Baku drug rehab center director arrested over 2 March fire accident
Baku’s Nasimi District Court on Friday considered a petition filed by an investigative body to sentence the director of the Republican Drug Rehabilitation Center, Telman Mammadhasanov, department head Azad Alakbarov and other official in connection with the fatal fire accident at the Center which killed scores of patients.
The court upheld the petition and sentenced the abovementioned persons to 3 months in prison, APA has learned.
They face charges under articles 225.2 (infringement of fire safety rules that results in the death of a victim or other heavy consequences) and 308.1 (abusing official powers) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Earlier, the Prosecutor General’s Office and the Interior Ministry said in a joint statement that upon the order of the president of Azerbaijan, procedural actions and operational and search measures were carried out, and the victims as well as the center’s medical staff have been interrogated as witnesses in order to investigate the causes of the accident and arrest those guilty of what happened.
Baku resident Mohammad Mammadov, suspected of committing arson on March 2 in the Republican Drug Rehabilitation Center, was arrested.
According to the joint statement, Mammadov diagnosed with "mental disorder as a result of drinking alcohol" was undergoing treatment at the Center.
Confessing to the crime during preliminary interrogation, Mammadov said he decided to commit suicide because of the biased attitude of his family members and the reluctance to be treated at the Center.
On March 2 around 06:00 (UTC +4 hours), he wrapped in a blanket and burned the blanket by a cigarette lighter. Then he changed his mind about committing suicide, threw the blanket onto a bed and left the Center.
Mammadov is charged as guilty under articles 120.2.4 (intentional murder committed with special cruelty), 120.2.7 (deliberate killing of two or more people), 120.2.9 (deliberate killing of a person who is in helpless condition) and 186.2.2 (intentional damage of property as a result of arson, explosion) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The facts were confirmed by witness testimony and records from surveillance cameras installed at the center.
A preventive measure in the form of arrest was been chosen for Mammadov upon a court decision.
A strong fire broke out at 06:10 (UTC +4) on March 2 in a one-story building of Azerbaijan’s Republican Drug Rehabilitation Center. Dozens of people died as a result of the fire, said a joint statement of the Interior Ministry, the Prosecutor General’s Office, the Ministry of Emergency Situations and the Healthcare Ministry of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Necessary measures being taken to release Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians: Bar Association
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani police neutralize 47 groups accused of committing grave crimes in H1 2018
- 14.07.2018Three more people arrested in Azerbaijan over Ganja events
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijan’s interior minister convenes board meeting
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan arrests 3, opens 21 criminal cases over open terrorist calls
- 13.07.201811 active participants of Ganja events detained, one liquated
- 12.07.2018Nine arrested over events in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 11.07.2018Three people drown in Caspian Sea
- 11.07.2018Suspect in murder of police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja detained
- 11.07.2018Police officers killed in Ganja showed loyalty to state – deputy interior minister
- 11.07.2018Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan forest belt
- 11.07.2018Police officers martyred in Ganja events laid to rest - UPDATED
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan launches manhunt for two suspects in Ganja events
- 10.07.2018State Security Service: Over 1,000 Azerbaijanis went to Syrian conflict zone
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case against provocative calls on social networks
- 07.07.2018Fire that broke out in Yardimli mountains contained
- 06.07.2018Three people drown in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Yunis Safarov is radical-minded person, say relatives
- 06.07.2018Reps of Azerbaijan Anti-Torture Committee meets Yunis Safarov
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement authorities issue joint statement on armed attack on Ganja city mayor
- 05.07.2018Ministry: Fire in territory of Azerbaijan Thermal Power Plant extinguished - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list for fighting against NATO forces
- 04.07.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov visits Mingachevir
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijan sets up commission to investigate cross country power failure
- 03.07.2018Deputy PM and Azerenergy chairman visit Mingachevir
- 02.07.2018Over 2,000 crimes are solved in Azerbaijan every year – interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan hit by another earthquake
- 29.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s north
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijani faces terrorist propaganda charge in Georgia for anti-Armenian Facebook post
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani police seize large quantity of drugs
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan reveals organized group engaged in illicit medicines trade
- 07.05.2018Baku court commences trial of Moldova citizen accused of stealing about AZN1.5 million from Azerbaijani bank
- 08.05.2018Fire in house kills husband and wife in Masalli
- 03.05.20182 persons detained for demanding $50,000 from head of energy drink company in Azerbaijan
- 02.05.2018Remains of 6 Azerbaijanis killed in World War II found in Russia
- 02.05.2018Foreigners detained in Baku for attempting to exchange counterfeit money in bank