Interior Minister: 1,028 criminal groups accused of committing 2,698 crimes neutralized in Azerbaijan last year
All Azerbaijani state bodies conducting operational-search and investigative measures registered a total of 26,113 crimes throughout the country in 2017, said Interior Minister, Colonel General Ramil Usubov.
He made the remarks at a board meeting at the Interior Ministry on Monday, APA reported.
The minister noted that that 93.1 percent of all registered crimes were illegal actions investigated by law enforcement and prosecuting authorities. He said that 86.3 percent of these crimes were less grave and did not posed a public threat but the remaining 13.7 percent were grave and especially grave crimes.
Thanks to the preventive measures taken, the total number of crimes committed last year reduced by 2.7 percent compared to 2016, grave and especially grave crimes by 9 percent, premeditated murders by 9.5 percent, robberies by 16.6 percent, fraud by 11.8 percent, extortion with threats by 10.5 percent, hooliganism by 15.1 percent, crimes involving the use of firearms by 12.5 percent, road accidents by 8.6 percent, those killed in accidents by 1.2 and those injured by 14.2 percent.
Besides, 418 crimes were solved as a result of joint measures taken jointly by law enforcement and prosecuting authorities. Thanks to the Safe City system, 624 crimes were disclosed and 18,132 road accidents were registered. Some 3,415 people (13 percent more suspects compared to the same period of 2016) who evaded judicial and investigative authorities were detained.
In 2017 the locations of 76 people declared wanted by the Interpol National Central Bureau and 39 individual wanted by Interpol member countries were identified. In general, the index of search work was 71.4%.
The minister went on to say that 1,028 criminal groups accused of committing 2,698 crimes were neutralized during the reporting period.
As a result of measures taken against drug trafficking in 2017, which is considered a transnational organized crime, 994.5 kilograms of drugs were seized, and 78 criminal groups were neutralized. About 175 tons of illegally cultivated wild hemp and cannabis bushes were discovered and destroyed.
The minister also spoke about the measures taken against human trafficking.
As a result of the measures, 142 cases of human trafficking and 6 cases of forced labor were exposed, and 8 criminal groups of 17 individuals were detained. In the framework of activities to protect victims, restore rights and ensure their social rehabilitation, 71 people were reintegrated into society.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: USSR Prosecutor General's Office did not investigate Sumgayit events objectively
- 22.02.2018Sumgayit events masterminded by Armenians and foreign special services, investigator says
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: Investigation proves Sumgayit events committed by Armenian separatist forces
- 21.02.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 21.02.2018Baku Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case after landslide on Bayil slope
- 21.02.2018Court denies appeal filed by Giyas Ibraimov and his father
- 20.02.2018One of Azerbaijanis injured in Russia apartment fire dies
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 15.01.2018More details emerge of detention of Russian scientist in Azerbaijan
- 16.01.2018Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Dept: Properties worth AZN 15 mln of people accused of corruption seized
- 13.01.2018Artillery shells found in Aghdam’s Guzanli
- 13.01.2018Attic of residential house collapses in Shirvan, one person gets stuck under
- 13.01.2018Two detained in Azerbaijan over hoax call about terror attack, police say