President of APA Holding addresses media conference in Tehran
President of APA Holding Vusala Mahirqizi addressed a media conference organized in Tehran by an institute operating under Iran’s state television.
Vusala Mahirqizi was invited to make a speech at the conference by Iran’s Culture and Islamic Guidance, an APA correspondent reported from Tehran.
The president of APA Holding spoke about internet and social media, new opportunities created by them, as well as about their possible danger.
According to her, internet media, in other words, new media is a very broad concept.
“Any information disseminated through interactive and digital method is referred to new media. This includes both news sites and social media created at subsequent stages,” she said.
Mahirqizi noted that at the moment there is ongoing rapid digitalization and informative-communicative globalization in the world.
She also added that the unlimited access to information, the possibility of free exchange of information and ideas played an important role in the recent cataclysms in the world.
“A clear example of this is the Arab Spring. The mobilizing role of social media is also among factors caused “Gezi Park” events in Turkey,” she said.
As for the most negative side of the new media and social networks Mahirqizi said: “It is worth mentioning that terrorist propaganda has been considerably simplified. Internet and social media have become an effective tool for terrorist organizations to spread their ideas throughout the world to gather support and to intimidate people. Social network managers begun to struggle to stop terrorist propaganda very late and it is questionable how effective this struggle is. We also see that these states are trying to react to such negative cases individually.”
According to her, some countries see the prevention of harmful propaganda in restricting social networks on their territories or in blocking them temporarily or permanently, while other countries create their own alternative social media and encourage their citizens to use it by partly or completely restricting transnational social media.
“However, any intervention in social media by states brings up claims of violation of freedoms of the Internet and expression. This has in recent years become one of the controversial themes worldwide as it is not easy to define what exactly freedom of expression means and draw boundaries of this freedom on the Internet,” she added.
As for the situation of social media in Azerbaijan, she noted that there is freedom in this area in the country.
- 16.11.2017APA now available on Facebook Messenger
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan to impose new fines for violation of rules for dissemination of info on Internet
- 16.11.2017APA Information Agency celebrates 13th anniversary
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company sends letter to EBU
- 14.11.2017New director general of CBC TV channel appointed
- 14.11.2017NTRC to hold competition for creation of new TV channel
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani Press Council chairman speaks out against glorification of criminals in media
- 02.11.2017OSCE welcomes dropping of criminal charges against Mehman Aliyev and Turan News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president visited IRNA News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president gives interview to Iran’s Sahar TV channel
- 31.10.2017APA Holding, ISNA Agency sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.201723rd Int’l Press Exhibition officially inaugurated in Tehran
- 20.10.2017NTRC grants satellite broadcast license to one TV channel, IP TV broadcast to 10 companies
- 07.10.2017Press Council holds monitoring at rally
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Turkish TV series were resulting in Turkish language outdoing Azerbaijani
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Thankfully, that TV channel no longer exists
- 30.09.2017No restrictions on activity of Turan news agency: prosecutor general
- 26.09.2017ATV channel president: Programmes are being reviewed
- 26.09.2017ATV channel president dismissed
- 21.09.2017Iranian ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 19.09.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: No restrictive measures against Turan Information Agency
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Taxes re-imposes tax sanction on Turan news agency
- 16.09.2017Ministry of Taxes lifts tax sanction against Turan agency
- 13.09.2017Eastern Partnership Media Conference kicks off in Kyiv
- 11.09.2017OSCE welcomes release of Mehman Aliyev
- 11.09.2017Press Council: Mehman Aliyev’s release another example of Azerbaijani president’s sensitive attitude towards media
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Press Council appeals to president regarding Mehman Aliyev
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan marks 142nd anniversary of national press
- 20.07.2017President: Number of false, unbiased pieces of information dramatically increased in Azerbaijani media
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives “Friend of Journalists” award
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Journalists are my assistants
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Int’l public opinion on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict changed
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends inauguration of second building for journalists
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president allocates lump sum financial assistance to local newspapers
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 5 million for construction of new building for journalists
- 19.07.2017APA Holding, Code Academy sign agreement on strategic cooperation
- 18.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Third building meant for journalists too will have 255 apartments
- 14.07.2017Groundbreaking ceremony of third building for journalists in Azerbaijan to take place on July 21
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iranian Huneronline sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iran’s Nasle Farda sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi meets with heads of Iranian news agencies
- 28.10.2017APA Holding president meets with director general of Iranian Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry’s Foreign Media Department