Press Council: Mehman Aliyev’s release another example of Azerbaijani president’s sensitive attitude towards media
The release of director of Turan News Agency Mehman Aliyev from prison is another vivid example of President Ilham Aliyev’s sensitive approach towards the media, Press Council chairman Aflatun Amashov told APA.
Today, the Baku City Yasamal district court changed the measure of restraint in respect of Director of Turan News Agency Mehman Aliyev, his lawyer Fuad Aghayev told APA.
Mehman Aliyev was released from custody and placed under house arrest upon his recognizance not to leave the country.
“We [Press Council] have always believed in this and were sure that the case would be investigated fairly under the president’s instructions, and a humane step would be taken in relation to Mehman Aliyev.
The fact that President Ilham Aliyev is the guarantor of freedom of speech and expression in Azerbaijan is an undeniable reality, stressed Amashov. “Of course, the issue concerning Mehman Aliyev will be investigated. However, we believe that his release is an important condition. This is the president’s attitude towards the media.
Therefore, we express our deepest gratitude to Ilham Aliyev for his sensitive approach to the appeal of the Press Council regarding Mehman Aliyev,” he said.
President Ilham Aliyev noted in his speech that some kind of moratorium was recorded in connection with the arrests of journalists in Azerbaijan, said Amashov.
According to him, in this case, representatives of the media should direct their activities to deepen freedom of speech and expressed in the society.
“Freedom of speech and information is the highest democratic values. Therefore, media workers are not held criminally responsible for their professional activities. This is the president’s will, and he expressed his opinion on this matter back in 2009,” said Amashov, recalling that the president showed his sensitive attitude to the media when the editor-in-chief of Tazadlar newspaper, Asif Marzili, was arrested several years ago.
Related news releases
- 02.07.2018APA Holding Board of Directors holds meeting
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan NTRC announces date for terrestrial broadcasting of new TV channel
- 27.06.201810th anniversary of "Lent.az" and presentation of book dedicated to 100th anniversary of ADR held in Baku
- 01.06.2018Personnel reforms expected in ITV
- 01.06.2018Balakishi Gasimov elected ITV director general
- 30.05.2018Seven candidates submit documents for post of ITV director general
- 29.05.2018APA TV marks 5th anniversary
- 24.05.2018Russia’s St. Petersburg hosts media summit
- 23.05.2018Georgian media representatives visit APA Holding
- 17.05.2018New appointment at Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 16.05.2018Swiss ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 14.05.2018NTRC: Balakishi Gasimov not elected ITV director general
- 10.05.2018Iranian journalists visit APA Holding
- 08.05.2018Editor-in-chief of Echo newspaper Rauf Talishinsky passes away
- 01.05.2018Presentation held for media project marking centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to rules on sponsorship advertising in media - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Press Council chairman criticizes ombudsperson’s activity
- 20.04.2018Bulgarian diplomats visit APA Holding
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani parliamentary committee discusses amendments to law on public broadcasting
- 16.04.2018APA TV’s YouTube channel hits 150,000 subscribers
- 30.03.2018Rahim Namazov shot in France is not a journalist: Azerbaijani Press Council
- 16.03.2018Vesti.az information agency celebrating 9th anniversary
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: People who fled Azerbaijan insults country’s symbols
- 10.03.2018Aflatun Amashov reelected chairman of Azerbaijani Press Council
- 10.03.2018Vusala Mahirgizi: Online media plays special role in ensuring Azerbaijan’s information and national security
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani journalists must fight those opposing state and its symbols: professor
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani Press Council’s chairman hails state support for media
- 10.03.2018Charter of Azerbaijani Press Council amended
- 10.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani media should keep national interests above all
- 10.03.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists kicks off
- 05.03.2018Real TV gets indefinite license for satellite broadcasting
- 05.03.2018APAsport Agency celebrates 11th anniversary
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 11.09.2017OSCE welcomes release of Mehman Aliyev
- 13.09.2017Eastern Partnership Media Conference kicks off in Kyiv
- 16.09.2017Ministry of Taxes lifts tax sanction against Turan agency
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Press Council appeals to president regarding Mehman Aliyev
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists