Baku hosts 3rd meeting of heads of anti-corruption organizations and ombudsmen of ECO member states
The 3rd Meeting of Heads of Anti-Corruption Organizations and Ombudsmen of Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) Member States kicked off in Baku on Tuesday.
Heads of prosecuting authorities, specialized anti-corruption bodies and ombudspersons of Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iran, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan, the delegation led by the OIC Secretary General, the Executive Secretary of the International Anti-Corruption Academy and representatives of other international organizations are taking part in the meeting, APA reported .
Addressing the official opening ceremony of the meeting, Azerbaijan’s Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov expressed his gratitude to the participants of the event.
He noted that Azerbaijan enjoys friendly and warm relations with Muslim countries.
“In the modern period, Muslim states need political, cultural unity and partnership. The ECO is an important regional organization. I believe that we will achieve our goals for strengthening political relations between the member countries,” the prosecutor general said.
The deputy secretary general of the ECO, Alavi Sabzevari, noted that anti-corruption efforts take a special place in the organization’s agenda.
He recalled that the importance of creating an anti-corruption center was stressed at the last meeting in Tajikistan.
“The two-day event organized in Azerbaijan is a sign of close cooperation among the member states. I expressed my gratitude to Azerbaijan for holding the event at a high level,” said Sabzevari.
Azerbaijan’s Human Rights Commissioner (Ombudsperson) Elmira Suleymanova noted that a number of anti-corruption programs and three documents of strategic importance were adopted in Azerbaijan.
“In accordance with the law on combating corruption, an Anti-Corruption Commission and relevant agency of the General Prosecutor’s Office were created. The Ombudsman institute also plays an important role in the fight against corruption. The Ombudsman institute’s cooperation with competent state authorities guarantees for successes,” she added.
Martin Kreutner, Dean and Executive Secretary of the International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA), said it was his fifth visit to Azerbaijan.
"Our Academy pays special attention to international cooperation. We’ve brought together 71 countries. I am very glad that Azerbaijan is taking part in this initiative. Six of the 10 ECO members are members of the Academy. I invite the remaining 4 to join the organization,” he said.
Kreutner noted that corruption can bring on violence and instability.
“Therefore, anti-corruption measures are important for economic development. Let's work together to overcome global challenges. We are ready to cooperate with not only Azerbaijan, but the other ECO members as well,” he added.
Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov assured that Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate with IACA. “I believe ECO member countries will actively cooperate with IACA.”
Participants concluded that the meeting be chaired by Zakir Garalov and the agenda for the meeting was approved.
- 22.07.2017Those who were taking exam at university at the time of fire will retake exam
- 21.07.2017President: Investments to be made in pharmaceutical factories amount to $100 million
- 21.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Drinking water supply projects successfully implemented in Azerbaijan
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views plans of work to be done in center of Pirallahi
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards Avaz Alakbarov
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nearly 80 percent of Azerbaijani population is internet users
- 20.07.2017Alexander Lapshin sentenced to 3 years in prison
- 19.07.2017Article by TEAS director published on website of “Peace and Sport” organization
- 19.07.2017Delegation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority arrives in Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 4.5 years behind bars for APFP chairman’s assistant
- 19.07.2017UN report: 443,000 teens give birth in Eastern Europe and Central Asia every year
- 19.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 18.07.2017Opening of new TV channel proposed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017ANAMA: 300ha area cleared of mine, UXOs in Jojug Marjanli
- 17.07.2017Kamran Aliyev: In Azerbaijan more bribes offered than taken
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 19 criminal cases on banking sector
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation into criminal cases of 133 officials charged with corruption
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created in new park in Yasamal
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani President warns officials, businessmen against cutting down trees
- 15.07.2017Int’l dolma festival held in Azerbaijan’s Khachmaz
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly built park in Yasamal district
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry: 12,036 people wishing to marry diagnosed with thalassemia
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: Application for transfer of students to begin on July 17
- 14.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Names of journalists to be given apartments will be announced on July 21
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold entrance exams on II and III specialty groups
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on education
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan bans advertising of abortion and artificial fermentation
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani President: Some public servants misbehave and make blatant mistakes
- 12.07.2017Judicial investigation into Alexander Lapshin’s case concludes
- 12.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appoints new chairpersons to several courts of appeal
- 11.07.2017New chairpersons appointed to civil, military collegiums of Azerbaijani Supreme Court
- 11.07.2017APA photographers among best of Baku 2017
- 11.07.2017Lapshin’s trial postponed
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor’s Office receives submission on initiation of criminal case against former national security minister
- 10.07.2017Former MNS official stripped of his rank of colonel, jailed for 12 years
- 10.07.2017SEC announces date of new test exams for civil service recruitment
- 10.07.2017SEC: 11-grade final exam results roughly same as last year’s
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Cases of abuse reported in fixed-term employment
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC makes changes in test exams for civil service recruitment
- 06.06.2017Zakir Garalov: Some political parties, NGOs violated Azerbaijan’s legislation
- 06.06.2017“Fight against corruption among priorities of Azerbaijan’s state policy”
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijani PA head signs order on Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy justice minister
- 05.06.2017Parents to be fined AZN 250 for their children smoking
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan sets fines for violation of tobacco use restriction