Baku hosts 3rd meeting of heads of anti-corruption organizations and ombudsmen of ECO member states
The 3rd Meeting of Heads of Anti-Corruption Organizations and Ombudsmen of Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) Member States kicked off in Baku on Tuesday.
Heads of prosecuting authorities, specialized anti-corruption bodies and ombudspersons of Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iran, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan, the delegation led by the OIC Secretary General, the Executive Secretary of the International Anti-Corruption Academy and representatives of other international organizations are taking part in the meeting, APA reported .
Addressing the official opening ceremony of the meeting, Azerbaijan’s Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov expressed his gratitude to the participants of the event.
He noted that Azerbaijan enjoys friendly and warm relations with Muslim countries.
“In the modern period, Muslim states need political, cultural unity and partnership. The ECO is an important regional organization. I believe that we will achieve our goals for strengthening political relations between the member countries,” the prosecutor general said.
The deputy secretary general of the ECO, Alavi Sabzevari, noted that anti-corruption efforts take a special place in the organization’s agenda.
He recalled that the importance of creating an anti-corruption center was stressed at the last meeting in Tajikistan.
“The two-day event organized in Azerbaijan is a sign of close cooperation among the member states. I expressed my gratitude to Azerbaijan for holding the event at a high level,” said Sabzevari.
Azerbaijan’s Human Rights Commissioner (Ombudsperson) Elmira Suleymanova noted that a number of anti-corruption programs and three documents of strategic importance were adopted in Azerbaijan.
“In accordance with the law on combating corruption, an Anti-Corruption Commission and relevant agency of the General Prosecutor’s Office were created. The Ombudsman institute also plays an important role in the fight against corruption. The Ombudsman institute’s cooperation with competent state authorities guarantees for successes,” she added.
Martin Kreutner, Dean and Executive Secretary of the International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA), said it was his fifth visit to Azerbaijan.
"Our Academy pays special attention to international cooperation. We’ve brought together 71 countries. I am very glad that Azerbaijan is taking part in this initiative. Six of the 10 ECO members are members of the Academy. I invite the remaining 4 to join the organization,” he said.
Kreutner noted that corruption can bring on violence and instability.
“Therefore, anti-corruption measures are important for economic development. Let's work together to overcome global challenges. We are ready to cooperate with not only Azerbaijan, but the other ECO members as well,” he added.
Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov assured that Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate with IACA. “I believe ECO member countries will actively cooperate with IACA.”
Participants concluded that the meeting be chaired by Zakir Garalov and the agenda for the meeting was approved.
- 18.11.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 1 police, injures another in Azerbaijan
- 18.11.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 18.11.2017Landslide activity observed in Baku’s Zigh settlement
- 17.11.2017Another quake hits Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017Private and municipal vocational education institutions to be established in Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017ANAS: Land plots, scientific facilities seized over last 5 years returned
- 16.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov meets Moldovan interior minister
- 16.11.2017U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan visits ABAD trade & exhibition center
- 16.11.2017APA celebrates 13th anniversary - PHOTOSESSION
- 16.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known in world as sporting nation
- 16.11.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly-built school in Masazir
- 16.11.2017ANAS: Yesterday’s quake in Azerbaijan had nothing to do with recent quake in Iran
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan establishes organizing committee for Baku BMX World Championships 2018
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 110th jubilee of academician Ashraf Huseynov
- 15.11.2017U.S. ambassador visits Salyan American Corner
- 15.11.2017Deloitte Azerbaijan introduces new publication - ®
- 15.11.2017Compulsory health insurance can be applied throughout Azerbaijan in 2018 – deputy minister
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 15.11.2017Deputy Minister reacts to US State Department advising its citizens not to undergo surgery in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Baku State University’s 100th anniversary to be marked at state level
- 14.11.2017London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Consulate General commemorates Holocaust in Los Angeles
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan International Environmental Exhibition kicks off
- 13.11.2017New staff of State Language Commission approved
- 13.11.2017Javid Gurbanov awarded title of “Honored Engineer”
- 13.11.2017Sports Palace to be built in Ganja city
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani delegation led by Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov attends Dubai Airshow 2017
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Talks on creation of production units in prisons bring no results
- 13.11.2017ANAS: Strong earthquake on Iran-Iraq border unlikely to affect Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Unsettled issues will be resolved in coming years
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of culture and recreation park named after Aziz Aliyev in Ganja
- 10.11.2017Newly-built dormitory of Azerbaijan State Agrarian University inaugurated
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views secondary school in Ganja after major overhaul
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Ganja Mall
- 10.11.2017ICRC visits about 1,300 women and children of 20 nationalities in Iraq
- 08.11.2017Manufacture of 6 new UAVs launched in ANAS High Tech Park
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan to use new mechanism for increase of pensions
- 06.06.2017Zakir Garalov: Some political parties, NGOs violated Azerbaijan’s legislation
- 06.06.2017“Fight against corruption among priorities of Azerbaijan’s state policy”
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijani PA head signs order on Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy justice minister
- 05.06.2017Parents to be fined AZN 250 for their children smoking
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan sets fines for violation of tobacco use restriction