Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
The Institute of Physiology of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) has developed a life expectancy map of the country on the basis of statistical data, the Institute’s director, Ulduz Hashimova, told APA.
According to Hashimova, the new map will soon be available to the public.
She said that during the development of the map, interesting facts were revealed about the existence of the phenomenon of longevity in certain districts of Azerbaijan.
She noted that the studies on life expectancy in Azerbaijan were conducted in 1979 for the first time.
“The former Academy of Sciences of the USSR studied the regions where long-lived population existed. Our studies today confirm the gained results once more. In other words, the phenomenon of longevity is historically observed in certain districts,” Hashimova added.
Hashimova said that in some districts of Azerbaijan, the average life expectancy of the population is higher than that of the others. According to her, mountainous zones are especially outstanding in this respect.
"The highest longevity has been observed in the highest mountainous districts of Nagorno-Karabakh—Shusha, Khojavand, and Aghdam districts. Though people from those districts are experiencing the hardship of war, their natural potential allows them to live a long life where they are,” she said. “Relatively low incidences of longevity have been recorded in the country’s south, northwest, and Ismayilli district. In these areas, people reach the age of 90 or over thanks to active life, proper nutrition and genetic potential.”
The Institute's director added that the lowest indicators of longevity have been recorded in Absheron. According to her, the main factors contributing to this are environmental pollution, malnutrition, high stress levels, etc.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing social allowances
- 23.02.2018Allowance for women with more than 5 children increased in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Committee chairman: Nationalization of surnames hotly debated issue in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Deputy PM: 97 families evacuated from landslide zone on Bayil slope
- 23.02.2018U.S. helps people with disabilities receive free legal aid
- 23.02.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Lankaran
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president's personal pension increased by AZN150
- 22.02.2018Monthly stipend for young talents increased by 100 manats
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly scholarship for honorary titles
- 22.02.2018Collegium of Advocates to be provided with new building
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor asks court to strip MNS generals of their ranks
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor seeks 16 years for Subahir Gurbanov and Teymur Guliyev - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018International organizations praise anti-corruption measures in Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2018Ministry of Education announces results of student transfer
- 22.02.2018First-grade admission gets started in Baku
- 22.02.2018Requirements for construction of buildings erected in place of emergency structures in nine districts of Baku changed
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th anniversary of academician Musa Aliyev
- 21.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing unified monthly allowance for IDPs
- 21.02.2018U.S. ambassador visits school built for IDPs in Baku
- 21.02.2018New specialties created in the master's degree in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Presidential pension for Azerbaijan’s national heroes increases
- 20.02.2018Ilham Aliyev orders increasing presidential pension for Great Patriotic War veterans
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani president appoints members of Civil Service Management Board
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani court commences hearing on Afgan Mukhtarli’s appeal
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan starts relocating IDP families to new settlement in Tartar
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies what medications caused severe poisoning
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan imports most medicines from Europe – Health Ministry
- 20.02.2018Guba-Khinalig road reopened after avalanche
- 19.02.2018Pension for 20 January disabled increased by 10%
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly pension for citizens disabled in war
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on state fingerprinting and genome registration
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 16.02.2018Georgian education minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018ASAN and ABAD very good Azerbaijani brands: EU envoy
- 16.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers: Families relocated from Bayil landslide area to be given rental money
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan discloses non-working days in March 2018
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps