Int’l scientific conference on centenary of 1918 March Genocide against Azerbaijanis kicks off in Baku
An international scientific conference, titled “The 100th Anniversary of the Genocide against Azerbaijanis. The Policy of Genocide, Military Aggression and Ethnic Cleansing in the Modern Period”, kicked off at the Cultural Center of Azerbaijan’s State Security Service in Baku on Thursday.
Co-organized by the State Commission for Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons and the State Security Service, the conference is being attended by scientists from Azerbaijan, Turkey, the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Ireland, Georgia and Russia
The participants viewed the photo-documents and books published by the State Commission that were on display.
Ismayil Akhundov, secretary of the State Commission on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing People of Azerbaijan and head of the working group, said that 100 years ago—that is, in March-April 1918—Dashnak-Bolshevik armed groups operating under the mandate of the Baku Council carried out a massacre of Azerbaijanis.
“On those days tens of thousands of civilians were killed in Baku and other cities of Baku governorate for ethnic and religious identity. Moreover, residential areas, cultural monuments, mosques and cemeteries were destroyed. The 1918 genocide against the Azerbaijani-Turkish population was not limited to the territory of Azerbaijan; it also targeted the peaceful Muslims living in the South Caucasus, Turkey and Iran,” he noted.
Akhundov reminded that President Heydar Aliyev signed an order on March 26, 1998 to declare March 31 as the ‘Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis.’
“As a result of the policy of ethnic cleansing and genocide conducted by the Armenian military, 20 percent of the Azerbaijani territory was occupied and more than a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and IDPs. In addition, 20,000 people were killed, 50,000 became disabled and 3,875 went missing,” he added.
Prof. Kemal Cicek, director of New Turkey Strategic Research Center, said that although today there are representatives of different ethnic groups in Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan, there is no one except Armenians living in Armenia.
Prof. Solmaz Rustamova-Tohidi of the Ziya Bunyadov Institute of Oriental Studies of the National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan said that the March 31 massacres were assessed even in the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic era.
"Mammad Amin Rasulzade called the people killed in March-April massacres ‘victims of liberty’. However, after the April revolution the March-April massacres were referred to as a civil war,” she noted.
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Code of Administrative Offenses
- 14.07.2018Minister: Serious violations in appointment of pensions reveal in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Weather forecast for July 15
- 14.07.2018Amendments to Azerbaijan’s migration legislation come into force
- 13.07.2018Number of Azerbaijani population has been announced
- 13.07.2018Sudeif Imamverdiyev awarded Sharaf Order
- 13.07.2018BHOS students to work and do internship at Petkim in Turkey
- 12.07.2018Temperature to drop in Baku
- 12.07.2018Baku Higher Oil School and Ministry of Labor and Social Protection hold joint presentation at BHOS
- 11.07.2018BHOS achieves 100 percent MBA student enrollment
- 10.07.2018Meteorologists warn of hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Scottish newspaper publishes names of BHOS graduates
- 09.07.2018UNEC offers second specialization free for students gaining 700 points
- 07.07.2018Head of Sumgayit water canal department fined for sewage water pumped into Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Temperature to drop, north-west wind to intensify in Baku
- 05.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal to produce graduates that meet global labor market needs
- 04.07.2018Temperature to drop by 4-6 degrees in Azerbaijan from July 5
- 04.07.2018Hot weather to stay in Absheron peninsula
- 04.07.2018Lunar eclipse to take place in July – ANAS
- 03.07.2018Meteorologists warn hot weather will continue across Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani roads affected by series of landslides, new landslide-prone areas emerge in several districts
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani border guards intercept 7 trespassers
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan to submit report on sustainable development to UN in 2019
- 02.07.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan to work towards goal of building a more socially oriented society by 2030
- 02.07.2018Weather temperature to reach 46C in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Int’l competition and nationwide championship of junior rescuers and firefighters end in Gabal
- 30.06.2018Hot weather to prevail in Baku in coming days
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president promotes two Interior Ministry officers
- 29.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Siyazan
- 29.06.2018July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan increases state duties for driving license issuance and car registration
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan extends registration period for foreigners
- 29.06.2018Post of chief probation officer created in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Education appointed
- 28.06.2018Baku Forum on Sustainable Development to be held in October
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijani president allocates funds for development of Baku’s master plan
- 27.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves new composition of Sate Oil Fund Supervisory Board
- 27.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 26.06.2018Weather forecast for June 27
- 25.06.2018Over 70,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan on June 27
- 29.03.2018Ministry: Amount of dust in air above norm in Baku - UPDATED - 1
- 29.03.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th birth anniversary of academician Ahad Yagubov
- 29.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for construction of Gazakh district central hospital
- 29.03.2018Admission to Azerbaijan Institute of Theology in 2018 depends on resolving issue of premises
- 29.03.2018No conflict between Azerbaijanis and Armenians living in Baku, says PA rep.
- 28.03.2018Russian embassy in Azerbaijan opens book of condolence for Kemerovo mall fire victims