Baku hosts 3rd meeting of heads of anti-corruption organizations and ombudsmen of ECO member states
The 3rd Meeting of Heads of Anti-Corruption Organizations and Ombudsmen of Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) Member States kicked off in Baku on Tuesday.
Heads of prosecuting authorities, specialized anti-corruption bodies and ombudspersons of Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iran, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan, the delegation led by the OIC Secretary General, the Executive Secretary of the International Anti-Corruption Academy and representatives of other international organizations are taking part in the meeting, APA reported .
Addressing the official opening ceremony of the meeting, Azerbaijan’s Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov expressed his gratitude to the participants of the event.
He noted that Azerbaijan enjoys friendly and warm relations with Muslim countries.
“In the modern period, Muslim states need political, cultural unity and partnership. The ECO is an important regional organization. I believe that we will achieve our goals for strengthening political relations between the member countries,” the prosecutor general said.
The deputy secretary general of the ECO, Alavi Sabzevari, noted that anti-corruption efforts take a special place in the organization’s agenda.
He recalled that the importance of creating an anti-corruption center was stressed at the last meeting in Tajikistan.
“The two-day event organized in Azerbaijan is a sign of close cooperation among the member states. I expressed my gratitude to Azerbaijan for holding the event at a high level,” said Sabzevari.
Azerbaijan’s Human Rights Commissioner (Ombudsperson) Elmira Suleymanova noted that a number of anti-corruption programs and three documents of strategic importance were adopted in Azerbaijan.
“In accordance with the law on combating corruption, an Anti-Corruption Commission and relevant agency of the General Prosecutor’s Office were created. The Ombudsman institute also plays an important role in the fight against corruption. The Ombudsman institute’s cooperation with competent state authorities guarantees for successes,” she added.
Martin Kreutner, Dean and Executive Secretary of the International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA), said it was his fifth visit to Azerbaijan.
"Our Academy pays special attention to international cooperation. We’ve brought together 71 countries. I am very glad that Azerbaijan is taking part in this initiative. Six of the 10 ECO members are members of the Academy. I invite the remaining 4 to join the organization,” he said.
Kreutner noted that corruption can bring on violence and instability.
“Therefore, anti-corruption measures are important for economic development. Let's work together to overcome global challenges. We are ready to cooperate with not only Azerbaijan, but the other ECO members as well,” he added.
Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov assured that Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate with IACA. “I believe ECO member countries will actively cooperate with IACA.”
Participants concluded that the meeting be chaired by Zakir Garalov and the agenda for the meeting was approved.
- 18.01.2018Teymur Bunyadov awarded Shohrat Order
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold first stage of paid mock exam for master admission
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan increases salaries of teachers working in state vocational education institutions
- 17.01.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final, entrance exams in 2018
- 16.01.2018Keshikchi Dag monastery needs to be repaired – Azerbaijani State Service
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance becomes public legal entity
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court denies former health minister’s appeal
- 16.01.2018Isa Gambar in stable condition, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Siyavush Novruzov: If necessary, state will support Isa Gambar’s treatment
- 15.01.2018Isa Gambar’s health condition improving, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Health Ministry: Infant and child mortality rates in Azerbaijan drop three times
- 14.01.2018Recent discovery in Meteorites may prove there is life outside Earth - Study
- 13.01.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 10.01.2018Citizens of Non-Aligned movement states to get education grants in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM in Russia for talks on nuclear deal, Syria
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: 2,300 IDP families provided with new apartments in 2017
- 08.01.2018Masalli resident captures injured eagle
- 06.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on highway construction in Khachmaz
- 06.01.2018Turkish citizen standing trial in Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018ANAMA issues 2017 annual report
- 05.01.2018FEP rates photo of Heydar Aliyev Center as ‘Cover Picture of 2017’
- 05.01.2018Man detained attempting to smuggle drugs from Iran to Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018MES holds operational meeting on search of missing climbers
- 03.01.2018Nearly 386,000 children born worldwide on New Year’s Day, says UNICEF
- 31.12.2017Baku welcomes New Year - PHOTOSESSION
- 31.12.2017World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves “Law on Restriction of Use of Tobacco Products”
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan abolishes penalty for conversation that can district driver’s attention
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan establishes professional holiday of ASAN Service employees
- 29.12.2017Diabetics increase, specialists decrease in numbers in Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Yanardag Reserve
- 29.12.2017Israeli ambassador visits Pirallahi district
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast for holidays
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MP suggests exempting disabled from education fee
- 29.12.2017January weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan makes structural changes to Economy Ministry
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles upon several people on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 28.12.2017Relocation from Sovetsky to continue in January 2018
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijan detains Indian citizens accused of aiding illegal migration
- 06.06.2017Zakir Garalov: Some political parties, NGOs violated Azerbaijan’s legislation
- 06.06.2017“Fight against corruption among priorities of Azerbaijan’s state policy”
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijani PA head signs order on Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy justice minister
- 05.06.2017Parents to be fined AZN 250 for their children smoking
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan sets fines for violation of tobacco use restriction