Baku hosts 3rd meeting of heads of anti-corruption organizations and ombudsmen of ECO member states
The 3rd Meeting of Heads of Anti-Corruption Organizations and Ombudsmen of Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) Member States kicked off in Baku on Tuesday.
Heads of prosecuting authorities, specialized anti-corruption bodies and ombudspersons of Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iran, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan, the delegation led by the OIC Secretary General, the Executive Secretary of the International Anti-Corruption Academy and representatives of other international organizations are taking part in the meeting, APA reported .
Addressing the official opening ceremony of the meeting, Azerbaijan’s Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov expressed his gratitude to the participants of the event.
He noted that Azerbaijan enjoys friendly and warm relations with Muslim countries.
“In the modern period, Muslim states need political, cultural unity and partnership. The ECO is an important regional organization. I believe that we will achieve our goals for strengthening political relations between the member countries,” the prosecutor general said.
The deputy secretary general of the ECO, Alavi Sabzevari, noted that anti-corruption efforts take a special place in the organization’s agenda.
He recalled that the importance of creating an anti-corruption center was stressed at the last meeting in Tajikistan.
“The two-day event organized in Azerbaijan is a sign of close cooperation among the member states. I expressed my gratitude to Azerbaijan for holding the event at a high level,” said Sabzevari.
Azerbaijan’s Human Rights Commissioner (Ombudsperson) Elmira Suleymanova noted that a number of anti-corruption programs and three documents of strategic importance were adopted in Azerbaijan.
“In accordance with the law on combating corruption, an Anti-Corruption Commission and relevant agency of the General Prosecutor’s Office were created. The Ombudsman institute also plays an important role in the fight against corruption. The Ombudsman institute’s cooperation with competent state authorities guarantees for successes,” she added.
Martin Kreutner, Dean and Executive Secretary of the International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA), said it was his fifth visit to Azerbaijan.
"Our Academy pays special attention to international cooperation. We’ve brought together 71 countries. I am very glad that Azerbaijan is taking part in this initiative. Six of the 10 ECO members are members of the Academy. I invite the remaining 4 to join the organization,” he said.
Kreutner noted that corruption can bring on violence and instability.
“Therefore, anti-corruption measures are important for economic development. Let's work together to overcome global challenges. We are ready to cooperate with not only Azerbaijan, but the other ECO members as well,” he added.
Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov assured that Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate with IACA. “I believe ECO member countries will actively cooperate with IACA.”
Participants concluded that the meeting be chaired by Zakir Garalov and the agenda for the meeting was approved.
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2018F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Two hospitals will render medical services to participants, guests
- 20.04.2018Owners of 6 houses damaged in Baku landslide zone receive financial aid
- 20.04.2018Non-smoking area in Baku Metro expanded
- 20.04.2018Baku hosts conference on exposure of Armenian falsifications
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Housing market prices are not suitable for low-income families
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan may prosecute those failing to pay unemployment insurance and compulsory social insurance
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Legal regulation needed for use of social networks
- 19.04.2018Health Ministry: Anemia, kidney and heart diseases widespread among pregnant women in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201837,618 abortion cases recorded in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan reveals number of maternal deaths registered in 1Q 2018
- 19.04.2018Early marriages reported not only among Azerbaijanis living in Georgia: UNFPA study
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining rules for organizing social workplaces
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining cases of involvement in forced labor
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan may create vacancy bank for unemployed
- 05.04.2018Number of Azerbaijani citizens imprisoned in Georgia revealed
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 04.04.2018Construction of houses in Bayil landslide zone prohibited, deputy PM says
- 04.04.2018Residents of six collapsed houses in Bayil landslide zone to receive compensation within 10 days
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijani gov’t plans to relocate 97 families from landslide zone in Baku
- 04.04.2018Deputy PM explains reason behind removal of flagpole in Baku Flag Square
- 04.04.2018Conference held in Baku over completion of EU-fund twinning project
- 06.06.2017Zakir Garalov: Some political parties, NGOs violated Azerbaijan’s legislation
- 06.06.2017“Fight against corruption among priorities of Azerbaijan’s state policy”
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijani PA head signs order on Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy justice minister
- 05.06.2017Parents to be fined AZN 250 for their children smoking
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan sets fines for violation of tobacco use restriction