Ramadan to start on May 27 - FATWA
The Gazi Council of the Caucasian Muslims Office (CMO) has issued a fatwa on the holy month of Ramadan.
According to the calculations conducted by the Shamakhi-based Tusi Astrophysical Observatory of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), the 1st of Ramadan—that is, when the moon appears—will fall on May 27 this year, APA reported.
The CMO, together with the ANAS Shamakhi Astrophysical Observatory, has compiled a special Ramadan booklet that includes the dates of the first day of Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr, salah times, as well as daily prayers specific of this month.
“It’s inadmissible of clerics and believers to use provocative and divisive calendars that belong to other denominations and are likely to provoke denominational and time disputes. We’re confident that the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations and local executive authorities will help us with this issue and control the promotion and spread of calendars compiled by the CMO that are essential in preventing denominational discrimination,” the fatwa reads.
It is also noted that Eid al-Fitr will be will celebrated on June 26 – the 1st of Shawwal with the appearance of moonrise in our territory.
The fatwa also says that the time of Zakat al-Fitr, which is the charity given to the poor at the end of the fasting in Ramadan, is the last ten days of Ramadan.
The CMO and the Scientific-Religious Council calls on believers that it is one of the major sins to sit at tables laid before Iftar.
“Believers who ignore our warning will be taken drastic measures against,” the fatwa says.
Related news releases
- 17.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets AIPAC and Simon Wiesenthal Center leadership in Los Angeles
- 17.05.2018Holy month of Ramadan begins
- 16.05.2018Sinai Temple of Los Angeles hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multi-faith harmony
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: President was enraged over demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: Some circles want to spark unrest in Azerbaijan at the hands of believers
- 15.05.2018CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who attend luxurious ceremonies before iftar will be penalized
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: There is fake mullah problem in Azerbaijan
- 15.05.2018Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Ramadan
- 15.05.2018CMO chairman: Al-Quds is capital of Palestine and belongs to Muslims
- 14.05.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani citizens filled
- 30.04.2018Quota for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan increased
- 19.04.2018List of religious figures to be rendered financial support presented to Moral Values Promotion Foundation
- 12.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Haji Javad Mosque’s building - UPDATED
- 06.04.2018Salman Musayev awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 06.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 04.04.2018Quota for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan reduced
- 29.03.2018Haji Javad Mosque in Baku to open this year
- 28.03.2018CMO chairman: ‘What would I have to do with donation boxes?’
- 28.03.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan appeal to international community
- 28.03.2018CMO chairman: Armenians who became our neighbors 200 years ago turned out to be wicked
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani citizens to pay for Hajj pilgrimage in installments
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani State Committee prevents import of books promoting religious radicalism
- 21.02.2018CMO specifies conditions for Hajj refund
- 21.02.2018Timeframe fixed for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations granted new powers
- 16.02.2018Pilgrims from Azerbaijan banned from leaving Mecca during Hajj
- 15.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijan increased up to 2,000
- 14.02.2018CMO to compensate families of deceased Hajj pilgrims
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman gives instruction to akhunds and imams
- 14.02.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman: It’d displease Allah to be dissatisfied with conditions created for believers in Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani pilgrims sharply reduces
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan to establish Institute of Theology
- 07.02.2018Illegal place of worship found in Khazar district
- 29.01.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry: 162 people violated freedom of religion in 2017
- 25.01.2018CMO chairman to visit Turkey
- 24.01.2018Mubariz Gurbanli: Rules regulating cemeteries and funerals ready
- 19.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 4M to Caucasian Muslims Office
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan approves action plan to combat religious extremism
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan revokes registration of 19 religious communities in 2017
- 24.05.2017CMO warns religious people about use of Ramadan calendars
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who take part in gatherings before Iftar during Ramadan will be fired
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman urges believers not to comment on events taking place in other countries
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament amends law on religious freedom
- 04.05.2017CMO: Ramadan to start on Mary 27
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies