London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
The rain drops are glowing on the fallen leaves on the ground as the first rays of the Sun begin to shine. Although the weather looks sunny, I can feel the cold of November in my hands as they’re beginning to freeze. I had just thought it was high time I wore gloves that I accidentally bumped into a woman who was passing by. I turned around and saw a middle-aged woman who apologized to me. I, too, apologized to her in my turn. After thanking each other, she went her way and I went mine…
It might be the first time you’re witnessing such a tradition, but after living in London for a time, you too—like everyone else—will eventually get used to the ‘culture of apology’, which is characteristic of the English. Or even you become part of the culture, let alone get accustomed to it.
Everyone has their own reason for visiting London, a city that is visited by millions of people annually. Some visit Albion as a tourist, while others come here for study or work. For whatever reason you come, London will soon make you fall in love with itself.
As a person who has been living here for 15 years, I would like to inform you about my favorite aspects of London. But first of all, I want to give you a reminder beforehand that London’s must-see places are innumerable to write about. Those in particular who come here for the first time are fascinated by every street, especially those two- or three-storey houses you might remember seeing in films. But since we have to start from a point anyway, I would like to start with parks. Hyde Park, Green Park, Regent’s Park, St James Park, Kensington Gardens are London’s major parks, even symbols. There are spectacular views in parks. There are spectacular views in parks. You can meet people doing sports, families with their children, animal lovers walking with their pets, or sitting and listening, sometimes sunbathing at any time of the day. Even in rainy weather, which is constantly prevalent in London...
Museums are the second magnificent places in London that lead to an increase in tourist flows. You can see works of the world’s most famous artists at museums in London without any payment. The reason for this is that many museums and galleries are supported by the state. So you can admire free of charge, for example, the beauty of Monet’s Sunflowers at the National Gallery.
Another symbol of London is, of course, Westminster's territory with the famous London Eye and Big Ben. You will see people on the Westminster Bridge posing for a picture at the best angle with these two famous symbols of London. If you had a chance to travel to London at least once before, the concrete barriers newly installed on entrances and exits of London bridges in order to protect pedestrians from terrorist attacks can be attractive for you. However, these barriers which remind the recent terrible terrorist attacks could not harm London’s beauty and hinder tourist arrivals in this city.
After walking slowly through St James Park and looking at and taking photos of squirrels, you can see the palace where people compete with one another to take photos in front of its gate. When I went to take photo in front of the palace, I could see the Queen in a car leaving the Palace. And as always, hundreds of locals and tourists gather in front of the Palace to be able to see the Queen just for a second at least. I should note that the English people have special love for the royal family. The Palace is open to visitors several times a year. If you, by chance, are in London on such days, you will have the chance to see certain parts of this magnificent building. However, it is recommended to buy tickets in advance.
As I mentioned above, it's easy to start, but hard to put an end to writing about London. Noting that there are so many things to write about every part of the city and promising to further write about every place of London, that’s all for now!
Aytan Abbasli, APA London
Photos are copyrighted by the author.
- 14.07.2018Minister: Serious violations in appointment of pensions reveal in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Weather forecast for July 15
- 14.07.2018Amendments to Azerbaijan’s migration legislation come into force
- 13.07.2018Number of Azerbaijani population has been announced
- 13.07.2018Sudeif Imamverdiyev awarded Sharaf Order
- 13.07.2018BHOS students to work and do internship at Petkim in Turkey
- 12.07.2018Temperature to drop in Baku
- 12.07.2018Baku Higher Oil School and Ministry of Labor and Social Protection hold joint presentation at BHOS
- 11.07.2018BHOS achieves 100 percent MBA student enrollment
- 10.07.2018Meteorologists warn of hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Scottish newspaper publishes names of BHOS graduates
- 09.07.2018UNEC offers second specialization free for students gaining 700 points
- 07.07.2018Head of Sumgayit water canal department fined for sewage water pumped into Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Temperature to drop, north-west wind to intensify in Baku
- 05.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal to produce graduates that meet global labor market needs
- 04.07.2018Temperature to drop by 4-6 degrees in Azerbaijan from July 5
- 04.07.2018Hot weather to stay in Absheron peninsula
- 04.07.2018Lunar eclipse to take place in July – ANAS
- 03.07.2018Meteorologists warn hot weather will continue across Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani roads affected by series of landslides, new landslide-prone areas emerge in several districts
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani border guards intercept 7 trespassers
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan to submit report on sustainable development to UN in 2019
- 02.07.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan to work towards goal of building a more socially oriented society by 2030
- 02.07.2018Weather temperature to reach 46C in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Int’l competition and nationwide championship of junior rescuers and firefighters end in Gabal
- 30.06.2018Hot weather to prevail in Baku in coming days
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president promotes two Interior Ministry officers
- 29.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Siyazan
- 29.06.2018July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan increases state duties for driving license issuance and car registration
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan extends registration period for foreigners
- 29.06.2018Post of chief probation officer created in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Education appointed
- 28.06.2018Baku Forum on Sustainable Development to be held in October
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijani president allocates funds for development of Baku’s master plan
- 27.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves new composition of Sate Oil Fund Supervisory Board
- 27.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 26.06.2018Weather forecast for June 27
- 25.06.2018Over 70,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan on June 27
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani Defense Industry Minister Yavar Jamalov dies
- 14.11.2017Baku State University’s 100th anniversary to be marked at state level
- 15.11.2017Deputy Minister reacts to US State Department advising its citizens not to undergo surgery in Azerbaijan
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Consulate General commemorates Holocaust in Los Angeles