Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
Turkish forces rescued Russian soldiers when a warship sank off Turkey’s Black Sea coast, the army said on Thursday, APA reports quoting AA.
The Turkish General Staff said in a statement on its website that the army responded to the accident immediately and saved the 78-member crew of the Russian ship.
Earlier on Thursday, the RFS Liman, a Russian surveillance vessel, hit a merchant freighter due to fog 15 nautical miles (29 kilometers) off the European coastline to the northwest of where the Bosphorus meets the Black Sea.
“The Russian warship sank shortly after the accident. There are no missing crew members,” the statement added.
The Togo-flagged freighter suffered minimal damage, the statement said, adding there were no injured crew members in the ship, which was traveling from Romania to Jordan.
While the Turkish navy joined the rescue operation with two assault boats, a rescue vessel, a patrol vessel and a helicopter, Turkish air forces used a rescue aircraft and a helicopter. The Turkish Coast Guard provided a boat and a helicopter for the operation, the statement added.
Meanwhile, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim spoke with his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev by telephone about the incident.
Yildirim expressed his sorrow about the accident and informed Medvedev on the situation of the rescued crew, an official in the Prime Ministry said on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.
Medvedev thanked the Turkish PM for the efforts to rescue the Russian crew.
Related news releases
- 12.01.2018MES "The search of the missing climbers is carried out on a high mountain range with a complex terrain"
- 07.01.2018Dozens Injured in 5.1 Quake in Western Iran
- 06.01.2018Names of injured in bus crash in Baku revealed
- 06.01.2018Magnitude 5.1 quake hits western Iran
- 05.01.2018Foreign experts visit area of search of missing climbers
- 05.01.2018Kamchatka volcano spits up ash 5-7 kilometers high
- 04.01.2018Search for the missing mountaineers continued today - PHOTO - VIDEO
- 31.12.2017The People's Artist of Azerbaijan Chingiz Sadykhov dies
- 29.12.2017MES: "The search of climbers is conducted in all possible directions"
- 27.12.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations appeals to social network users and media
- 09.12.20174 killed, 4 injured in a traffic accident in Sheki
- 05.12.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 4 in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Brazil striker given prison sentence
- 20.11.2017Akif Chovdarov files appeal against verdict
- 19.11.20175.9-magnitude quake hits 73 km NNE of Tobelo, Indonesia
- 16.11.20173.5-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Iran earthquake death toll reached 530 people
- 03.11.2017Eldar Mahmudov's assistant arrested
- 02.11.2017The school director accused of sexual assault against schoolgirl in Khacmaz region arresred
- 02.11.2017Escaped convict and one more person killed in special operation in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Municipal candidate of Azerbaijani origin shot in Georgia
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan neutralized 99 criminal groups of 228 persons this year
- 14.10.2017Baku police detain members of gang committing robbery against foreigners
- 06.10.2017Prison term for Gozal Bayramli extended
- 03.10.2017Court rejects Rauf Mirgadirov’s appeal
- 01.10.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Russia's Kamchatka peninsula
- 29.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body brought to Baku
- 27.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi
- 27.09.2017Seven people killed in car crash in Azerbaijan identified - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to Georgia to tackle forest fires
- 22.09.2017OPEC and non-OPEC countries to discuss oil export monitoring mechanism
- 19.09.20174 women killed, 3 others injured in severe traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani minister's son died
- 14.09.2017Alexander Lapshin left Azerbaijan
- 08.09.201726 of 39 poisoned people at the wedding in Tovuz, discharged home - UPDATED - 3
- 07.09.2017Court to consider Mehman Aliyev’s appeal on Sept.8
- 03.09.2017183 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Khizi region
- 02.09.2017Ministry: The strong wind expands the fire area in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Forest fire in Oguz region spread to the territory of the Shahdag National Park
- 31.08.2017Court refuses to commute Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention to house arrest
- 28.04.2017Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
- 06.05.2017The famous Azerbaijani scientist Rafiga Aliyeva died
- 11.05.2017Strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others
- 13.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues