President of APA Holding addresses media conference in Tehran
President of APA Holding Vusala Mahirqizi addressed a media conference organized in Tehran by an institute operating under Iran’s state television.
Vusala Mahirqizi was invited to make a speech at the conference by Iran’s Culture and Islamic Guidance, an APA correspondent reported from Tehran.
The president of APA Holding spoke about internet and social media, new opportunities created by them, as well as about their possible danger.
According to her, internet media, in other words, new media is a very broad concept.
“Any information disseminated through interactive and digital method is referred to new media. This includes both news sites and social media created at subsequent stages,” she said.
Mahirqizi noted that at the moment there is ongoing rapid digitalization and informative-communicative globalization in the world.
She also added that the unlimited access to information, the possibility of free exchange of information and ideas played an important role in the recent cataclysms in the world.
“A clear example of this is the Arab Spring. The mobilizing role of social media is also among factors caused “Gezi Park” events in Turkey,” she said.
As for the most negative side of the new media and social networks Mahirqizi said: “It is worth mentioning that terrorist propaganda has been considerably simplified. Internet and social media have become an effective tool for terrorist organizations to spread their ideas throughout the world to gather support and to intimidate people. Social network managers begun to struggle to stop terrorist propaganda very late and it is questionable how effective this struggle is. We also see that these states are trying to react to such negative cases individually.”
According to her, some countries see the prevention of harmful propaganda in restricting social networks on their territories or in blocking them temporarily or permanently, while other countries create their own alternative social media and encourage their citizens to use it by partly or completely restricting transnational social media.
“However, any intervention in social media by states brings up claims of violation of freedoms of the Internet and expression. This has in recent years become one of the controversial themes worldwide as it is not easy to define what exactly freedom of expression means and draw boundaries of this freedom on the Internet,” she added.
As for the situation of social media in Azerbaijan, she noted that there is freedom in this area in the country.
- 02.07.2018APA Holding Board of Directors holds meeting
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan NTRC announces date for terrestrial broadcasting of new TV channel
- 27.06.201810th anniversary of "Lent.az" and presentation of book dedicated to 100th anniversary of ADR held in Baku
- 01.06.2018Personnel reforms expected in ITV
- 01.06.2018Balakishi Gasimov elected ITV director general
- 30.05.2018Seven candidates submit documents for post of ITV director general
- 29.05.2018APA TV marks 5th anniversary
- 24.05.2018Russia’s St. Petersburg hosts media summit
- 23.05.2018Georgian media representatives visit APA Holding
- 17.05.2018New appointment at Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 16.05.2018Swiss ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 14.05.2018NTRC: Balakishi Gasimov not elected ITV director general
- 10.05.2018Iranian journalists visit APA Holding
- 08.05.2018Editor-in-chief of Echo newspaper Rauf Talishinsky passes away
- 01.05.2018Presentation held for media project marking centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to rules on sponsorship advertising in media - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Press Council chairman criticizes ombudsperson’s activity
- 20.04.2018Bulgarian diplomats visit APA Holding
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani parliamentary committee discusses amendments to law on public broadcasting
- 16.04.2018APA TV’s YouTube channel hits 150,000 subscribers
- 30.03.2018Rahim Namazov shot in France is not a journalist: Azerbaijani Press Council
- 16.03.2018Vesti.az information agency celebrating 9th anniversary
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: People who fled Azerbaijan insults country’s symbols
- 10.03.2018Aflatun Amashov reelected chairman of Azerbaijani Press Council
- 10.03.2018Vusala Mahirgizi: Online media plays special role in ensuring Azerbaijan’s information and national security
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani journalists must fight those opposing state and its symbols: professor
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani Press Council’s chairman hails state support for media
- 10.03.2018Charter of Azerbaijani Press Council amended
- 10.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani media should keep national interests above all
- 10.03.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists kicks off
- 05.03.2018Real TV gets indefinite license for satellite broadcasting
- 05.03.2018APAsport Agency celebrates 11th anniversary
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iranian Huneronline sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iran’s Nasle Farda sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi meets with heads of Iranian news agencies
- 28.10.2017APA Holding president meets with director general of Iranian Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry’s Foreign Media Department