Interior Minister: 1,028 criminal groups accused of committing 2,698 crimes neutralized in Azerbaijan last year
All Azerbaijani state bodies conducting operational-search and investigative measures registered a total of 26,113 crimes throughout the country in 2017, said Interior Minister, Colonel General Ramil Usubov.
He made the remarks at a board meeting at the Interior Ministry on Monday, APA reported.
The minister noted that that 93.1 percent of all registered crimes were illegal actions investigated by law enforcement and prosecuting authorities. He said that 86.3 percent of these crimes were less grave and did not posed a public threat but the remaining 13.7 percent were grave and especially grave crimes.
Thanks to the preventive measures taken, the total number of crimes committed last year reduced by 2.7 percent compared to 2016, grave and especially grave crimes by 9 percent, premeditated murders by 9.5 percent, robberies by 16.6 percent, fraud by 11.8 percent, extortion with threats by 10.5 percent, hooliganism by 15.1 percent, crimes involving the use of firearms by 12.5 percent, road accidents by 8.6 percent, those killed in accidents by 1.2 and those injured by 14.2 percent.
Besides, 418 crimes were solved as a result of joint measures taken jointly by law enforcement and prosecuting authorities. Thanks to the Safe City system, 624 crimes were disclosed and 18,132 road accidents were registered. Some 3,415 people (13 percent more suspects compared to the same period of 2016) who evaded judicial and investigative authorities were detained.
In 2017 the locations of 76 people declared wanted by the Interpol National Central Bureau and 39 individual wanted by Interpol member countries were identified. In general, the index of search work was 71.4%.
The minister went on to say that 1,028 criminal groups accused of committing 2,698 crimes were neutralized during the reporting period.
As a result of measures taken against drug trafficking in 2017, which is considered a transnational organized crime, 994.5 kilograms of drugs were seized, and 78 criminal groups were neutralized. About 175 tons of illegally cultivated wild hemp and cannabis bushes were discovered and destroyed.
The minister also spoke about the measures taken against human trafficking.
As a result of the measures, 142 cases of human trafficking and 6 cases of forced labor were exposed, and 8 criminal groups of 17 individuals were detained. In the framework of activities to protect victims, restore rights and ensure their social rehabilitation, 71 people were reintegrated into society.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018$412,000 financial fraud exposed in APFP - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijan completes execution of presidential order on pardon
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry denies reports of former executive authority head’s death in prison
- 25.05.2018Execution of pardon order begins
- 24.05.2018Two dead bodies found on boat in Caspian Sea – ministry - UPDATED-1
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service, Financial Market Supervisory Authority conduct join operation
- 21.05.2018Baku café explosion: Two dead, two injured - UPDATED-2
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani citizen buried in cemetery of the nameless after committing suicide in Turkey
- 21.05.2018$30,000 and jewelry items worth AZN 100,000 stolen from home in Baku
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan detains Iranian national for attempting to smuggle 10 Scottish Fold kittens to Iran
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan's Pardon Issues Commission considers about 1,100 appeals - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains two over sale of fake excise stamps
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake visas
- 16.05.2018Bodies of all three missing Azerbaijani mountaineers found - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Two houses destroyed after landslide hits Bayil slope in Baku
- 14.05.2018Missile discovered in Goranboy forest
- 08.05.2018Fire in house kills husband and wife in Masalli
- 07.05.2018Baku court commences trial of Moldova citizen accused of stealing about AZN1.5 million from Azerbaijani bank
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan reveals organized group engaged in illicit medicines trade
- 04.05.2018Baku drug rehab center director arrested over 2 March fire accident
- 03.05.20182 persons detained for demanding $50,000 from head of energy drink company in Azerbaijan
- 02.05.2018Remains of 6 Azerbaijanis killed in World War II found in Russia
- 02.05.2018Foreigners detained in Baku for attempting to exchange counterfeit money in bank
- 01.05.20181 killed, 6 injured in nasty traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2018Azerbaijan detains five foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 28.04.2018No one was injured in fire in Baku high-rise – Deputy Minister - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED-5
- 28.04.2018Emergency Situations Ministry issues statement on Baku high-rise fire
- 27.04.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners for attempting to get to Europe on fake passports
- 26.04.2018Former Azerbaijani MP Huseyn Abdullayev faces additional charges
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards foil drug smuggling attempt
- 24.04.2018Details emerge of armed assault on Azerbaijani family in Georgia - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court upholds State Security Service’s AZN 1M lawsuit against liquidated MNS
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against ex-employees of liquidated national security ministry
- 23.04.2018State Security Service: Illegal religious complex revealed in Baku
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 15.01.2018More details emerge of detention of Russian scientist in Azerbaijan
- 16.01.2018Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Dept: Properties worth AZN 15 mln of people accused of corruption seized
- 13.01.2018Artillery shells found in Aghdam’s Guzanli
- 13.01.2018Attic of residential house collapses in Shirvan, one person gets stuck under
- 13.01.2018Two detained in Azerbaijan over hoax call about terror attack, police say