Azerbaijan, Russia organize int’l conference on interfaith dialogue - UPDATED
An international conference on the theme “Russia-Azerbaijan: Interfaith Dialogue and Islamic Solidarity for Peace, Security and Cooperation” was held in St. Petersburg on Thursday.
Delivering a keynote speech at the conference, Chairman of the Caucasian Muslims Office (CMO), Sheikh-ul-Islam Haji Allahshukur Pashazade conveyed the greetings of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev to participants, saying that tolerance and multiculturalism are a state strategy in Azerbaijan, APA’s Russia bureau reports.
"Today President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev acts as a defender of global and religious values. Believing people highly appreciate the declaration of 2017 as the “Year of Islamic Solidarity in Azerbaijan. Such efforts, in light of xenophobia and Islamophobia, give a powerful stimulus to the religious leaders in protecting religious values,” he said.
Azerbaijan’s Ambassador to Russia Polad Bulbuloglu said in his speech that this international conference shows that friendly relations between the two countries’ people are at a high level.
The conference then proceeded with a plenary meeting.
Speaking at the meeting, Chairman of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli said representatives of all religions live in peace and tranquility in Azerbaijan, noting that 28 non-Islamic religious communities exist in Azerbaijan.
"Seventeen of them are Christian communities, which belong to different branches of Christianity. The largest non-Islamic religious organization is the Baku and Azerbaijan Eparchy of the Russian Orthodox Church. At the same time, Azerbaijan is home to the Albanian Church, one of the ancient Eastern Orthodox churches. Albanian Udins are descendants of the Caucasian Albanians. Udins continue to live in our country. Thanks to the tolerant traditions in Azerbaijan, the Udins have been able to preserve their native languages and religious characteristics among Muslims,” he added.
At the end of the conference, an agreement on cooperation between the CMO and the Spiritual Board of Muslims of St. Petersburg and North-West region of Russia was signed.
An international conference on the theme “Russia-Azerbaijan: Interfaith Dialogue and Islamic Solidarity for Peace, Security and Cooperation” kicked off at the Tavricheskiy Palace in St. Petersburg on Nov. 23.
The event was co-organized by the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Work with Religious Organizations, Caucasian Muslims Office, Saint Petersburg State University, Spiritual Board of Muslims of St. Petersburg and North-West region of Russia, with the support of the Azerbaijani Embassy in Russia, APA’s Russia bureau reports.
The conference is following the international events held in Baku, the North Caucasus, Finland, Iran, Turkey, Uzbekistan and Spain as part of the Year of Islamic Solidarity.
Chairman of the Caucasus Muslims Office, Sheikhulislam Allahshukur Pashazade, Chairman of the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli, Archbishop of Baku and Azerbaijan eparchy Alexander Ishein, Head of the Community of Mountain Jews in Azerbaijan Melih Yevdayev, Head of the Catholic community in Azerbaijan Ordinary Vladimir Fekete, Azerbaijan’s Ambassador to Russia Polad Bulbuloglu, members of the Azerbaijani Parliament, presidents of the Russian and Azerbaijani Academies of Science, as well as prominent scientists and religious figures are taking part in the conference.
The event started with the recitation of a verse from the Holy Quran.
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani State Committee warns over recitation of adhan at various times in Ramadan
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes some clerics for officiating marriage of minors
- 17.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets AIPAC and Simon Wiesenthal Center leadership in Los Angeles
- 17.05.2018Holy month of Ramadan begins
- 16.05.2018Sinai Temple of Los Angeles hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multi-faith harmony
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: President was enraged over demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: Some circles want to spark unrest in Azerbaijan at the hands of believers
- 15.05.2018CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who attend luxurious ceremonies before iftar will be penalized
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: There is fake mullah problem in Azerbaijan
- 15.05.2018Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Ramadan
- 15.05.2018CMO chairman: Al-Quds is capital of Palestine and belongs to Muslims
- 14.05.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani citizens filled
- 30.04.2018Quota for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan increased
- 19.04.2018List of religious figures to be rendered financial support presented to Moral Values Promotion Foundation
- 12.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Haji Javad Mosque’s building - UPDATED
- 06.04.2018Salman Musayev awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 06.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 04.04.2018Quota for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan reduced
- 29.03.2018Haji Javad Mosque in Baku to open this year
- 28.03.2018CMO chairman: ‘What would I have to do with donation boxes?’
- 28.03.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan appeal to international community
- 28.03.2018CMO chairman: Armenians who became our neighbors 200 years ago turned out to be wicked
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani citizens to pay for Hajj pilgrimage in installments
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani State Committee prevents import of books promoting religious radicalism
- 21.02.2018CMO specifies conditions for Hajj refund
- 21.02.2018Timeframe fixed for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations granted new powers
- 16.02.2018Pilgrims from Azerbaijan banned from leaving Mecca during Hajj
- 15.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijan increased up to 2,000
- 14.02.2018CMO to compensate families of deceased Hajj pilgrims
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman gives instruction to akhunds and imams
- 14.02.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman: It’d displease Allah to be dissatisfied with conditions created for believers in Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani pilgrims sharply reduces
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan to establish Institute of Theology
- 07.02.2018Illegal place of worship found in Khazar district
- 29.01.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry: 162 people violated freedom of religion in 2017
- 25.01.2018CMO chairman to visit Turkey
- 24.01.2018Mubariz Gurbanli: Rules regulating cemeteries and funerals ready
- 19.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 4M to Caucasian Muslims Office
- 27.11.2017State Committee: Some forces in Azerbaijan seek to add political elements into Ashura commemorations
- 18.12.2017Religious figures to receive salary in Azerbaijan
- 18.12.2017Work underway to bring remaining Azerbaijani children home from Iraq – State Committee
- 23.11.2017Karabakh conflict planted seeds of separatism, ethnic strife in post-Soviet territory – CMO chairman
- 25.10.2017Patriarch Kirill: Desecration of religious monuments is perilous for any conflict
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku