Landslides causing cracks on walls of houses in Azerbaijan’s Shamakh
Cracks have formed on the walls of houses in Gushchu village of Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi district as a result of continual landslides that have intensified after large amounts of precipitation over the past month.
Landslides occur in the village on a daily basis, bringing masses of soil from nearby uplands onto houses, APA’s local bureau reported.
An 8ha-area of land has become subject to landslide in the last few days, creating huge ravines and causing groundwater to rise to the surface. Landslide has quickly engulfed residential areas and buildings as well. The affected area is 1,500 meters in length and 180 meters in width. The ravines are 2 meters in depth.
As a result of landslides, fences, trees, sown areas remained underground, houses and auxiliary buildings were damaged. In recent days, big cracks formed on the walls of 10 houses in Kushchu village. There is also a threat of flooding of a fount which provides 300 houses with drinking water. The road leading to the fount closed as a result of landslides.
Representatives of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources, Shamakhi District Executive Authority inspected the landslide-affected area and met with residents.
More than 400 houses were damaged during the landslide that took place in the district center as well as in seven villages, Shamakhi district Executive Power told APA's local bureau.
The landslide is more frequent in Shamakhi, as well as in Cabani, Madrasa, Meysari, Birinci Chayli, Muganli, Adzhidere and Kaleybugurt villages in the district.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 16.02.2018Georgian education minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018ASAN and ABAD very good Azerbaijani brands: EU envoy
- 16.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers: Families relocated from Bayil landslide area to be given rental money
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan discloses non-working days in March 2018
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani State Commission: 3,875 persons listed as missing
- 15.02.2018State Border Service detains 45 trespassers in January
- 15.02.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan prohibits holding positions of department head and dean at the same time at university
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces interview for 165 vacant positions in 6 state bodies
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on additional measures for improvement of social protection of population
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani teachers issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 13.02.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 13.02.2018U.S. helps young IDPs build career skills
- 13.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers specifies date of final decision with regard to landslide area in Bayil
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service detains 11 foreigners
- 12.02.2018Guba Genocide Memorial Complex under reconstruction
- 12.02.2018Plan of events on 26th anniversary of Khojaly genocide approved
- 10.02.2018Four houses destoryed after landslide hits Bayil, no casualities reported
- 10.02.2018190 years pass since signing of Turkmenchay treaty
- 09.02.2018Health Ministry official proposes to allow organ trade in Azerbaijan
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC reveals results of admission examination to Collegium of Advocates
- 08.02.2018Tbilisi court sentences Azerbaijani doctor to 6 years in prison
- 08.02.2018Presentation of Expo 2025 Baku held at UN Headquarters
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijan sees increase in number of donors, amounts of donated blood
- 07.02.2018Armenians continue to destroy flora and fauna in occupied Azerbaijani lands – deputy minister
- 06.02.2018Quotas to be allocated for Azerbaijani students to study at Tajik universities
- 06.02.2018‘Arenda’ and ‘Toybəy’ among the most bizarre names chosen by parents for children
- 06.02.2018Baku awaits foggy weather
- 05.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of international and foreign trade unions - UPDATED
- 05.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: 265,000 people provided with apartments at state expense in Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Trade unions should focus on protecting workers' rights
- 03.02.2018Nakhchivan declared Youth Capital of 2018
- 02.02.2018Event dedicated to Youth Day held in Buta Palace
- 02.02.2018Azerbaijani president issues order on conferring President’s Award for Youth in 2018
- 02.02.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 6.87M for construction of modular-type schools in northern region
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan restricts right of 14,000 debtors to leave the country
- 23.01.2018UN Office, Israeli Embassy jointly organize ‘Holocaust Week’ in Azerbaijan
- 23.01.2018Azerbaijan advances in 2018 Best Countries Report
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to law on organ transplantation
- 22.01.2018Up to 60% of last year’s deaths in Azerbaijan resulted from heart failure
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan to prohibit sale of medications to teenagers under 14