Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
Details have emerged of the detention of Emin Zeynalov, former deputy chairman of Gunay Bank.
APA has learned that Emin Zeynalov, accused of embezzling 100 million manats, has in fact embezzled no more than 3 million manats from the bank and was dismissed for this reason shortly after.
According to other information, Zeynalov were involved in currency exchange on “black market” with a great deal of funds, creating ‘illegal money circulation scheme’ and embezzled millions of manats in this way.
Media reports that Zeynalov has fled the country and is wanted have not been verified.
According to haqqin.az, law enforcement was appealed to after Zeynalov did not return the money he had embezzled before being dismissed. Shortly after, Zeynalov was detained by the Interior Ministry’s Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime.
Neither the Interior Ministry nor other law enforcement agencies have issued any statement in this regard.
Nevertheless, reports that Zeynalov embezzled a large amount of money from the bank are refuted by both Gunay Bank and the Financial Markets Supervisory Authority.
Speaking to Qafqazinfo portal, Chairman of Gunay Bank’s Supervisory Board Mahmud Mammadov dismissed the allegations as unfounded.
Mammadov noted that Zeynalov had debt obligations to his business partners outside of the bank.
"I dismissed him as soon as I was informed about this issue. However, reports of his departure are groundless,” he added.
Elshan Allahverdiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijan Financial Markets Supervisory Authority, told APA-Economics that reports on Zeynalov’s departure abroad after embezzling $100 million are unfounded.
Zeynalov is also the executive director of the Baku Languages and Business School operating in Baku.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Necessary measures being taken to release Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians: Bar Association
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani police neutralize 47 groups accused of committing grave crimes in H1 2018
- 14.07.2018Three more people arrested in Azerbaijan over Ganja events
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijan’s interior minister convenes board meeting
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan arrests 3, opens 21 criminal cases over open terrorist calls
- 13.07.201811 active participants of Ganja events detained, one liquated
- 12.07.2018Nine arrested over events in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 11.07.2018Three people drown in Caspian Sea
- 11.07.2018Suspect in murder of police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja detained
- 11.07.2018Police officers killed in Ganja showed loyalty to state – deputy interior minister
- 11.07.2018Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan forest belt
- 11.07.2018Police officers martyred in Ganja events laid to rest - UPDATED
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan launches manhunt for two suspects in Ganja events
- 10.07.2018State Security Service: Over 1,000 Azerbaijanis went to Syrian conflict zone
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case against provocative calls on social networks
- 07.07.2018Fire that broke out in Yardimli mountains contained
- 06.07.2018Three people drown in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Yunis Safarov is radical-minded person, say relatives
- 06.07.2018Reps of Azerbaijan Anti-Torture Committee meets Yunis Safarov
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement authorities issue joint statement on armed attack on Ganja city mayor
- 05.07.2018Ministry: Fire in territory of Azerbaijan Thermal Power Plant extinguished - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list for fighting against NATO forces
- 04.07.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov visits Mingachevir
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijan sets up commission to investigate cross country power failure
- 03.07.2018Deputy PM and Azerenergy chairman visit Mingachevir
- 02.07.2018Over 2,000 crimes are solved in Azerbaijan every year – interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan hit by another earthquake
- 29.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s north
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani police seize large quantity of drugs
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijani faces terrorist propaganda charge in Georgia for anti-Armenian Facebook post
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park