Baku drug rehab center director arrested over 2 March fire accident
Baku’s Nasimi District Court on Friday considered a petition filed by an investigative body to sentence the director of the Republican Drug Rehabilitation Center, Telman Mammadhasanov, department head Azad Alakbarov and other official in connection with the fatal fire accident at the Center which killed scores of patients.
The court upheld the petition and sentenced the abovementioned persons to 3 months in prison, APA has learned.
They face charges under articles 225.2 (infringement of fire safety rules that results in the death of a victim or other heavy consequences) and 308.1 (abusing official powers) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Earlier, the Prosecutor General’s Office and the Interior Ministry said in a joint statement that upon the order of the president of Azerbaijan, procedural actions and operational and search measures were carried out, and the victims as well as the center’s medical staff have been interrogated as witnesses in order to investigate the causes of the accident and arrest those guilty of what happened.
Baku resident Mohammad Mammadov, suspected of committing arson on March 2 in the Republican Drug Rehabilitation Center, was arrested.
According to the joint statement, Mammadov diagnosed with "mental disorder as a result of drinking alcohol" was undergoing treatment at the Center.
Confessing to the crime during preliminary interrogation, Mammadov said he decided to commit suicide because of the biased attitude of his family members and the reluctance to be treated at the Center.
On March 2 around 06:00 (UTC +4 hours), he wrapped in a blanket and burned the blanket by a cigarette lighter. Then he changed his mind about committing suicide, threw the blanket onto a bed and left the Center.
Mammadov is charged as guilty under articles 120.2.4 (intentional murder committed with special cruelty), 120.2.7 (deliberate killing of two or more people), 120.2.9 (deliberate killing of a person who is in helpless condition) and 186.2.2 (intentional damage of property as a result of arson, explosion) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The facts were confirmed by witness testimony and records from surveillance cameras installed at the center.
A preventive measure in the form of arrest was been chosen for Mammadov upon a court decision.
A strong fire broke out at 06:10 (UTC +4) on March 2 in a one-story building of Azerbaijan’s Republican Drug Rehabilitation Center. Dozens of people died as a result of the fire, said a joint statement of the Interior Ministry, the Prosecutor General’s Office, the Ministry of Emergency Situations and the Healthcare Ministry of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan detains Iranian national for attempting to smuggle 10 Scottish Fold kittens to Iran
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan's Pardon Issues Commission considers about 1,100 appeals - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains two over sale of fake excise stamps
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake visas
- 16.05.2018Bodies of all three missing Azerbaijani mountaineers found - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Two houses destroyed after landslide hits Bayil slope in Baku
- 14.05.2018Missile discovered in Goranboy forest
- 01.05.20181 killed, 6 injured in nasty traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2018Azerbaijan detains five foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 28.04.2018No one was injured in fire in Baku high-rise – Deputy Minister - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED-5
- 28.04.2018Emergency Situations Ministry issues statement on Baku high-rise fire
- 27.04.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners for attempting to get to Europe on fake passports
- 26.04.2018Former Azerbaijani MP Huseyn Abdullayev faces additional charges
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards foil drug smuggling attempt
- 24.04.2018Details emerge of armed assault on Azerbaijani family in Georgia - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court upholds State Security Service’s AZN 1M lawsuit against liquidated MNS
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against ex-employees of liquidated national security ministry
- 23.04.2018State Security Service: Illegal religious complex revealed in Baku
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 16.04.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 13.04.2018Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 12.04.2018Five Sri Lanka citizens detained in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Man who brought illegal drugs worth $40,000 to Azerbaijan detained
- 11.04.2018Mother dies after giving birth in Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Several Nardaran residents detained for illegal arms storage
- 05.04.201873 kg of explosives found in Azerbaijan’s Goygol
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court reaches verdict to release executive director of internet TV ‘Kanal-13’
- 03.04.2018Fire occurs in building settled by IDPs in Baku, 55 evacuated
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office, Interior Ministry comment on statement of former MNS official
- 03.04.2018Director of Shaki Regional Perinatal Center detained
- 02.04.2018French media outlets notified of Rahim Namazov not being a journalist: Azerbaijani Embassy
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case regarding Armenia plundering Azerbaijan's natural resources
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijani killed in Kharkiv identified - EXCLUSIVE
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani man shot and wounded in France after insulting crime bosses
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani shot dead in Ukraine’s Kharkiv
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan reveals organized group engaged in illicit medicines trade
- 07.05.2018Baku court commences trial of Moldova citizen accused of stealing about AZN1.5 million from Azerbaijani bank
- 08.05.2018Fire in house kills husband and wife in Masalli
- 03.05.20182 persons detained for demanding $50,000 from head of energy drink company in Azerbaijan
- 02.05.2018Remains of 6 Azerbaijanis killed in World War II found in Russia
- 02.05.2018Foreigners detained in Baku for attempting to exchange counterfeit money in bank