Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
The Azerbaijani State Migration Service and Prosecutor General’s Office have released a joint statement on the detention of illegal migrants.
As a result of anti-migration measures taken by the State Migration Service from January 29 to February 1, it became known that since October 2017, members of an organized group had organized the arrivals of 89 Indian citizens in Baku as tourists under the pretense of providing them employment in the city, by appropriating a large amount of money from them. It was also found out that the abovementioned foreigners illegally stayed on the territory of Azerbaijan despite the expired visa periods, the statement reads.
The collected documents were sent to the Prosecutor General’s Office for the detainees’ actions to be given a legal assessment, according to the statement.
The Investigation Department for Serious Crimes of the Prosecutor General's Office initiated a criminal case under Articles 178.3.1, 178.3.2 (fraud committed by an organized group with causing major damage), 318-1.2.1 and 318-1.2.3 (repeated organization of illegal migration by organized group) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan. An investigation team consisting of employees of the Prosecutor General’s Office and Interior Ministry was set up.
The addresses of the illegal migrants and the organizers of illegal migration were raided, urgent investigative measures were taken and documents necessary for the investigation were seized.
Preliminary investigative actions revealed that Indian citizen Mohammad Shakir and others took 400-800 US dollars from each of the Indian nationals with the promise of arranging their arrivals in Azerbaijan, providing them with housing in the city and legalizing their stay in the country.
A preventive measure in the form of arrest was chosen against Pakistani citizen Sajid Fraz, Indian citizens Mohammad Shakir, Alimuddin Shaikh, SK Allarakhan, suspected of organizing illegal migration and fraudulently seizing others property.
The Embassy of India in Baku was notified through Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry about those who violated Azerbaijan’s migration law.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 21.02.2018Baku Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case after landslide on Bayil slope
- 21.02.2018Court denies appeal filed by Giyas Ibraimov and his father
- 20.02.2018One of Azerbaijanis injured in Russia apartment fire dies
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED
- 25.01.2018Turkish businessman’s house robbed in Baku
- 24.01.2018Five dismissed from prosecuting authorities in Baku
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Pakistani, Indian nationals accused of organizing illegal migration channel
- 22.01.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan continues
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service exposes big network engaged in currency smuggling
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 18.01.2018Nearly 93% of murders in Baku solved – police chief
- 17.01.2018Pistol found in Baku cemetery
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan concludes investigation of 214 criminal cases against 305 officials in 2017
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Department names most corrupted spheres
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow