Yunis Safarov is radical-minded person, say relatives
Yunis Safarov, who a few days ago attempted to assassinate Head of Ganja City Executive Authority Elmar Valiyev and a police officer is a radical-minded person, his relatives told APA’s Moscow correspondent.
They said that Yunis Safarov received secondary education at School No.157 named after Karim Karimov in Moscow. His mother, Leyla Safarova, was a librarian in the same school.
Curious about philosophy and religion since childhood, Yunis Safarov studied law in Moscow in accordance with his mother’s wishes and even taught history in that university for a year. However, he was dismissed from university after the parents of some students complained of him. He is said to have instilled religious ideas in students during classes.
Later on, Yunis headed to Iran in search of religious education. He studied and lived there for a while.
Safarov’s relatives noted that he was doing sports, was a religious fanatic and prone to radicalism.
Safarov is married, has a son and a daughter.
According to his relatives, Safarov did not serve in the army.
Safarov’s mother lives in Moscow. It was noted that Yunis had his own house on Moscow’s Myakinino district. It was also revealed that Safarov’s father left them when he was a child, and his mother raised him and Safarov his sister.
According to the information, Safarov’s sister lives in Greece.
On 3 July 2018, Ganja-born Yunis Safarov shot and wounded Ganja City Executive Authority Head Elmar Valiyev and Ganja City Police Department employee Gasim Ashbazov. A serious of investigations revealed that the crime committed by Russian citizen Yunis Safarov was a preplanned terrorist attack.
It also became clear that in 2016 Yunis Safarov went to Iran and lived in the city of Qom for eight months, and also underwent military training within the ranks of armed groups together with Azerbaijani citizen Rasim Asadov in the territory of the Syrian Arab Republic, the statement says.
There were rumors in social networks that Safarov committed an armed attack against Ganja City Mayor Elmar Valiyev because the latter insulted his pregnant sister.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Necessary measures being taken to release Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians: Bar Association
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani police neutralize 47 groups accused of committing grave crimes in H1 2018
- 14.07.2018Three more people arrested in Azerbaijan over Ganja events
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijan’s interior minister convenes board meeting
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan arrests 3, opens 21 criminal cases over open terrorist calls
- 13.07.201811 active participants of Ganja events detained, one liquated
- 12.07.2018Nine arrested over events in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 11.07.2018Three people drown in Caspian Sea
- 11.07.2018Suspect in murder of police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja detained
- 11.07.2018Police officers killed in Ganja showed loyalty to state – deputy interior minister
- 11.07.2018Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan forest belt
- 11.07.2018Police officers martyred in Ganja events laid to rest - UPDATED
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan launches manhunt for two suspects in Ganja events
- 10.07.2018State Security Service: Over 1,000 Azerbaijanis went to Syrian conflict zone
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list for fighting against NATO forces
- 04.07.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov visits Mingachevir
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijan sets up commission to investigate cross country power failure
- 03.07.2018Deputy PM and Azerenergy chairman visit Mingachevir
- 02.07.2018Over 2,000 crimes are solved in Azerbaijan every year – interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan hit by another earthquake
- 29.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s north
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijani faces terrorist propaganda charge in Georgia for anti-Armenian Facebook post
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani police seize large quantity of drugs
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 06.07.2018Three people drown in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 07.07.2018Fire that broke out in Yardimli mountains contained
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case against provocative calls on social networks
- 06.07.2018Reps of Azerbaijan Anti-Torture Committee meets Yunis Safarov
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement authorities issue joint statement on armed attack on Ganja city mayor
- 05.07.2018Ministry: Fire in territory of Azerbaijan Thermal Power Plant extinguished - UPDATED