Escaped convict and one more person killed in special operation in Baku - UPDATED
Etibar Mammadov, who escaped from a train during transportation to Baku on October 23, and one more person was killed and one was wounded in a special operation conducted in Garadagh district, Baku on the night of November 2.
Police were met with an armed resistance during the special operation held to capture the escaped convict Etibar Mammadov, nicknamed “Goja”, law enforcement authorities told APA.
As a result, the escapee and Ilgar Azimov were killed, while Anar Asgarov was wounded.
Adalat Dadashov, head physician of the Clinical Medical Center № 1, told APA that Anar Asgarov’s condition is satisfactory and there is no threat to his life.
“The bullet that entered his shoulder got stuck in the body. He has a broken arm. Asgarov will be taken for testimony after receiving the necessary medical care,” he added.
A special operation was conducted on the night of November 2 to capture Etibar Mammadov, nicknamed “Goja”, who escaped from a train during transportation to Baku on Oct. 23.
Etibar Mammadov and the people, who were with him, committed an armed resistance during the special operation conducted in Garadagh district. As a result, the escaped convict Mammadov was killed, APA has learned.
The Prosecutor General’s Office confirmed Mammadov’s death to APA.
On October 23, Etibar Mammadov and Ali Aghami, arrested on numerous charges, escaped from a train in Bilajari settlement during transportation to Baku, being accompanied by guards.
On the incident, the Investigation Department for Grave Crimes of the Azerbaijani General Prosecutor’s Office has filed a criminal case on Articles 304.2 (escape from places of imprisonment, from place of arrest or from place guard) and 308.2 (abuse of power).
Three persons – Mahammad Hajiyev, Gunay Atakishiyeva and Fedaya Lachin, were detained on charges of helping the prisoners. They were put in pre-trial detention.
A few employees of the Penitentiary Service were arrested and removed from duty over the incident.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Akif Chovdarov files appeal against verdict
- 19.11.20175.9-magnitude quake hits 73 km NNE of Tobelo, Indonesia
- 16.11.20173.5-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Prison term for Gozal Bayramli extended
- 03.10.2017Court rejects Rauf Mirgadirov’s appeal
- 01.10.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Russia's Kamchatka peninsula
- 29.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body brought to Baku
- 27.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi
- 27.09.2017Seven people killed in car crash in Azerbaijan identified - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to Georgia to tackle forest fires
- 22.09.2017OPEC and non-OPEC countries to discuss oil export monitoring mechanism
- 19.09.20174 women killed, 3 others injured in severe traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani minister's son died
- 14.09.2017Alexander Lapshin left Azerbaijan
- 08.09.201726 of 39 poisoned people at the wedding in Tovuz, discharged home - UPDATED - 3
- 07.09.2017Court to consider Mehman Aliyev’s appeal on Sept.8
- 03.09.2017183 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Khizi region
- 02.09.2017Ministry: The strong wind expands the fire area in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Forest fire in Oguz region spread to the territory of the Shahdag National Park
- 31.08.2017Court refuses to commute Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention to house arrest
- 30.08.2017Akif Chovdarov’s lawyer asks court for one month to prepare speech
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan State Security Service prevents smuggling of 44kg drugs
- 30.08.2017119 UXOs and 227 EBOs detected in Khizi region of Azerbaijan
- 29.08.2017Helicopter involved in extinguishing forest fires in Azerbaijan
- 28.08.2017Criminal case against Natig Jafarli terminated
- 26.08.2017The first staff of the rescue and fire-fighting team of the MES returned to country from Georgia
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter involved in tackling fires in Georgia today as well
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijan's firefighters continue to battle Georgia wildfires, set up field tents
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s rescue team involved in extinguishing forest fires in Georgia
- 21.08.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 14.08.2017Large amount of money and jewelry stolen in house in Baku
- 10.08.2017The Ministry of Emergency Situations disseminates information on the fire in Binagadi district
- 06.08.2017Fire occurs at the dormitory in Sumgayit, 15 residents rescued, 20 were evacuated
- 03.08.20172 killed, 1 injured in a fatal traffic accident in Baku
- 26.07.2017Reasons of suicide committed in Shamkir known - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Turkish plane is rerouted to Algiers after false bomb alert
- 21.07.2017Magnitude 6.7 quake hits Turkey’s west coast, up to 70 people injured
- 18.07.2017Incident occurred among fans of Samtredia FC and Garabagh FC in Tbilisi
- 05.07.2017452 kg drugs burned in Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2017Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over Armenian provocative acts
- 02.11.2017The school director accused of sexual assault against schoolgirl in Khacmaz region arresred
- 03.11.2017Eldar Mahmudov's assistant arrested
- 14.11.2017Iran earthquake death toll reached 530 people
- 20.10.2017Municipal candidate of Azerbaijani origin shot in Georgia
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan neutralized 99 criminal groups of 228 persons this year
- 14.10.2017Baku police detain members of gang committing robbery against foreigners