Baku city prosecutor: Crime rates have increased in capital
In 2012, 68 robberies took place in Baku. 8 of them remain closed, Baku city prosecutor Ilgar Abbasov announced at the board meeting on the annual results at the Prosecutor's Office.
According to Abbasov, the number of crimes increased by 182 facts to become 12,122 in the reporting period, compared to 11,940 in 2016. The percentage of their opening increased by 4.1% to 80%, the number of grave or particularly grave crimes decreased by 120 facts or by 3.4% to reach 1890.
Compared to 2016, the number of murders reduced by 3 facts to become 59. All of the murders—except for one—as well as murders committed under unknown circumstances and 38 murder attempts were disclosed.
203 traffic accidents were recorded and 1 of them remained closed.
It was noted that 563 out of 1,047 cases investigated by city prosecuting bodies and 5,003 of 14,432 criminal cases investigated by internal affairs bodies' investigative departments were completed.
During the reporting period, as a result of crimes committed, at the Prosecutor's Office, including on cases carried out by the City Prosecutor's Office Investigation Department, 18.1% (i.e. 443,000 manat) of 2,437,000 manats material damage made to individuals and legal entities and 85.7% (i.e. 25 million 880,000 manat) of the 30,194,000 manats material damage on cases carried out by police were paid off.
During the meeting, alongside positive results achieved during the reporting period, shortcomings were also noted.
Carrying out intensive investigative and operational-search measures to bring guilty people to justice, the importance of the compensation of damage made, as a result of crime, was emphasized. Detected shortcomings, law violations and procrastination facts were investigated with specific examples and were required to be eliminated.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Weather forecast for May 20
- 18.05.2018Newspaper Echo closing down
- 18.05.2018More than 900 people die of HIV in Azerbaijan over past 31 years
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s SEC to hold TOEFL IBT and SAT exams
- 18.05.2018193 diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 2018, 16 mortalities reported
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources has received a BP delegation.
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade
- 16.05.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Nakhchivan Teachers Institute
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates secondary school in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev launches start of reconstruction of water supply system in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces results of entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani president inaugurates new building of Heydar Aliyev Modern Educational Complex - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan creates organizing committee to hold European Youth Olympic Festival
- 15.05.2018Amount of fee for ASAN visas offered at Azerbaijani airports determined
- 15.05.2018Over 430,000 foreigners granted Azerbaijani visas via ASAN Visa since January 2017
- 15.05.2018ASAN Visa system launched at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- 14.05.2018Evasion from paying unemployment insurance and mandatory state social insurance to entail criminal liability
- 12.05.2018Traffic movement to be restricted in center of Baku tomorrow
- 12.05.2018Lightning, heavy rain expected in some places tomorrow
- 11.05.2018ITV Director General Jamil Guliyev removed from duty
- 11.05.2018"Sevdiyim" project presented in Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups on May 13
- 10.05.2018Unknown predators found in Azerbaijan’s Ismayilli
- 09.05.2018MENR reveals causes of strong odor in Baku’s atmosphere
- 09.05.2018Weather forecast for May 10
- 09.05.2018Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on May 10
- 08.05.2018Police salaries increased 16-fold in last 15 years – interior minister
- 07.05.2018Kamran Imanov appointed chairman of Board of Intellectual Property Agency
- 07.05.2018Torture in prisons discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting in Baku
- 07.05.2018Top official: Freedom of speech and press ensured in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijani official: Counterfeit drugs trade – one of most serious crimes
- 04.05.2018Results of final exams held for 9th form pupils on March 18 publicized
- 04.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Azerbaijani carpet weavers
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijan to prepare individual rehabilitation program for the disabled
- 25.01.2018Citizens living near landslide area housed in temporary shelters - UPDATED
- 25.01.2018Latvia announces new scholarship program for Azerbaijani citizens
- 24.01.2018Cabinet of Ministers control landslide area around Baku TV Tower
- 24.01.2018Lunar eclipse expected on January 31
- 23.01.2018Prosecutor seeks 4-year prison sentence for Gozal Bayramli - UPDATED