Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
The Georgian Prosecutor's Office has initiated a criminal prosecution against an Azerbaijani transplant surgeon.
The Georgian Prosecutor's Office said in a statement today that the surgeon is accused of embezzlement and attempted embezzlement of huge amounts of money of different patients, APA’s Georgia bureau reported.
"Since the surgeon M.K. refuses to appear in the investigative bodies, the prosecutor's office has applied to court with a request to issue a verdict on his detention. Once the request has been approved, the surgeon will be put on the wanted list," said the statement.
According to the statement, the director of Tbilisi’s Lanset clinic invited surgeon M.K from Azerbaijan in 2016. The surgeon was not given a certificate of medical specialty by the Georgian side.
“In order to attract clients, the clinic’s administration started disseminated information via social networks and television that a transplant surgeon had been invited from Turkey who would hold free consultations for people with liver problems,” said the statement.
In February 2016, two Georgian citizens appealed to Lanset clinic for consultation. They were said that they needed immediate liver transplantation and that a group of transplant surgeons from Turkey, who had carried out such operations successfully, were in Georgia by that moment.
One of patients paid the clinic director 99,204 lari (more than $40,000) for transplantation. Then an agreement was made with the other patient, which stated that he would pay $40,000 on April 10, 2016.
Both patients, who underwent surgery in Lancet clinic in March 2016, died a week after the operation.
The director of the Lancet clinic, Farman Jeyranli, was detained in May 2017. Jeyranli is expected to be sentenced from 6 up to 9 years of imprisonment. The Tbilisi City Court is considering the case.
The abovementioned transplant surgeon is Mirjalal Kazimi.
During their arrest Kazimi and Jeyranov pleaded not guilty to the charges brought against them.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: USSR Prosecutor General's Office did not investigate Sumgayit events objectively
- 22.02.2018Sumgayit events masterminded by Armenians and foreign special services, investigator says
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: Investigation proves Sumgayit events committed by Armenian separatist forces
- 21.02.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 21.02.2018Baku Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case after landslide on Bayil slope
- 21.02.2018Court denies appeal filed by Giyas Ibraimov and his father
- 20.02.2018One of Azerbaijanis injured in Russia apartment fire dies
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 25.01.2018Turkish businessman’s house robbed in Baku
- 24.01.2018Five dismissed from prosecuting authorities in Baku
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Pakistani, Indian nationals accused of organizing illegal migration channel
- 22.01.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan continues
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service exposes big network engaged in currency smuggling
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED