Int’l scientific conference on centenary of 1918 March Genocide against Azerbaijanis kicks off in Baku
An international scientific conference, titled “The 100th Anniversary of the Genocide against Azerbaijanis. The Policy of Genocide, Military Aggression and Ethnic Cleansing in the Modern Period”, kicked off at the Cultural Center of Azerbaijan’s State Security Service in Baku on Thursday.
Co-organized by the State Commission for Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons and the State Security Service, the conference is being attended by scientists from Azerbaijan, Turkey, the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Ireland, Georgia and Russia
The participants viewed the photo-documents and books published by the State Commission that were on display.
Ismayil Akhundov, secretary of the State Commission on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing People of Azerbaijan and head of the working group, said that 100 years ago—that is, in March-April 1918—Dashnak-Bolshevik armed groups operating under the mandate of the Baku Council carried out a massacre of Azerbaijanis.
“On those days tens of thousands of civilians were killed in Baku and other cities of Baku governorate for ethnic and religious identity. Moreover, residential areas, cultural monuments, mosques and cemeteries were destroyed. The 1918 genocide against the Azerbaijani-Turkish population was not limited to the territory of Azerbaijan; it also targeted the peaceful Muslims living in the South Caucasus, Turkey and Iran,” he noted.
Akhundov reminded that President Heydar Aliyev signed an order on March 26, 1998 to declare March 31 as the ‘Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis.’
“As a result of the policy of ethnic cleansing and genocide conducted by the Armenian military, 20 percent of the Azerbaijani territory was occupied and more than a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and IDPs. In addition, 20,000 people were killed, 50,000 became disabled and 3,875 went missing,” he added.
Prof. Kemal Cicek, director of New Turkey Strategic Research Center, said that although today there are representatives of different ethnic groups in Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan, there is no one except Armenians living in Armenia.
Prof. Solmaz Rustamova-Tohidi of the Ziya Bunyadov Institute of Oriental Studies of the National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan said that the March 31 massacres were assessed even in the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic era.
"Mammad Amin Rasulzade called the people killed in March-April massacres ‘victims of liberty’. However, after the April revolution the March-April massacres were referred to as a civil war,” she noted.
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining rules for organizing social workplaces
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining cases of involvement in forced labor
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan may create vacancy bank for unemployed
- 05.04.2018Number of Azerbaijani citizens imprisoned in Georgia revealed
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 04.04.2018Construction of houses in Bayil landslide zone prohibited, deputy PM says
- 04.04.2018Residents of six collapsed houses in Bayil landslide zone to receive compensation within 10 days
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijani gov’t plans to relocate 97 families from landslide zone in Baku
- 04.04.2018Deputy PM explains reason behind removal of flagpole in Baku Flag Square
- 04.04.2018Conference held in Baku over completion of EU-fund twinning project
- 03.04.2018Salaries of 150,000 school teachers doubled in Azerbaijan since 2014
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold another mock exam for university admission
- 03.04.2018KOICA Azerbaijan Office announces new country director appointment
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, State Security Service detain illegal migrants
- 31.03.2018Scientific conference dedicated to centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Guba
- 31.03.2018March held in Guba to mark centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 30.03.2018Ministry: Amount of dust in air reaches norm in Baku
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament adopts statement on centenary of 1918 March Genocide against Azerbaijanis
- 30.03.2018Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 30.03.2018Wind expected to intensify in Azerbaijan
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold first mock exam for university admission
- 27.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN6.1 million to Moral Values Promotion Fund
- 29.03.2018Ministry: Amount of dust in air above norm in Baku - UPDATED - 1
- 29.03.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th birth anniversary of academician Ahad Yagubov
- 29.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for construction of Gazakh district central hospital
- 29.03.2018Admission to Azerbaijan Institute of Theology in 2018 depends on resolving issue of premises
- 29.03.2018No conflict between Azerbaijanis and Armenians living in Baku, says PA rep.
- 28.03.2018Russian embassy in Azerbaijan opens book of condolence for Kemerovo mall fire victims