Supreme Court considers appeal by IBA ex-chairman
The Supreme Court of Azerbaijan on Thursday considered a cassation appeal filed against the court decision with regard to Jahangir Hajiyev, former chairman of the board of the International Bank of Azerbaijan (IBA), APA reported.
Hajiyev’s lawyers filed a petition asking the court for time to reconsider the appeal. The court upheld the petition. Thus, the court sent the appeal back.
A judge said that a cassation appeal was also filed against the court decision on another accused Azad Javadov. The judge noted that both defendants appealed sent an appeal to the court, in which they confirmed the petitions of their lawyers.
The former chairman of the board of the International Bank of Azerbaijan Jahangir Hajiyev, the former heads of the bank’s Central branch Anar Sultanov and Ilgar Abdullayev, the former director of Inter Security LLC Ibrahim Huseynov, the former head of the bank’s Central branch Yusif Alakbarov, the former head of the bank’s Transport Branch Kanan Orujov, the former head of the bank’s Narimanov Branch Mammad Jahangirov and the former director of the Baku hazelnut factory Azad Javadov, who are involved in the case, were arrested on charges under articles 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale by an organized group), 308.2 (abuse of power, resulting in grave consequences), 309.2 (abuse of power, resulting in grave crimes), 313 (official forgery), 228.1 and 228.4 (illegal storage and carrying of firearms).
Jahangir Hajiyev was sentenced to 15 years in prison, Azad Javadov to 10 years and 11 months, Yusif Alakbarov to 7.5 years, and Ibrahim Huseynov to 6 years and 5 months. Mammad Jahangirov got 7 years and 6 months of suspended sentence.
The appeals filed by the defendants against the court decision were denied.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani police seize large quantity of drugs
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 08.06.2018Imprisoned lawyer Emin Aslan refutes media reports
- 08.06.2018$70,000 burgled from apartment in Baku
- 07.06.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 07.06.2018MFA: Search underway for missing Azerbaijani student in Italy’s Lake Albano
- 06.06.2018Ombudsman’s Office releases information about Emin Aslanov
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over collapse of bridge over Goychay River
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani court decides man wanted my Germany be extradited to Turkey
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister examines quake-affected houses in Zagatala
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister arrives in quake-hit Zagatala district - UPDATED
- 06.06.2018Zagatala earthquake: Tremors lasted for half a minute
- 06.06.2018Ramin Hajili, banned from leaving Azerbaijan due to his debts, detained at border with Georgia
- 05.06.2018Lawyer Emin Aslan gets 30 days in jail
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement officers eliminate armed trespasser
- 02.06.2018Traffic accident kills 1 and injures 11 in Jalilabad
- 01.06.2018Firefighters extinguish fire at State Social Protection Fund building - UPDATED
- 01.06.20184 foreigners prevented from violating Azerbaijani state border
- 31.05.2018Judge of Baku Appellate Court passes away
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake documents
- 30.05.2018Details emerge of murder of teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan's Shirvan - UPDATED
- 30.05.2018Azerbaijan detains six foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 29.05.2018Female teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan city killed
- 29.05.2018Azerbaijani security service official gets arrested - UPDATED
- 02.02.2017Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijani detained along with National Bank department director over bribery in Ukraine
- 04.02.2017Azerbaijan registers 90 crimes in one day
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 30.01.2017140 inmates and detainees died in Azerbaijan last year