Small asteroid will pass very close to Earth on Friday
An asteroid between 50 and 130 feet wide will fly by the Earth on Friday on a path closer than the moon's, NASA said this week, APA reports quoting CNN.
Asteroid 2018 CB is the second small asteroid to buzz by the planet this week, according to NASA.
"Asteroids of this size do not often approach this close to our planet -- maybe only once or twice a year," said Paul Chodas, manager of the Center for Near-Earth Object Studies at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.
NASA said 2018 CB will safely pass the Earth at a distance of 39,000 miles, pretty close by space standards.
On Tuesday, 2018 CC was about 114,000 miles away when it flew by Earth.
The moon is an average of 240,000 miles from Earth.
NASA detects about 1,500 new near-Earth objects a year. Small asteroids pass between the planet and the moon several times a month.
Earth isn't at significant risk of getting hit by any known asteroid for at least 100 years.
Related news releases
- 06.02.2018The Ministry of Defense Industry releases information on the fire occured in the plant
- 06.02.2018The Ministry of Emergency Situations disseminated information in connection with the explosion at the plant in Baku
- 06.02.2018Explosion occurred in Radio engineering plant in Baku, no one injured - UPDATED
- 02.02.2018Boiler room explosion rocks Turkish capital, no casualties: governor
- 26.01.2018South Korea hospital fire kills 33, injures 50
- 26.01.20184 killed in Ukranian helicopter crash
- 23.01.2018A prominent Azerbaijani journalist dies
- 12.01.2018MES "The search of the missing climbers is carried out on a high mountain range with a complex terrain"
- 07.01.2018Dozens Injured in 5.1 Quake in Western Iran
- 06.01.2018Names of injured in bus crash in Baku revealed
- 06.01.2018Magnitude 5.1 quake hits western Iran
- 05.01.2018Foreign experts visit area of search of missing climbers
- 05.01.2018Kamchatka volcano spits up ash 5-7 kilometers high
- 04.01.2018Search for the missing mountaineers continued today - PHOTO - VIDEO
- 31.12.2017The People's Artist of Azerbaijan Chingiz Sadykhov dies
- 29.12.2017MES: "The search of climbers is conducted in all possible directions"
- 27.12.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations appeals to social network users and media
- 09.12.20174 killed, 4 injured in a traffic accident in Sheki
- 05.12.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 4 in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Brazil striker given prison sentence
- 20.11.2017Akif Chovdarov files appeal against verdict
- 19.11.20175.9-magnitude quake hits 73 km NNE of Tobelo, Indonesia
- 16.11.20173.5-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Iran earthquake death toll reached 530 people
- 03.11.2017Eldar Mahmudov's assistant arrested
- 02.11.2017The school director accused of sexual assault against schoolgirl in Khacmaz region arresred
- 02.11.2017Escaped convict and one more person killed in special operation in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Municipal candidate of Azerbaijani origin shot in Georgia
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan neutralized 99 criminal groups of 228 persons this year
- 14.10.2017Baku police detain members of gang committing robbery against foreigners
- 06.10.2017Prison term for Gozal Bayramli extended
- 03.10.2017Court rejects Rauf Mirgadirov’s appeal
- 01.10.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Russia's Kamchatka peninsula
- 29.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body brought to Baku
- 27.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi
- 27.09.2017Seven people killed in car crash in Azerbaijan identified - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to Georgia to tackle forest fires
- 22.09.2017OPEC and non-OPEC countries to discuss oil export monitoring mechanism
- 19.09.20174 women killed, 3 others injured in severe traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani minister's son died
- 17.02.2018SOCAR's petrol tanker burst into flames in Georgia
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan's People's Artist Zarnigar Agakishiyeva dies
- 07.02.2018Fire broke out in Baku, 30 people were evacuated
- 07.02.2018Elon Musk's Falcon Heavy rocket launches successfully