Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
Azerkhalcha OJSC has put on display a rare carpet left from the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
The flag carpet, which demonstrates the determination of the Azerbaijani people for independence, is one of the oldest and rare samples, the company’s press service told APA.
This pile carpet, weaved in Shusha, Karabakh in 1926 is a unique event in Azerbaijani carpet weaving.
For the first time in the cultural history of Azerbaijan, a state symbol – the flag has been depicted on a carpet.
The first flag of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, which existed between June 21 and November 9, 1918, was perpetuated on the carpet by national masters.
The carpet's inscriptions and illustrations have been weaved from right to left according to Arabic calligraphy rules. The carpet has a blue background symbolizing the nation’s Turkic origin, with a read flag in the middle featuring a yellow star and crescent. The inscription written in Arabic letters on the flag reads “Zikr edər cinnü-mələk həm insan. Yaşasın devletü Azərbaycan" and "Hür azade yaşatsun hamunu. Hem hüquq olsun er ile nisvan".
The pile carpet, 178x129, is made of wool.
“Weaving of a carpet reflecting the attribute of an independent state in 1926 required great courage. That was a period when intellectuals who propagandized ideas of independence and wanted to see Azerbaijan as an independent state were persecuted, and preparations for the 1930s repressions were made. Weaving of such a carpet in that period shows that no force could displace the desire of the Azerbaijani people to live independently. Choosing a carpet as a symbol of independence is not accidental because the carpet is our national wealth, a valuable example of lifestyle and history of the Azerbaijani people,” said the company’s press service.
This unique carpet was taken from the personal collection in the Netherlands and brought to Azerbaijan in 2013.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Weather forecast for May 20
- 18.05.2018Newspaper Echo closing down
- 18.05.2018More than 900 people die of HIV in Azerbaijan over past 31 years
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s SEC to hold TOEFL IBT and SAT exams
- 18.05.2018193 diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 2018, 16 mortalities reported
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources has received a BP delegation.
- 16.05.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Nakhchivan Teachers Institute
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates secondary school in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev launches start of reconstruction of water supply system in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces results of entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani president inaugurates new building of Heydar Aliyev Modern Educational Complex - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan creates organizing committee to hold European Youth Olympic Festival
- 15.05.2018Amount of fee for ASAN visas offered at Azerbaijani airports determined
- 15.05.2018Over 430,000 foreigners granted Azerbaijani visas via ASAN Visa since January 2017
- 15.05.2018ASAN Visa system launched at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- 14.05.2018Evasion from paying unemployment insurance and mandatory state social insurance to entail criminal liability
- 12.05.2018Traffic movement to be restricted in center of Baku tomorrow
- 12.05.2018Lightning, heavy rain expected in some places tomorrow
- 11.05.2018ITV Director General Jamil Guliyev removed from duty
- 11.05.2018"Sevdiyim" project presented in Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups on May 13
- 10.05.2018Unknown predators found in Azerbaijan’s Ismayilli
- 09.05.2018MENR reveals causes of strong odor in Baku’s atmosphere
- 09.05.2018Weather forecast for May 10
- 09.05.2018Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on May 10
- 08.05.2018Police salaries increased 16-fold in last 15 years – interior minister
- 07.05.2018Kamran Imanov appointed chairman of Board of Intellectual Property Agency
- 07.05.2018Torture in prisons discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting in Baku
- 07.05.2018Top official: Freedom of speech and press ensured in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijani official: Counterfeit drugs trade – one of most serious crimes
- 04.05.2018Results of final exams held for 9th form pupils on March 18 publicized
- 04.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Azerbaijani carpet weavers
- 04.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly renovated road
- 04.05.2018Over 3,000 hectares of forest in Azerbaijan’s Gazakh, Goranboy districts under Armenian occupation – ministry
- 03.05.2018Sculptor Tokay Mammadov laid to rest in 2nd Alley of Honor - UPDATED
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament’s health committee proposes prohibiting advertising of drugs
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Education Ministry appeals to teachers to participate in diagnostic assessment
- 03.05.2018ASAN Visa to grant e-visa to citizens of 15 countries
- 02.05.2018Imagine festival became tradition in Azerbaijan – EU envoy
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade