Baku hosts 3rd meeting of heads of anti-corruption organizations and ombudsmen of ECO member states
The 3rd Meeting of Heads of Anti-Corruption Organizations and Ombudsmen of Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) Member States kicked off in Baku on Tuesday.
Heads of prosecuting authorities, specialized anti-corruption bodies and ombudspersons of Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iran, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan, the delegation led by the OIC Secretary General, the Executive Secretary of the International Anti-Corruption Academy and representatives of other international organizations are taking part in the meeting, APA reported .
Addressing the official opening ceremony of the meeting, Azerbaijan’s Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov expressed his gratitude to the participants of the event.
He noted that Azerbaijan enjoys friendly and warm relations with Muslim countries.
“In the modern period, Muslim states need political, cultural unity and partnership. The ECO is an important regional organization. I believe that we will achieve our goals for strengthening political relations between the member countries,” the prosecutor general said.
The deputy secretary general of the ECO, Alavi Sabzevari, noted that anti-corruption efforts take a special place in the organization’s agenda.
He recalled that the importance of creating an anti-corruption center was stressed at the last meeting in Tajikistan.
“The two-day event organized in Azerbaijan is a sign of close cooperation among the member states. I expressed my gratitude to Azerbaijan for holding the event at a high level,” said Sabzevari.
Azerbaijan’s Human Rights Commissioner (Ombudsperson) Elmira Suleymanova noted that a number of anti-corruption programs and three documents of strategic importance were adopted in Azerbaijan.
“In accordance with the law on combating corruption, an Anti-Corruption Commission and relevant agency of the General Prosecutor’s Office were created. The Ombudsman institute also plays an important role in the fight against corruption. The Ombudsman institute’s cooperation with competent state authorities guarantees for successes,” she added.
Martin Kreutner, Dean and Executive Secretary of the International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA), said it was his fifth visit to Azerbaijan.
"Our Academy pays special attention to international cooperation. We’ve brought together 71 countries. I am very glad that Azerbaijan is taking part in this initiative. Six of the 10 ECO members are members of the Academy. I invite the remaining 4 to join the organization,” he said.
Kreutner noted that corruption can bring on violence and instability.
“Therefore, anti-corruption measures are important for economic development. Let's work together to overcome global challenges. We are ready to cooperate with not only Azerbaijan, but the other ECO members as well,” he added.
Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov assured that Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate with IACA. “I believe ECO member countries will actively cooperate with IACA.”
Participants concluded that the meeting be chaired by Zakir Garalov and the agenda for the meeting was approved.
- 22.06.2017Former Azerbaijani health minister gets his appeal denied by court
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on telecommunications
- 22.06.2017Preliminary hearing held for Alexander Lapshin - UPDATED
- 21.06.2017Two Universities in Azerbaijan to get public legal entity status
- 21.06.2017Sayyaf Ismayilov awarded “Honored Civil Servant” title
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on granting young talents a special stipend
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry comments on lawyers’ statement about Akif Chovdarov’s health
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry: Doctors are closely following Lapshin’s health condition
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of Narimanov District Court
- 20.06.2017US Embassy celebrates opening of Ganja American Corner
- 20.06.2017Court rejects Afgan Mukhtarli’s petition
- 20.06.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Jalilabad
- 20.06.2017ADA University hosts event to mark World Refugee Day
- 19.06.2017Ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov again partially reimburses damage caused to state
- 19.06.2017Entrance to part of Baku Seaside National Park to be closed from June 20 to 26
- 19.06.2017Traffic restricted in Baku’s central streets due to F1 Grand Prix
- 19.06.2017War, violence, persecution push displacement to new unprecedented high: UNHCR report
- 19.06.2017US ambassador visits Ganja
- 17.06.2017Traffic police address drivers in connection with Formula 1
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan University of Languages to get public legal entity status
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on healthcare workers
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan allocates two hospitals for F1 Grand Prix
- 16.06.2017Number of official unemployed population announced
- 16.06.20174-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Number of Azerbaijan population increases 0.3%
- 16.06.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Jalilabad
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan restricts entry of 264 foreigners in May
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan: Military service problems of male students with 1-2 unpaid academic debts to be solved
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 14.06.2017European Union celebrates the launch of its media projects and congratulates winners of its competitions
- 14.06.2017Jojug Marjanli resident awarded “Labor” Order
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s deputy PM: Mandatory medical insurance fees should be acceptable to citizens
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2017Lapshin to stand trial on June 22 - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan: Deaths among children aged under 1 mainly observed in Baku
- 13.06.2017Ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov pays for part of damage caused to state
- 13.06.2017ANAS president: Farmlands make up 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s territory
- 12.06.2017UNEC hosts conference dedicated to Nobel Prize winner Aziz Sancar
- 12.06.2017Aziz Sancar: When I was awarded Nobel Prize, entire Turkic world was pleased
- 12.06.2017Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2017Zakir Garalov: Some political parties, NGOs violated Azerbaijan’s legislation
- 06.06.2017“Fight against corruption among priorities of Azerbaijan’s state policy”
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijani PA head signs order on Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy justice minister
- 05.06.2017Parents to be fined AZN 250 for their children smoking
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan sets fines for violation of tobacco use restriction