Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
The Georgian Prosecutor's Office has initiated a criminal prosecution against an Azerbaijani transplant surgeon.
The Georgian Prosecutor's Office said in a statement today that the surgeon is accused of embezzlement and attempted embezzlement of huge amounts of money of different patients, APA’s Georgia bureau reported.
"Since the surgeon M.K. refuses to appear in the investigative bodies, the prosecutor's office has applied to court with a request to issue a verdict on his detention. Once the request has been approved, the surgeon will be put on the wanted list," said the statement.
According to the statement, the director of Tbilisi’s Lanset clinic invited surgeon M.K from Azerbaijan in 2016. The surgeon was not given a certificate of medical specialty by the Georgian side.
“In order to attract clients, the clinic’s administration started disseminated information via social networks and television that a transplant surgeon had been invited from Turkey who would hold free consultations for people with liver problems,” said the statement.
In February 2016, two Georgian citizens appealed to Lanset clinic for consultation. They were said that they needed immediate liver transplantation and that a group of transplant surgeons from Turkey, who had carried out such operations successfully, were in Georgia by that moment.
One of patients paid the clinic director 99,204 lari (more than $40,000) for transplantation. Then an agreement was made with the other patient, which stated that he would pay $40,000 on April 10, 2016.
Both patients, who underwent surgery in Lancet clinic in March 2016, died a week after the operation.
The director of the Lancet clinic, Farman Jeyranli, was detained in May 2017. Jeyranli is expected to be sentenced from 6 up to 9 years of imprisonment. The Tbilisi City Court is considering the case.
The abovementioned transplant surgeon is Mirjalal Kazimi.
During their arrest Kazimi and Jeyranov pleaded not guilty to the charges brought against them.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018$412,000 financial fraud exposed in APFP - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijan completes execution of presidential order on pardon
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry denies reports of former executive authority head’s death in prison
- 25.05.2018Execution of pardon order begins
- 24.05.2018Two dead bodies found on boat in Caspian Sea – ministry - UPDATED-1
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service, Financial Market Supervisory Authority conduct join operation
- 21.05.2018Baku café explosion: Two dead, two injured - UPDATED-2
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani citizen buried in cemetery of the nameless after committing suicide in Turkey
- 21.05.2018$30,000 and jewelry items worth AZN 100,000 stolen from home in Baku
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan detains Iranian national for attempting to smuggle 10 Scottish Fold kittens to Iran
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan's Pardon Issues Commission considers about 1,100 appeals - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains two over sale of fake excise stamps
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake visas
- 16.05.2018Bodies of all three missing Azerbaijani mountaineers found - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Two houses destroyed after landslide hits Bayil slope in Baku
- 14.05.2018Missile discovered in Goranboy forest
- 08.05.2018Fire in house kills husband and wife in Masalli
- 07.05.2018Baku court commences trial of Moldova citizen accused of stealing about AZN1.5 million from Azerbaijani bank
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan reveals organized group engaged in illicit medicines trade
- 04.05.2018Baku drug rehab center director arrested over 2 March fire accident
- 03.05.20182 persons detained for demanding $50,000 from head of energy drink company in Azerbaijan
- 02.05.2018Remains of 6 Azerbaijanis killed in World War II found in Russia
- 02.05.2018Foreigners detained in Baku for attempting to exchange counterfeit money in bank
- 01.05.20181 killed, 6 injured in nasty traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2018Azerbaijan detains five foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 28.04.2018No one was injured in fire in Baku high-rise – Deputy Minister - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED-5
- 28.04.2018Emergency Situations Ministry issues statement on Baku high-rise fire
- 27.04.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners for attempting to get to Europe on fake passports
- 26.04.2018Former Azerbaijani MP Huseyn Abdullayev faces additional charges
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards foil drug smuggling attempt
- 24.04.2018Details emerge of armed assault on Azerbaijani family in Georgia - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court upholds State Security Service’s AZN 1M lawsuit against liquidated MNS
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against ex-employees of liquidated national security ministry
- 23.04.2018State Security Service: Illegal religious complex revealed in Baku
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED