Azerbaijan’s Consulate General commemorates Holocaust in Los Angeles
The Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles hosted on Nov. 9, 2017 a commemoration dedicated to the 79th anniversary of the Kristallnacht (Night of Broken Glass) in Nazi Germany, which ushered in the Holocaust against the Jewish people, the Consulate General told APA.
Held with the “Save a Heart Foundation,” which was established by the Jewish doctors of the world-famous Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, the event was attended by members of the Foundation.
Speaking at the event, the Chairman of the Foundation Dr. Yzhar Charuzi and the Foundation member Esther Blaugrund expressed their gratitude to the Consulate General for hosting this important commemoration. Talking about the Kristallnacht of Nov. 9/10, 1938, when Jews were subjected to brutal pogroms throught the Nazi Germany, the speakers mentioned that namely this tragic night became the beginning of the eventual ‘Final Solution’ and the Holocaust that would kill over 6 million Jews by the end of the World War II in 1945.
Azerbaijan’s Consul General Nasimi Aghayev noted in his remarks that the Azerbaijani people could feel the pain and suffering of the Jewish people. Speaking of the genocides suffered by the Azerbaijani people in the 20th century, Aghayev mentioned the infamous March Genocide of 1918, which was committed by Armenian Dashnaks and Bolsheviks against tens of thousands of Azerbaijani civilians – a fact corroborated by a New York Times report of 1919 and other independent sources. The Consul General noted that alongside Azerbaijanis, the Jewish citizens of Azerbaijan were also among the victims of this horrific genocide in 1918. Aghayev said that the injustices and cruelties against Azerbaijanis continued in the early 1992, when the town of Khojaly in Azerbaijan’s Karabakh region was invaded by Armenian troops, who carried out a brutal mass murder of the fleeing civilian population. “The Khojaly Genocide was part of a larger campaign by Armenia to invade and ethnically cleanse around 20% of Azerbaijan’s sovereign territory,” so Aghayev. The Consul General noted that given this tragic history and centuries-old brotherhood between the Azerbaijani and Jewish people, “it is a moral obligation for both nations to stand and work together in order to make sure that such tragedies are not repeated again”.
Aghayev also mentioned that during the Holocaust Azerbaijan embraced and sheltered tens of thousands of Jews fleeing the Nazi persecutions in Eastern Europe.
The event concluded with the screening of a documentary film “Shores of Light” by Israeli film-makers about the Holocaust survivors and the poignant story of warmth and compassion after a terrible war.
- 19.03.2018Schools to be on Novruz Holiday starting tomorrow
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Ali bey Huseynzade’s daughter “Dostlug” Order
- 17.03.2018Monument to victims of genocide committed by Armenia erected in Guba
- 16.03.2018AZN 4mln allocated for construction of modular schools in four districts
- 16.03.2018South Caucasus’s most ancient jewelry item exhibited at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 16.03.2018State Migration Service employees granted high special ranks
- 16.03.2018State Committee: Turkish MP whose health suddenly deteriorated during Baku forum is in stable condition
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP suffers heart attack while speaking at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.03.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Salyan
- 15.03.2018Real TV starts satellite broadcasting
- 15.03.2018Nizami Ganjavi International Award presented to First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan fines Qatari national for illegal hunting
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces competition for 24 vacancies in 7 state bodies
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves composition of Youth Foundation’s Supervisory Board
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for purchase of apartments for Karabakh war disabled, families of martyrs
- 13.03.2018New executive director of Azerbaijan Youth Foundation appointed
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate Wind Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 12.03.2018Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Salyan
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for construction of carpet factory in Sabunchu
- 09.03.2018Real TV will start satellite broadcasting on March 12
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of State Security Service employees
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan defines new procedure for financing education abroad
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing salaries of employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijan to hold first stage of final exam for 9th graders on March 11
- 07.03.2018About 2,700 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgian universities
- 07.03.2018UNICEF: 12 million girls a year become child brides
- 06.03.2018Mexican ambassador visits Goychay
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on group of women
- 06.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of new building of sanatorium-type orphanage-kindergarten in Mashtagha settlement
- 06.03.2018UNICEF: Incidence of early marriages reduced to almost zero in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018UNICEF may assist in rehabilitation of Azerbaijani children in Iraq and Syria
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate second Tuesday of Novruz holiday
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of employees of a number of state-funded organizations
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on additional measures to improve water supply for several villages in Sabirabad district
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in melioration, water economy, fishery fields
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in areas of housing and communal services, transport, communications.
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in agriculture, ecology, environment protection areas
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan International Environmental Exhibition kicks off
- 13.11.2017New staff of State Language Commission approved
- 13.11.2017Javid Gurbanov awarded title of “Honored Engineer”