ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
The Scientific Council of the Institute of History of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) has issued a statement with regard to the publishing of a map of so-called “Greater Armenia” in the Russian version of the textbook “General History” for 10th grade.
The statement stresses that the map illustrating the territory of so-called “Greater Armenia” is based on a marble map posted on the wall on a street (Via dei Fori Imperiali) in downtown Rome in 1934 upon the order of Benito Mussolini, a fascist dictator who sought to revitalize the Roman Empire.
“At that time of military-political transition, it is no secret that that particular map was selected to be posted on the wall under the influence of the Armenian lobby, who were seeking to achieve its ugly ambitions. The dissemination of this made-up map of “Greater Armenia” in the world’s various media and information resources, including Wikipedia, is ensured by the US-based National Association for Armenian Studies and Research. A special grant has been allocated by this Armenian nationalist organization. All the analogous maps depict the northern borders of so-called “Greater Armenia” stretching south of the River Araxes towards the Caspian Sea. The biggest concern is that such a made-up map has been published in the Russian version of the textbook “General History”, reads the statement.
According to the statement, the studies (“Irevan Khanate: Russian occupation and relocation of Armenians to Northern Azerbaijan”, “Karabakh: Real history, facts and documents”, “Nakhchivan: Its history and monuments”, “Real history and fictional “Greater Armenia”” and numerous works dedicated to the acts of genocide committed by the Armenians against the Azerbaijani people), which were conducted by the Institute of History in recent years under the instruction of Azerbaijan’s president, revealed that no Armenian state existed in the South Caucasus till the Azerbaijani Democratic Republic handed over Irevan and the territories adjacent to it to Armenians on May 29. 1918.
“Mass relocation of Armenians to the South Caucasus was carried out under Turkmenchay (1828) and Edirne (Adrianople 1829) treaties,” says the statement.
The statement also notes that the Ministry of Education should fully take control of this sphere and determine the authors of textbooks.
“The Institute of History is confident that if all textbooks, including history textbooks are examined by ANAS scientific research institutes, in particular by the Institute of History, there will be no such mistakes. Inexperienced and incompetent experts should be removed from this work,” says the statement.
Related news releases
- 11.12.2017Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on Dec. 12
- 08.12.2017Tariff Council approves prices of more than 300 registered medicines
- 08.12.2017Book titled “Splendor and Misery of Leyla Yunus” presented
- 08.12.2017Anar Baghirov: Bar Association was partly responsible for delay in lawyer admissions
- 07.12.2017Criminal elements detected in activities of 23 municipalities
- 07.12.2017Several human rights defenders appeal to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another 10 carpet weaving factories to open in Azerbaijan next year
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies non-working days for next year's holidays
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: "ASAN Service" is most effective tool against corruption, bribery
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Guba
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates ‘ASAN heyat’ complex in Guba
- 07.12.2017New chairman of Azerbaijan’s Bar Association elected
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ground breaking ceremony of highway to be built on Azerbaijan-Russia state border
- 06.12.2017Citizens of OIC countries to get grants for education in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Javanshir Gurbanov awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 06.12.2017About 80 percent of Azerbaijani citizens optimistic about the country's future
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards workers of communication and high-tech sector
- 05.12.2017Number of Nakhchivan’s population publicized
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan postpones election of new ombudsperson
- 04.12.2017Baku’s population nears 2.6 million
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan Business Case Competition 2017 wraps up
- 02.12.2017Weather forecast for tomorrow
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases duties on reissue of lost and deteriorated international passports and ID cards
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan modifying conditions for selection of pretrial detention type
- 01.12.2017MP Hasanguliyev: English-language TV channel should be created in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2017Half of HIV-infected people in Europe is diagnosed late – WHO
- 01.12.2017Preliminary hearing held for APFP deputy chairperson accused of smuggling
- 01.12.2017MP: Half of men in Azerbaijan smoke
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Azerbaijan unlikely to adopt mandatory medical insurance in 1-2 years
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Unemployment rate high in trade and service areas
- 30.11.2017State Committee: Work underway to get Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 30.11.2017December weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2017AZN 3M allocated for renovation works and capital repair of multi-apartment building in Tartar
- 29.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for renovation works in Aghjabadi
- 29.11.2017Most appeals to State Committee have to do with non-payment of alimonies
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends inauguration of Sabirabad District Central Hospital
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Flag Museum in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017Ivanka Trump praises Azerbaijani girl entrepreneur for her invention
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Aghjabadi Olympic Sport Complex
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at military unit in Aghjabadi
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map