London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
The rain drops are glowing on the fallen leaves on the ground as the first rays of the Sun begin to shine. Although the weather looks sunny, I can feel the cold of November in my hands as they’re beginning to freeze. I had just thought it was high time I wore gloves that I accidentally bumped into a woman who was passing by. I turned around and saw a middle-aged woman who apologized to me. I, too, apologized to her in my turn. After thanking each other, she went her way and I went mine…
It might be the first time you’re witnessing such a tradition, but after living in London for a time, you too—like everyone else—will eventually get used to the ‘culture of apology’, which is characteristic of the English. Or even you become part of the culture, let alone get accustomed to it.
Everyone has their own reason for visiting London, a city that is visited by millions of people annually. Some visit Albion as a tourist, while others come here for study or work. For whatever reason you come, London will soon make you fall in love with itself.
As a person who has been living here for 15 years, I would like to inform you about my favorite aspects of London. But first of all, I want to give you a reminder beforehand that London’s must-see places are innumerable to write about. Those in particular who come here for the first time are fascinated by every street, especially those two- or three-storey houses you might remember seeing in films. But since we have to start from a point anyway, I would like to start with parks. Hyde Park, Green Park, Regent’s Park, St James Park, Kensington Gardens are London’s major parks, even symbols. There are spectacular views in parks. There are spectacular views in parks. You can meet people doing sports, families with their children, animal lovers walking with their pets, or sitting and listening, sometimes sunbathing at any time of the day. Even in rainy weather, which is constantly prevalent in London...
Museums are the second magnificent places in London that lead to an increase in tourist flows. You can see works of the world’s most famous artists at museums in London without any payment. The reason for this is that many museums and galleries are supported by the state. So you can admire free of charge, for example, the beauty of Monet’s Sunflowers at the National Gallery.
Another symbol of London is, of course, Westminster's territory with the famous London Eye and Big Ben. You will see people on the Westminster Bridge posing for a picture at the best angle with these two famous symbols of London. If you had a chance to travel to London at least once before, the concrete barriers newly installed on entrances and exits of London bridges in order to protect pedestrians from terrorist attacks can be attractive for you. However, these barriers which remind the recent terrible terrorist attacks could not harm London’s beauty and hinder tourist arrivals in this city.
After walking slowly through St James Park and looking at and taking photos of squirrels, you can see the palace where people compete with one another to take photos in front of its gate. When I went to take photo in front of the palace, I could see the Queen in a car leaving the Palace. And as always, hundreds of locals and tourists gather in front of the Palace to be able to see the Queen just for a second at least. I should note that the English people have special love for the royal family. The Palace is open to visitors several times a year. If you, by chance, are in London on such days, you will have the chance to see certain parts of this magnificent building. However, it is recommended to buy tickets in advance.
As I mentioned above, it's easy to start, but hard to put an end to writing about London. Noting that there are so many things to write about every part of the city and promising to further write about every place of London, that’s all for now!
Aytan Abbasli, APA London
Photos are copyrighted by the author.
- 16.01.2018Keshikchi Dag monastery needs to be repaired – Azerbaijani State Service
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance becomes public legal entity
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court denies former health minister’s appeal
- 16.01.2018Isa Gambar in stable condition, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Siyavush Novruzov: If necessary, state will support Isa Gambar’s treatment
- 15.01.2018Isa Gambar’s health condition improving, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Health Ministry: Infant and child mortality rates in Azerbaijan drop three times
- 14.01.2018Recent discovery in Meteorites may prove there is life outside Earth - Study
- 13.01.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 10.01.2018Citizens of Non-Aligned movement states to get education grants in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM in Russia for talks on nuclear deal, Syria
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: 2,300 IDP families provided with new apartments in 2017
- 08.01.2018Masalli resident captures injured eagle
- 06.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on highway construction in Khachmaz
- 06.01.2018Turkish citizen standing trial in Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018ANAMA issues 2017 annual report
- 05.01.2018FEP rates photo of Heydar Aliyev Center as ‘Cover Picture of 2017’
- 05.01.2018Man detained attempting to smuggle drugs from Iran to Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018MES holds operational meeting on search of missing climbers
- 03.01.2018Nearly 386,000 children born worldwide on New Year’s Day, says UNICEF
- 31.12.2017Baku welcomes New Year - PHOTOSESSION
- 31.12.2017World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves “Law on Restriction of Use of Tobacco Products”
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan abolishes penalty for conversation that can district driver’s attention
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan establishes professional holiday of ASAN Service employees
- 29.12.2017Diabetics increase, specialists decrease in numbers in Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Yanardag Reserve
- 29.12.2017Israeli ambassador visits Pirallahi district
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast for holidays
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MP suggests exempting disabled from education fee
- 29.12.2017January weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan makes structural changes to Economy Ministry
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles upon several people on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 28.12.2017Relocation from Sovetsky to continue in January 2018
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijan detains Indian citizens accused of aiding illegal migration
- 27.12.2017Street in Tbilisi named after prominent Azerbaijani Rashid Behbudov
- 27.12.2017Tbilisi streets named after prominent Azerbaijanis: Many of these names exist on map only
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security on holidays
- 26.12.2017Patriarch Kirill presents high order of Russian Orthodox Church to Mehriban Aliyeva
- 26.12.2017Ali Hasanov: 11,000 IDP families live in 117 buildings in disrepair in Baku - INTERVIEW
- 14.11.2017Baku State University’s 100th anniversary to be marked at state level
- 15.11.2017Deputy Minister reacts to US State Department advising its citizens not to undergo surgery in Azerbaijan
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Consulate General commemorates Holocaust in Los Angeles