Ministry: Burial site of Guba Genocide Memorial Complex undergoing erosion
The burial site of the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex is undergoing erosion, Aziz Garalov, head of a geological planning expedition of the National Geological Exploration Service of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources, told APA.
According to Garalov, the Complex sits on a terrace caused by the River Gudyalchay, north of Guba city.
“The slope on the right bank of the river has eroded into a terrace. The slope is not solid enough and is therefore undergoing erosion. The burial part has a roof cover and a wall made of plastic material. Due to season fluctuations in temperature, the soil keeps shrinking and expanding, which causes temperature cracks,” he said.
Garalov added that if this process lasts for a long time, the soil splits into pieces.
“A commission has already been appointed to tackle the problem. They will examine the area and try to come up with a resolution,” he said.
In recent days, due to natural processes, human bones remaining in the open air on the graveyard of the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex began to decompose, erosion and landslides on the territory became intensified.
According to the order, a commission was set up to study the current situation and prepare relevant proposals.
Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Public and Political Issues, Department Head Ali Hasanov was appointed chairman of the commission.
The members of the commission are Vide-President of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), Chairman of the parliamentary Committee of science and education Isa Habibbeyli, Director of the Institute of History of ANAS, MP Yagub Mahmudov, Chairman of the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli, First Deputy Minister of Culture and Tourism of Azerbaijan Vagif Aliyev, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources Firdovsi Aliyev, Azerbaijan's Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev, Deputy Head of the Department of Humanitarian Policy Issues of Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration Seymur Fataliyev, Head of Guba District Executive Power Yashar Mammadov and Head of Azerbaijan National NGO Forum Rauf Zeyni.
The commission is to present to the Presidential Administration within a month the results of the study and proposals on the forthcoming work.
Related news releases
- 18.11.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 1 police, injures another in Azerbaijan
- 18.11.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 18.11.2017Landslide activity observed in Baku’s Zigh settlement
- 17.11.2017Another quake hits Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017Private and municipal vocational education institutions to be established in Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017ANAS: Land plots, scientific facilities seized over last 5 years returned
- 16.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov meets Moldovan interior minister
- 16.11.2017U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan visits ABAD trade & exhibition center
- 16.11.2017APA celebrates 13th anniversary - PHOTOSESSION
- 16.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known in world as sporting nation
- 16.11.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly-built school in Masazir
- 16.11.2017ANAS: Yesterday’s quake in Azerbaijan had nothing to do with recent quake in Iran
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan establishes organizing committee for Baku BMX World Championships 2018
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 110th jubilee of academician Ashraf Huseynov
- 15.11.2017U.S. ambassador visits Salyan American Corner
- 15.11.2017Deloitte Azerbaijan introduces new publication - ®
- 15.11.2017Compulsory health insurance can be applied throughout Azerbaijan in 2018 – deputy minister
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 15.11.2017Deputy Minister reacts to US State Department advising its citizens not to undergo surgery in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Baku State University’s 100th anniversary to be marked at state level
- 14.11.2017London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Consulate General commemorates Holocaust in Los Angeles
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan International Environmental Exhibition kicks off
- 13.11.2017New staff of State Language Commission approved
- 13.11.2017Javid Gurbanov awarded title of “Honored Engineer”
- 13.11.2017Sports Palace to be built in Ganja city
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani delegation led by Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov attends Dubai Airshow 2017
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Talks on creation of production units in prisons bring no results
- 13.11.2017ANAS: Strong earthquake on Iran-Iraq border unlikely to affect Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Unsettled issues will be resolved in coming years
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of culture and recreation park named after Aziz Aliyev in Ganja
- 10.11.2017Newly-built dormitory of Azerbaijan State Agrarian University inaugurated
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views secondary school in Ganja after major overhaul
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Ganja Mall
- 10.11.2017ICRC visits about 1,300 women and children of 20 nationalities in Iraq
- 08.11.2017Manufacture of 6 new UAVs launched in ANAS High Tech Park
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan to use new mechanism for increase of pensions
- 09.06.2017UN: Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality
- 09.06.2017Accreditation of four universities approved in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Proposals on problem with Guba Genocide Memorial Complex to be presented to Azerbaijani president
- 08.06.2017Nobel laureate Aziz Sancar to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Project “EU Support to Vocational Education and Training in Azerbaijan” presented in Baku
- 07.06.2017‘Red notice’ to be issued for people who committed acts of corruption in ECO states