Landslides causing cracks on walls of houses in Azerbaijan’s Shamakh
Cracks have formed on the walls of houses in Gushchu village of Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi district as a result of continual landslides that have intensified after large amounts of precipitation over the past month.
Landslides occur in the village on a daily basis, bringing masses of soil from nearby uplands onto houses, APA’s local bureau reported.
An 8ha-area of land has become subject to landslide in the last few days, creating huge ravines and causing groundwater to rise to the surface. Landslide has quickly engulfed residential areas and buildings as well. The affected area is 1,500 meters in length and 180 meters in width. The ravines are 2 meters in depth.
As a result of landslides, fences, trees, sown areas remained underground, houses and auxiliary buildings were damaged. In recent days, big cracks formed on the walls of 10 houses in Kushchu village. There is also a threat of flooding of a fount which provides 300 houses with drinking water. The road leading to the fount closed as a result of landslides.
Representatives of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources, Shamakhi District Executive Authority inspected the landslide-affected area and met with residents.
More than 400 houses were damaged during the landslide that took place in the district center as well as in seven villages, Shamakhi district Executive Power told APA's local bureau.
The landslide is more frequent in Shamakhi, as well as in Cabani, Madrasa, Meysari, Birinci Chayli, Muganli, Adzhidere and Kaleybugurt villages in the district.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Weather forecast for May 20
- 18.05.2018Newspaper Echo closing down
- 18.05.2018More than 900 people die of HIV in Azerbaijan over past 31 years
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s SEC to hold TOEFL IBT and SAT exams
- 18.05.2018193 diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 2018, 16 mortalities reported
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources has received a BP delegation.
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade
- 16.05.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Nakhchivan Teachers Institute
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates secondary school in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev launches start of reconstruction of water supply system in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces results of entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani president inaugurates new building of Heydar Aliyev Modern Educational Complex - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan creates organizing committee to hold European Youth Olympic Festival
- 15.05.2018Amount of fee for ASAN visas offered at Azerbaijani airports determined
- 15.05.2018Over 430,000 foreigners granted Azerbaijani visas via ASAN Visa since January 2017
- 15.05.2018ASAN Visa system launched at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- 14.05.2018Evasion from paying unemployment insurance and mandatory state social insurance to entail criminal liability
- 12.05.2018Traffic movement to be restricted in center of Baku tomorrow
- 12.05.2018Lightning, heavy rain expected in some places tomorrow
- 11.05.2018ITV Director General Jamil Guliyev removed from duty
- 11.05.2018"Sevdiyim" project presented in Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups on May 13
- 10.05.2018Unknown predators found in Azerbaijan’s Ismayilli
- 09.05.2018MENR reveals causes of strong odor in Baku’s atmosphere
- 09.05.2018Weather forecast for May 10
- 09.05.2018Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on May 10
- 08.05.2018Police salaries increased 16-fold in last 15 years – interior minister
- 07.05.2018Kamran Imanov appointed chairman of Board of Intellectual Property Agency
- 07.05.2018Torture in prisons discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting in Baku
- 07.05.2018Top official: Freedom of speech and press ensured in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijani official: Counterfeit drugs trade – one of most serious crimes
- 04.05.2018Results of final exams held for 9th form pupils on March 18 publicized
- 04.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Azerbaijani carpet weavers
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan restricts right of 14,000 debtors to leave the country
- 23.01.2018UN Office, Israeli Embassy jointly organize ‘Holocaust Week’ in Azerbaijan
- 23.01.2018Azerbaijan advances in 2018 Best Countries Report
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to law on organ transplantation
- 22.01.2018Up to 60% of last year’s deaths in Azerbaijan resulted from heart failure
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan to prohibit sale of medications to teenagers under 14