Azerbaijan’s law enforcement authorities issue joint statement on armed attack on Ganja city mayor
The Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the State Security Service have issued another joint statement on an armed attack committed against Ganja City Mayor Elmar Valiyev, APA reports.
"As reported, on 3 July 2018, Ganja-born Yunis Safarov shot and wounded Ganja City Executive Authority Head Elmar Valiyev and Ganja City Police Department employee Gasim Ashbazov. A serious of investigations revealed that the crime committed by Russian citizen Yunis Safarov was a preplanned terrorist attack, reads the statement.
It also became clear that in 2016 Yunis Safarov went to Iran and lived in the city of Qom for eight months, and also underwent military training within the ranks of armed groups together with Azerbaijani citizen Rasim Asadov in the territory of the Syrian Arab Republic, the statement says.
“In 2017, Yunis Safarov returned to Ganja and in June of that year he attacked a police officer at the Ganja branch of Kapitalbank to obtain firearms and took the officer’s Makarov pistol after hitting him in the head. Then he started chasing Ganja City Mayor Elmar Valiyev in January 2018 in order to kill him. When his suspicious behavior drew attention from a police officer, he opened fire at him and wounded him, and then fled the scene,” according to the statement.
The statement further says that on 3 July 2018, Yunis Safarov arrived at the building of the Ganja City Executive Authority and attempted to kill Elmar Valiyev and a police officer who was with him.
“A series of investigations revealed that by committing a terrorist attack, Yunis Safarov intended to create a Sharia-ruled Islamic state in Azerbaijan, murder some well-known statesmen in order to cause a stir, chaos and panic in the republic and to organize a forced seizure of power. With the aim of achieving his goal, Safarov prepared a video message to Azerbaijani citizens on behalf of the movement “Muslim unity”, sent it to like-minded people in foreign countries and proposed them to distribute this video throughout the republic in the event of a terrorist attack in Ganja on July 3.”
“In the video, Safarov says ‘I kill the man who left three children of “Muslim unity” head Taleh Baghirzade without a father, let this be an example! Kill the enemies of Islam, supporters of Islamic society must come to power in Azerbaijan!’ Safarov also called on the people to fight against officials,” reads the statement.
As a result of the investigative and operational measures taken, another 3 members of an organized criminal group, who participated in the preparation of the crime together with Safarov, were detained.
Measures are underway to detain and bring to responsibility other members of the organized criminal group.
The statement notes that legal measures will be taken against those who call for terrorist acts and a forced change of the constitutional order in the republic.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Necessary measures being taken to release Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians: Bar Association
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani police neutralize 47 groups accused of committing grave crimes in H1 2018
- 14.07.2018Three more people arrested in Azerbaijan over Ganja events
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijan’s interior minister convenes board meeting
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan arrests 3, opens 21 criminal cases over open terrorist calls
- 13.07.201811 active participants of Ganja events detained, one liquated
- 12.07.2018Nine arrested over events in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 11.07.2018Three people drown in Caspian Sea
- 11.07.2018Suspect in murder of police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja detained
- 11.07.2018Police officers killed in Ganja showed loyalty to state – deputy interior minister
- 11.07.2018Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan forest belt
- 11.07.2018Police officers martyred in Ganja events laid to rest - UPDATED
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan launches manhunt for two suspects in Ganja events
- 10.07.2018State Security Service: Over 1,000 Azerbaijanis went to Syrian conflict zone
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case against provocative calls on social networks
- 07.07.2018Fire that broke out in Yardimli mountains contained
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijan sets up commission to investigate cross country power failure
- 03.07.2018Deputy PM and Azerenergy chairman visit Mingachevir
- 02.07.2018Over 2,000 crimes are solved in Azerbaijan every year – interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan hit by another earthquake
- 29.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s north
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijani faces terrorist propaganda charge in Georgia for anti-Armenian Facebook post
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani police seize large quantity of drugs
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 06.07.2018Reps of Azerbaijan Anti-Torture Committee meets Yunis Safarov
- 06.07.2018Yunis Safarov is radical-minded person, say relatives
- 06.07.2018Three people drown in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 05.07.2018Ministry: Fire in territory of Azerbaijan Thermal Power Plant extinguished - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list for fighting against NATO forces
- 04.07.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov visits Mingachevir