Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
The Baku Military Court held a trial on Friday in the criminal case of the former head of the main counter-intelligence directorate of the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) of Azerbaijan, Miraziz Asgarov, accused of extorting a large sum of money from businessman Vidadi Azizov.
Victim Vidadi Azizov testified at the trial presided over by judge Elbay Allahverdiyev, claming that he had never been acquainted with Miraziz Asgarov before, APA reported.
Confirming the testimony he gave during the investigation, Azizov said that money was transferred from Dubai to Zaminbank in 2012.
“My friend named Nariman gave me one million manats that he took from the bank, and I returned 300,000 manat to him. At that time, I bought a house from a friend of Nariman, and the money should be transferred to him. At that moment, were surrounded by some MNS employees and taken to the ministry, where I was accused of treason and spying for Iran,” said victim Azizov.
The victim noted that he then talked to Asgarov and agreed on his release in exchange for money: “I said I would give him 100,000 manats. When asked where I would get this amount, I replied that I would give some of the money they had taken from me. Then, Asgarov said that this money does not belong to me.”
The victim said he was kept at the ministry till the night, then was released without being questioned. They took 300,000 dollars from him for the release.
Azizov said that Asgarov demanded 100,000 dollars from him, but they agreed on 40,000 dollars.
“I was asked about the head of an Iranian company, Jamshidian, they noted that he is a general of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). I said I knew him as a businessman, I’ve met with heads of several leading companies in Iran and Jamshidian was one of them,” he added.
Miraziz Asgarov accused the victim of lying.
“We have collected enough evidence about Vidadi Azizov. He said that Jamshidian is an Iranian businessman. Everyone knows that Jamshidian was an IRGC general. He said he couldn’t present documents on business activities with those companies. The reason is that Iran was under international sanctions at that time. These companies were operating illegally, engaged in money laundering,” he added.
The trial will be continued on May 12.
Related news releases
- 13.07.2018The Ministry of Emergency Situations disseminates information in connection with a strong fire in Agsu
- 12.07.2018Ministry of Emergency Situations: The fire in Agsu is extinguished
- 10.07.201820 injured in South Africa plane crash
- 10.07.2018An unsanctioned protest action prevented in Ganja, two police officers injured
- 10.07.2018Consistent, systematic work underway in Azerbaijan to prevent extremist, radical tendencies: State Security Service
- 08.07.20186.5-magnitude quake hits L'Esperance Rock, New Zealand
- 04.07.2018Ganja EP: Elmar Veliyev's condition is normal
- 04.07.2018The Prosecutor General's Office, MİA and the SSC issue a joint statement on the attack on Elmar Veliyev
- 03.07.2018Ganja Executive Power subjected to an armed attack
- 03.07.2018The evacuation process has been fully implemented in Baku Metro and the subway is equipped with electricity
- 03.07.2018Parviz Shahbazov: "Electricity supply to all strategic facilities has been restored"
- 03.07.2018Electricity supply to all facilities of state importance in Baku restored
- 03.07.2018Power to Heydar Aliyev International Airport and Baku Metro has been restored
- 03.07.2018Electricity supply to most districts of Baku restored - UPDATED
- 03.07.2018Ministry of Energy and "Azerenergy" OJSC release joint information on accident at Mingachevir TPS
- 03.07.2018Azerenergy official: "It is planned to provide full energy supply within next hours"
- 03.07.2018Incident in Mingachevir TPS under control of Azerbaijani President
- 03.07.2018Kemaleddin Heydarov: Maintenance is already underway at damaged block
- 03.07.2018MES: Fire extinguished in Mingachevir TPS, electricity supply being restored - UPDATED-1
- 27.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 23.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 15.06.20183 died, another 3 injured as car crashes into cows in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2018An armed incident occurs in a penitentiary in Baku
- 06.06.2018Strong earthquake in Zaqatala causes cracks in the walls of a number of houses
- 05.06.2018Magnitude 6 earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 04.06.2018“Border-Shield” operation launched on Azerbaijani-Russian border
- 03.06.20182 climbers killed after fall from Yosemite’s El Capitan
- 02.06.2018The mudflow destroyed the bridge in Goychay
- 01.06.2018Armed man attacks on apartment, shoots mother and daughter
- 30.05.201814 people injured and 25 cars damaged after bus crash in Dartford
- 29.05.2018Russian Journalist Killed in Kiev - Ukraine's Interior Ministry
- 17.05.2018Group head: "Missing mountaineers have fallen under a powerful avalanche"
- 17.05.2018Bodies of the missing mountaineers were taken to morgue
- 16.05.2018President Aliyev: Great work done to ensure Nakhchivan’s security
- 29.04.2018The fire in a multi-storey building in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 28.04.2018Il-38 plane of Indian Air Force makes emergency landing at Moscow region's airport
- 20.04.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Fire in a multi-storied residential building under construction in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 07.04.2018Helicopter rescues fisherman stuck among crocodiles
- 01.04.20186 killed and 2 injured in head-on collision between passenger car and truck in Azerbaijan
- 06.05.2017The famous Azerbaijani scientist Rafiga Aliyeva died
- 11.05.2017Strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli - UPDATED
- 13.05.2017Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 27.04.2017Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others