Azerbaijani faces terrorist propaganda charge in Georgia for anti-Armenian Facebook post
Georgian citizen of Azerbaijani origin Orkhan Abbas face terrorist propaganda charge for his anti-Armenian post on Facebook.
Orkhan Abbas told APA’s Georgia bureau that in his Facebook post he had called Azerbaijanis living in Georgia to stage a protest rally and burn the Armenian flag outside the Armenian Embassy instead of holding a support campaign in front of the Azerbaijani Embassy in Tbilisi.
The Azerbaijani man said he was summoned to the Georgian State Security Service on April 21, 2016.
"After being interrogated for 10 hours there, I was informed a criminal case had been filed against me. In April this year, I was again summoned to the Service and in May the first court hearing on the case was held. The issue of detention was raised under the possibility of escaping to Azerbaijan. After the attorneys raised their objections, I was released for a ransom of 6,000 laris. Because my family could not afford to pay it, we offered as a mortgage an area of land owned by my brother,” he added.
Orkhan Abbas noted that the final hearing in the criminal case was held on June 20, saying the public prosecutor sought 2 to 6 years in prison for him.
“The trial is proceeding and the next hearing is scheduled for July 3. The criminal case brought against me is too unfair and absurd. I’m far from terrorism and radicalism,” he said.
Orkhan Abbas thinks that he is facing discrimination due to being Muslim and an ethnic Azeri.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Necessary measures being taken to release Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians: Bar Association
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani police neutralize 47 groups accused of committing grave crimes in H1 2018
- 14.07.2018Three more people arrested in Azerbaijan over Ganja events
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijan’s interior minister convenes board meeting
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan arrests 3, opens 21 criminal cases over open terrorist calls
- 13.07.201811 active participants of Ganja events detained, one liquated
- 12.07.2018Nine arrested over events in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 11.07.2018Three people drown in Caspian Sea
- 11.07.2018Suspect in murder of police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja detained
- 11.07.2018Police officers killed in Ganja showed loyalty to state – deputy interior minister
- 11.07.2018Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan forest belt
- 11.07.2018Police officers martyred in Ganja events laid to rest - UPDATED
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan launches manhunt for two suspects in Ganja events
- 10.07.2018State Security Service: Over 1,000 Azerbaijanis went to Syrian conflict zone
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case against provocative calls on social networks
- 07.07.2018Fire that broke out in Yardimli mountains contained
- 06.07.2018Three people drown in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Yunis Safarov is radical-minded person, say relatives
- 06.07.2018Reps of Azerbaijan Anti-Torture Committee meets Yunis Safarov
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement authorities issue joint statement on armed attack on Ganja city mayor
- 05.07.2018Ministry: Fire in territory of Azerbaijan Thermal Power Plant extinguished - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list for fighting against NATO forces
- 04.07.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov visits Mingachevir
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijan sets up commission to investigate cross country power failure
- 03.07.2018Deputy PM and Azerenergy chairman visit Mingachevir
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 29.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s north
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan hit by another earthquake
- 02.07.2018Over 2,000 crimes are solved in Azerbaijan every year – interior minister
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani police seize large quantity of drugs
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official