London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
The rain drops are glowing on the fallen leaves on the ground as the first rays of the Sun begin to shine. Although the weather looks sunny, I can feel the cold of November in my hands as they’re beginning to freeze. I had just thought it was high time I wore gloves that I accidentally bumped into a woman who was passing by. I turned around and saw a middle-aged woman who apologized to me. I, too, apologized to her in my turn. After thanking each other, she went her way and I went mine…
It might be the first time you’re witnessing such a tradition, but after living in London for a time, you too—like everyone else—will eventually get used to the ‘culture of apology’, which is characteristic of the English. Or even you become part of the culture, let alone get accustomed to it.
Everyone has their own reason for visiting London, a city that is visited by millions of people annually. Some visit Albion as a tourist, while others come here for study or work. For whatever reason you come, London will soon make you fall in love with itself.
As a person who has been living here for 15 years, I would like to inform you about my favorite aspects of London. But first of all, I want to give you a reminder beforehand that London’s must-see places are innumerable to write about. Those in particular who come here for the first time are fascinated by every street, especially those two- or three-storey houses you might remember seeing in films. But since we have to start from a point anyway, I would like to start with parks. Hyde Park, Green Park, Regent’s Park, St James Park, Kensington Gardens are London’s major parks, even symbols. There are spectacular views in parks. There are spectacular views in parks. You can meet people doing sports, families with their children, animal lovers walking with their pets, or sitting and listening, sometimes sunbathing at any time of the day. Even in rainy weather, which is constantly prevalent in London...
Museums are the second magnificent places in London that lead to an increase in tourist flows. You can see works of the world’s most famous artists at museums in London without any payment. The reason for this is that many museums and galleries are supported by the state. So you can admire free of charge, for example, the beauty of Monet’s Sunflowers at the National Gallery.
Another symbol of London is, of course, Westminster's territory with the famous London Eye and Big Ben. You will see people on the Westminster Bridge posing for a picture at the best angle with these two famous symbols of London. If you had a chance to travel to London at least once before, the concrete barriers newly installed on entrances and exits of London bridges in order to protect pedestrians from terrorist attacks can be attractive for you. However, these barriers which remind the recent terrible terrorist attacks could not harm London’s beauty and hinder tourist arrivals in this city.
After walking slowly through St James Park and looking at and taking photos of squirrels, you can see the palace where people compete with one another to take photos in front of its gate. When I went to take photo in front of the palace, I could see the Queen in a car leaving the Palace. And as always, hundreds of locals and tourists gather in front of the Palace to be able to see the Queen just for a second at least. I should note that the English people have special love for the royal family. The Palace is open to visitors several times a year. If you, by chance, are in London on such days, you will have the chance to see certain parts of this magnificent building. However, it is recommended to buy tickets in advance.
As I mentioned above, it's easy to start, but hard to put an end to writing about London. Noting that there are so many things to write about every part of the city and promising to further write about every place of London, that’s all for now!
Aytan Abbasli, APA London
Photos are copyrighted by the author.
- 19.03.2018Schools to be on Novruz Holiday starting tomorrow
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Ali bey Huseynzade’s daughter “Dostlug” Order
- 17.03.2018Monument to victims of genocide committed by Armenia erected in Guba
- 16.03.2018AZN 4mln allocated for construction of modular schools in four districts
- 16.03.2018South Caucasus’s most ancient jewelry item exhibited at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 16.03.2018State Migration Service employees granted high special ranks
- 16.03.2018State Committee: Turkish MP whose health suddenly deteriorated during Baku forum is in stable condition
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP suffers heart attack while speaking at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.03.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Salyan
- 15.03.2018Real TV starts satellite broadcasting
- 15.03.2018Nizami Ganjavi International Award presented to First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan fines Qatari national for illegal hunting
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces competition for 24 vacancies in 7 state bodies
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves composition of Youth Foundation’s Supervisory Board
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for purchase of apartments for Karabakh war disabled, families of martyrs
- 13.03.2018New executive director of Azerbaijan Youth Foundation appointed
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate Wind Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 12.03.2018Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Salyan
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for construction of carpet factory in Sabunchu
- 09.03.2018Real TV will start satellite broadcasting on March 12
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of State Security Service employees
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan defines new procedure for financing education abroad
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing salaries of employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijan to hold first stage of final exam for 9th graders on March 11
- 07.03.2018About 2,700 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgian universities
- 07.03.2018UNICEF: 12 million girls a year become child brides
- 06.03.2018Mexican ambassador visits Goychay
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on group of women
- 06.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of new building of sanatorium-type orphanage-kindergarten in Mashtagha settlement
- 06.03.2018UNICEF: Incidence of early marriages reduced to almost zero in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018UNICEF may assist in rehabilitation of Azerbaijani children in Iraq and Syria
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate second Tuesday of Novruz holiday
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of employees of a number of state-funded organizations
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on additional measures to improve water supply for several villages in Sabirabad district
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in melioration, water economy, fishery fields
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in areas of housing and communal services, transport, communications.
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in agriculture, ecology, environment protection areas
- 14.11.2017Baku State University’s 100th anniversary to be marked at state level
- 15.11.2017Deputy Minister reacts to US State Department advising its citizens not to undergo surgery in Azerbaijan
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Consulate General commemorates Holocaust in Los Angeles