Azerbaijani court issues verdict against Ramin Hajili and others who sought to get U.S. visa with fake documents
Baku’s Nasimi District Court has concluded the trial on the criminal case against a group of people who are accused of abusing official power, counterfeiting, illegally producing, selling or using formal documents, state awards, stamps, and blanks.
The court issued a verdict giving defendant Ramin Hajili a suspended sentence with a probationary period of two years, APA reported.
Other defendants—Anar Valiyev, Galib Farajov, Orkhan Akbarov, Gismat Mammadov and Javid Mammadov were sentenced to two years of forced labor.
The criminal case was opened as Ramin Hajili presented counterfeit documents to the Consular Section of the US Embassy in Azerbaijan on behalf of a group of people who wanted to travel to the United States.
According to the indictment, Ramin Hajili is accused of falsifying official references certifying workplace and high wages of individuals who applied for US visas.
Anar Valiyev, Galib Farajov, Orkhan Akbarov, Gismat Mammadov and Javid Mammadov were also prosecuted as accused persons.
It was revealed that Ramin Hajili acted in concert with Gismat Mammadov to falsify and sell illegal official documents. Although Hajili is the chairman of NGO Azerbaijan European Movement, he introduced himself to Mammadov, who asked for a US visa, as director of “Elend Educational and Travel Agency” LLC which offers visa services. Thus, he abused his powers.
The verdict was announced a while ago.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani police seize large quantity of drugs
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 08.06.2018Imprisoned lawyer Emin Aslan refutes media reports
- 08.06.2018$70,000 burgled from apartment in Baku
- 07.06.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 07.06.2018MFA: Search underway for missing Azerbaijani student in Italy’s Lake Albano
- 06.06.2018Ombudsman’s Office releases information about Emin Aslanov
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over collapse of bridge over Goychay River
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani court decides man wanted my Germany be extradited to Turkey
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister examines quake-affected houses in Zagatala
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister arrives in quake-hit Zagatala district - UPDATED
- 06.06.2018Zagatala earthquake: Tremors lasted for half a minute
- 06.06.2018Ramin Hajili, banned from leaving Azerbaijan due to his debts, detained at border with Georgia
- 05.06.2018Lawyer Emin Aslan gets 30 days in jail
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement officers eliminate armed trespasser
- 02.06.2018Traffic accident kills 1 and injures 11 in Jalilabad
- 01.06.2018Firefighters extinguish fire at State Social Protection Fund building - UPDATED
- 01.06.20184 foreigners prevented from violating Azerbaijani state border
- 31.05.2018Judge of Baku Appellate Court passes away
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake documents
- 30.05.2018Details emerge of murder of teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan's Shirvan - UPDATED
- 30.05.2018Azerbaijan detains six foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 29.05.2018Female teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan city killed
- 29.05.2018Azerbaijani security service official gets arrested - UPDATED
- 13.10.2017Court extends Afgan Mukhtarli’s pretrial detention
- 13.10.2017Person accused of committing grave crime in Ukraine detained aboard Kyiv-Baku flight
- 13.10.2017Unexploded ammunition found in Baku
- 12.10.2017Supreme Court considers appeal by IBA ex-chairman
- 11.10.2017Brother of Abulfaz Elchibey dies
- 09.10.2017Banking-related criminal cases submitted to courts in Azerbaijan increase in numbers