Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
The Institute of Physiology of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) has developed a life expectancy map of the country on the basis of statistical data, the Institute’s director, Ulduz Hashimova, told APA.
According to Hashimova, the new map will soon be available to the public.
She said that during the development of the map, interesting facts were revealed about the existence of the phenomenon of longevity in certain districts of Azerbaijan.
She noted that the studies on life expectancy in Azerbaijan were conducted in 1979 for the first time.
“The former Academy of Sciences of the USSR studied the regions where long-lived population existed. Our studies today confirm the gained results once more. In other words, the phenomenon of longevity is historically observed in certain districts,” Hashimova added.
Hashimova said that in some districts of Azerbaijan, the average life expectancy of the population is higher than that of the others. According to her, mountainous zones are especially outstanding in this respect.
"The highest longevity has been observed in the highest mountainous districts of Nagorno-Karabakh—Shusha, Khojavand, and Aghdam districts. Though people from those districts are experiencing the hardship of war, their natural potential allows them to live a long life where they are,” she said. “Relatively low incidences of longevity have been recorded in the country’s south, northwest, and Ismayilli district. In these areas, people reach the age of 90 or over thanks to active life, proper nutrition and genetic potential.”
The Institute's director added that the lowest indicators of longevity have been recorded in Absheron. According to her, the main factors contributing to this are environmental pollution, malnutrition, high stress levels, etc.
Related news releases
- 11.12.2017Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on Dec. 12
- 08.12.2017Tariff Council approves prices of more than 300 registered medicines
- 08.12.2017Book titled “Splendor and Misery of Leyla Yunus” presented
- 08.12.2017Anar Baghirov: Bar Association was partly responsible for delay in lawyer admissions
- 07.12.2017Criminal elements detected in activities of 23 municipalities
- 07.12.2017Several human rights defenders appeal to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another 10 carpet weaving factories to open in Azerbaijan next year
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies non-working days for next year's holidays
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: "ASAN Service" is most effective tool against corruption, bribery
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Guba
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates ‘ASAN heyat’ complex in Guba
- 07.12.2017New chairman of Azerbaijan’s Bar Association elected
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ground breaking ceremony of highway to be built on Azerbaijan-Russia state border
- 06.12.2017Citizens of OIC countries to get grants for education in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Javanshir Gurbanov awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 06.12.2017About 80 percent of Azerbaijani citizens optimistic about the country's future
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards workers of communication and high-tech sector
- 05.12.2017Number of Nakhchivan’s population publicized
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan postpones election of new ombudsperson
- 04.12.2017Baku’s population nears 2.6 million
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan Business Case Competition 2017 wraps up
- 02.12.2017Weather forecast for tomorrow
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases duties on reissue of lost and deteriorated international passports and ID cards
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan modifying conditions for selection of pretrial detention type
- 01.12.2017MP Hasanguliyev: English-language TV channel should be created in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2017Half of HIV-infected people in Europe is diagnosed late – WHO
- 01.12.2017Preliminary hearing held for APFP deputy chairperson accused of smuggling
- 01.12.2017MP: Half of men in Azerbaijan smoke
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Azerbaijan unlikely to adopt mandatory medical insurance in 1-2 years
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Unemployment rate high in trade and service areas
- 30.11.2017State Committee: Work underway to get Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 30.11.2017December weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2017AZN 3M allocated for renovation works and capital repair of multi-apartment building in Tartar
- 29.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for renovation works in Aghjabadi
- 29.11.2017Most appeals to State Committee have to do with non-payment of alimonies
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends inauguration of Sabirabad District Central Hospital
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Flag Museum in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017Ivanka Trump praises Azerbaijani girl entrepreneur for her invention
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Aghjabadi Olympic Sport Complex
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at military unit in Aghjabadi
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps