Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
Azerkhalcha OJSC has put on display a rare carpet left from the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
The flag carpet, which demonstrates the determination of the Azerbaijani people for independence, is one of the oldest and rare samples, the company’s press service told APA.
This pile carpet, weaved in Shusha, Karabakh in 1926 is a unique event in Azerbaijani carpet weaving.
For the first time in the cultural history of Azerbaijan, a state symbol – the flag has been depicted on a carpet.
The first flag of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, which existed between June 21 and November 9, 1918, was perpetuated on the carpet by national masters.
The carpet's inscriptions and illustrations have been weaved from right to left according to Arabic calligraphy rules. The carpet has a blue background symbolizing the nation’s Turkic origin, with a read flag in the middle featuring a yellow star and crescent. The inscription written in Arabic letters on the flag reads “Zikr edər cinnü-mələk həm insan. Yaşasın devletü Azərbaycan" and "Hür azade yaşatsun hamunu. Hem hüquq olsun er ile nisvan".
The pile carpet, 178x129, is made of wool.
“Weaving of a carpet reflecting the attribute of an independent state in 1926 required great courage. That was a period when intellectuals who propagandized ideas of independence and wanted to see Azerbaijan as an independent state were persecuted, and preparations for the 1930s repressions were made. Weaving of such a carpet in that period shows that no force could displace the desire of the Azerbaijani people to live independently. Choosing a carpet as a symbol of independence is not accidental because the carpet is our national wealth, a valuable example of lifestyle and history of the Azerbaijani people,” said the company’s press service.
This unique carpet was taken from the personal collection in the Netherlands and brought to Azerbaijan in 2013.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2018306 infected with HIV in Azerbaijan in H1 2018
- 20.07.2018WhatsApp to limit message forwarding
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 1.3M to State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance
- 19.07.2018Foreigners can get work visas in Azerbaijan through ASAN Visa – Migration Service
- 19.07.2018North-west wind to intensify in Baku in coming days
- 19.07.2018Number of foreigners granted refugee status in Azerbaijan rises
- 19.07.2018Number of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan increases
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijan increases fines for pedestrians violating road crossing rules
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Code of Administrative Offenses
- 14.07.2018Minister: Serious violations in appointment of pensions reveal in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Weather forecast for July 15
- 14.07.2018Amendments to Azerbaijan’s migration legislation come into force
- 13.07.2018Number of Azerbaijani population has been announced
- 13.07.2018Sudeif Imamverdiyev awarded Sharaf Order
- 13.07.2018BHOS students to work and do internship at Petkim in Turkey
- 12.07.2018Temperature to drop in Baku
- 12.07.2018Baku Higher Oil School and Ministry of Labor and Social Protection hold joint presentation at BHOS
- 11.07.2018BHOS achieves 100 percent MBA student enrollment
- 10.07.2018Meteorologists warn of hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Scottish newspaper publishes names of BHOS graduates
- 09.07.2018UNEC offers second specialization free for students gaining 700 points
- 07.07.2018Head of Sumgayit water canal department fined for sewage water pumped into Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Temperature to drop, north-west wind to intensify in Baku
- 05.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal to produce graduates that meet global labor market needs
- 04.07.2018Temperature to drop by 4-6 degrees in Azerbaijan from July 5
- 04.07.2018Hot weather to stay in Absheron peninsula
- 04.07.2018Lunar eclipse to take place in July – ANAS
- 03.07.2018Meteorologists warn hot weather will continue across Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani roads affected by series of landslides, new landslide-prone areas emerge in several districts
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani border guards intercept 7 trespassers
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan to submit report on sustainable development to UN in 2019
- 02.07.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan to work towards goal of building a more socially oriented society by 2030
- 02.07.2018Weather temperature to reach 46C in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Int’l competition and nationwide championship of junior rescuers and firefighters end in Gabal
- 30.06.2018Hot weather to prevail in Baku in coming days
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president promotes two Interior Ministry officers
- 29.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Siyazan
- 29.06.2018July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan increases state duties for driving license issuance and car registration
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan extends registration period for foreigners
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade