President: Number of false, unbiased pieces of information dramatically increased in Azerbaijani media
As in every country, journalism should reflect the truth in Azerbaijan, the country’s president, Ilham Aliyev, said at the ceremony of presenting apartments to journalists in a newly built building in Baku on the occasion of the National Press Day, APA reported.
“You too know that there is a need to talk about it on a global scale as it is not always so. We see that information campaigns of both external and internal nature are being carried out in many countries across the globe for certain purposes which are often falsely considered to be more important than the truth. Therefore, the principle of truth must be held the highest in journalism,” the president said.
President Aliyev stressed that the number of unverified and biased information in the Azerbaijani media has dropped dramatically.
"Society sees this. So do journalists. Of course, this is possible thanks to the activities of journalists. This, first of all, was the result of the increased responsibility of journalists,” the president said. “At the same time, every media outlet understands that it is possible to lie once, twice, or three times, and then no one will believe in that press. Therefore, the establishment of the principle of truth in journalism is, of course, remarkable and I believe that in recent years there has been a positive trend in this direction in Azerbaijan.”
According to him, journalism should be as objective as possible.
"It is difficult to achieve full objectivity. Everyone, of course, tends to be subjective at times and journalists are no exception. But journalists have a greater responsibility. What they write may hurt some, create problems, or solve problems. So I ask you to pay greater attention to issues of responsibility in journalism. This is a process that goes in parallel with reality and objectivity,” he added.
The head of state said that in recent years journalism in Azerbaijan has been more responsible and more cautious in this direction.
"In this respect, our journalists are ahead of some so-called politicians. I think that the ongoing reforms in our journalism in this direction will continue. We are well aware of the trends in our journalism in the 1990s. At that time we faced a very sad situation. That is, there were increasing lies, insults, and slanders in some media outlets, but now both our society and our journalism have developed. Today our journalists are highly responsible,” President Aliyev said.
Related news releases
- 16.11.2017APA now available on Facebook Messenger
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan to impose new fines for violation of rules for dissemination of info on Internet
- 16.11.2017APA Information Agency celebrates 13th anniversary
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company sends letter to EBU
- 14.11.2017New director general of CBC TV channel appointed
- 14.11.2017NTRC to hold competition for creation of new TV channel
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani Press Council chairman speaks out against glorification of criminals in media
- 02.11.2017OSCE welcomes dropping of criminal charges against Mehman Aliyev and Turan News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president visited IRNA News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president gives interview to Iran’s Sahar TV channel
- 31.10.2017APA Holding, ISNA Agency sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iranian Huneronline sign cooperation agreement
- 30.10.2017President of APA Holding addresses media conference in Tehran
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iran’s Nasle Farda sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi meets with heads of Iranian news agencies
- 28.10.2017APA Holding president meets with director general of Iranian Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry’s Foreign Media Department
- 28.10.201723rd Int’l Press Exhibition officially inaugurated in Tehran
- 20.10.2017NTRC grants satellite broadcast license to one TV channel, IP TV broadcast to 10 companies
- 07.10.2017Press Council holds monitoring at rally
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Turkish TV series were resulting in Turkish language outdoing Azerbaijani
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Thankfully, that TV channel no longer exists
- 30.09.2017No restrictions on activity of Turan news agency: prosecutor general
- 26.09.2017ATV channel president: Programmes are being reviewed
- 26.09.2017ATV channel president dismissed
- 21.09.2017Iranian ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 19.09.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: No restrictive measures against Turan Information Agency
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Taxes re-imposes tax sanction on Turan news agency
- 16.09.2017Ministry of Taxes lifts tax sanction against Turan agency
- 13.09.2017Eastern Partnership Media Conference kicks off in Kyiv
- 11.09.2017OSCE welcomes release of Mehman Aliyev
- 11.09.2017Press Council: Mehman Aliyev’s release another example of Azerbaijani president’s sensitive attitude towards media
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Press Council appeals to president regarding Mehman Aliyev
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan marks 142nd anniversary of national press
- 20.07.2017President: Number of false, unbiased pieces of information dramatically increased in Azerbaijani media
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives “Friend of Journalists” award
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Journalists are my assistants
- 05.04.2017New candidates nominated for ITV Broadcasting Council membership
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan creating conditions for people to file lawsuit for suspension of online information resources
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan adds new paragraph to Civil Procedure Code’s article on cases considered by courts in separate proceedings
- 10.03.2017MP: Internet space should be regulated to ensure Azerbaijan’s information security
- 05.03.2017APAsport Agency celebrates 10th anniversary
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani MP urges some local media outlets not to succumb to Armenian provocations