Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
The Azerbaijani State Migration Service and Prosecutor General’s Office have released a joint statement on the detention of illegal migrants.
As a result of anti-migration measures taken by the State Migration Service from January 29 to February 1, it became known that since October 2017, members of an organized group had organized the arrivals of 89 Indian citizens in Baku as tourists under the pretense of providing them employment in the city, by appropriating a large amount of money from them. It was also found out that the abovementioned foreigners illegally stayed on the territory of Azerbaijan despite the expired visa periods, the statement reads.
The collected documents were sent to the Prosecutor General’s Office for the detainees’ actions to be given a legal assessment, according to the statement.
The Investigation Department for Serious Crimes of the Prosecutor General's Office initiated a criminal case under Articles 178.3.1, 178.3.2 (fraud committed by an organized group with causing major damage), 318-1.2.1 and 318-1.2.3 (repeated organization of illegal migration by organized group) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan. An investigation team consisting of employees of the Prosecutor General’s Office and Interior Ministry was set up.
The addresses of the illegal migrants and the organizers of illegal migration were raided, urgent investigative measures were taken and documents necessary for the investigation were seized.
Preliminary investigative actions revealed that Indian citizen Mohammad Shakir and others took 400-800 US dollars from each of the Indian nationals with the promise of arranging their arrivals in Azerbaijan, providing them with housing in the city and legalizing their stay in the country.
A preventive measure in the form of arrest was chosen against Pakistani citizen Sajid Fraz, Indian citizens Mohammad Shakir, Alimuddin Shaikh, SK Allarakhan, suspected of organizing illegal migration and fraudulently seizing others property.
The Embassy of India in Baku was notified through Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry about those who violated Azerbaijan’s migration law.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijan completes execution of presidential order on pardon
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry denies reports of former executive authority head’s death in prison
- 25.05.2018Execution of pardon order begins
- 24.05.2018Two dead bodies found on boat in Caspian Sea – ministry - UPDATED-1
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service, Financial Market Supervisory Authority conduct join operation
- 21.05.2018Baku café explosion: Two dead, two injured - UPDATED-2
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani citizen buried in cemetery of the nameless after committing suicide in Turkey
- 21.05.2018$30,000 and jewelry items worth AZN 100,000 stolen from home in Baku
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan detains Iranian national for attempting to smuggle 10 Scottish Fold kittens to Iran
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan's Pardon Issues Commission considers about 1,100 appeals - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains two over sale of fake excise stamps
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake visas
- 16.05.2018Bodies of all three missing Azerbaijani mountaineers found - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Two houses destroyed after landslide hits Bayil slope in Baku
- 14.05.2018Missile discovered in Goranboy forest
- 08.05.2018Fire in house kills husband and wife in Masalli
- 07.05.2018Baku court commences trial of Moldova citizen accused of stealing about AZN1.5 million from Azerbaijani bank
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan reveals organized group engaged in illicit medicines trade
- 04.05.2018Baku drug rehab center director arrested over 2 March fire accident
- 03.05.20182 persons detained for demanding $50,000 from head of energy drink company in Azerbaijan
- 02.05.2018Remains of 6 Azerbaijanis killed in World War II found in Russia
- 02.05.2018Foreigners detained in Baku for attempting to exchange counterfeit money in bank
- 01.05.20181 killed, 6 injured in nasty traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2018Azerbaijan detains five foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 28.04.2018No one was injured in fire in Baku high-rise – Deputy Minister - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED-5
- 28.04.2018Emergency Situations Ministry issues statement on Baku high-rise fire
- 27.04.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners for attempting to get to Europe on fake passports
- 26.04.2018Former Azerbaijani MP Huseyn Abdullayev faces additional charges
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards foil drug smuggling attempt
- 24.04.2018Details emerge of armed assault on Azerbaijani family in Georgia - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court upholds State Security Service’s AZN 1M lawsuit against liquidated MNS
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against ex-employees of liquidated national security ministry
- 23.04.2018State Security Service: Illegal religious complex revealed in Baku
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 16.04.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow