufti - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017State Committee comments on proposal of creating ‘military cemetery’
- 18.12.2017Work underway to bring remaining Azerbaijani children home from Iraq – State Committee
- 18.12.2017Religious figures to receive salary in Azerbaijan
- 27.11.2017State Committee: Some forces in Azerbaijan seek to add political elements into Ashura commemorations
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia organize int’l conference on interfaith dialogue - UPDATED
- 23.11.2017Karabakh conflict planted seeds of separatism, ethnic strife in post-Soviet territory – CMO chairman
- 25.10.2017Patriarch Kirill: Desecration of religious monuments is perilous for any conflict
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku
- 13.10.2017Knowledge Fund: Some families in Azerbaijan follow sectarian rules
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill calls for release of captives of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade invited Patriarch Kirill to visit Armenian church in Baku
- 12.09.2017First group of Azerbaijani Hajj pilgrims returns home
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian religious leaders meet in Moscow
- 07.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade leaves for Moscow to meet Catholicos Karekin II
- 05.09.2017CMO strongly condemns Myanmar’s violence against Rohingya Muslims