Ministry: Burial site of Guba Genocide Memorial Complex undergoing erosion
The burial site of the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex is undergoing erosion, Aziz Garalov, head of a geological planning expedition of the National Geological Exploration Service of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources, told APA.
According to Garalov, the Complex sits on a terrace caused by the River Gudyalchay, north of Guba city.
“The slope on the right bank of the river has eroded into a terrace. The slope is not solid enough and is therefore undergoing erosion. The burial part has a roof cover and a wall made of plastic material. Due to season fluctuations in temperature, the soil keeps shrinking and expanding, which causes temperature cracks,” he said.
Garalov added that if this process lasts for a long time, the soil splits into pieces.
“A commission has already been appointed to tackle the problem. They will examine the area and try to come up with a resolution,” he said.
In recent days, due to natural processes, human bones remaining in the open air on the graveyard of the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex began to decompose, erosion and landslides on the territory became intensified.
According to the order, a commission was set up to study the current situation and prepare relevant proposals.
Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Public and Political Issues, Department Head Ali Hasanov was appointed chairman of the commission.
The members of the commission are Vide-President of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), Chairman of the parliamentary Committee of science and education Isa Habibbeyli, Director of the Institute of History of ANAS, MP Yagub Mahmudov, Chairman of the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli, First Deputy Minister of Culture and Tourism of Azerbaijan Vagif Aliyev, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources Firdovsi Aliyev, Azerbaijan's Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev, Deputy Head of the Department of Humanitarian Policy Issues of Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration Seymur Fataliyev, Head of Guba District Executive Power Yashar Mammadov and Head of Azerbaijan National NGO Forum Rauf Zeyni.
The commission is to present to the Presidential Administration within a month the results of the study and proposals on the forthcoming work.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Those who were taking exam at university at the time of fire will retake exam
- 21.07.2017President: Investments to be made in pharmaceutical factories amount to $100 million
- 21.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Drinking water supply projects successfully implemented in Azerbaijan
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views plans of work to be done in center of Pirallahi
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards Avaz Alakbarov
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nearly 80 percent of Azerbaijani population is internet users
- 20.07.2017Alexander Lapshin sentenced to 3 years in prison
- 19.07.2017Article by TEAS director published on website of “Peace and Sport” organization
- 19.07.2017Delegation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority arrives in Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 4.5 years behind bars for APFP chairman’s assistant
- 19.07.2017UN report: 443,000 teens give birth in Eastern Europe and Central Asia every year
- 19.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 18.07.2017Opening of new TV channel proposed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017ANAMA: 300ha area cleared of mine, UXOs in Jojug Marjanli
- 17.07.2017Kamran Aliyev: In Azerbaijan more bribes offered than taken
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 19 criminal cases on banking sector
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation into criminal cases of 133 officials charged with corruption
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created in new park in Yasamal
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani President warns officials, businessmen against cutting down trees
- 15.07.2017Int’l dolma festival held in Azerbaijan’s Khachmaz
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly built park in Yasamal district
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry: 12,036 people wishing to marry diagnosed with thalassemia
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: Application for transfer of students to begin on July 17
- 14.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Names of journalists to be given apartments will be announced on July 21
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold entrance exams on II and III specialty groups
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on education
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan bans advertising of abortion and artificial fermentation
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani President: Some public servants misbehave and make blatant mistakes
- 12.07.2017Judicial investigation into Alexander Lapshin’s case concludes
- 12.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appoints new chairpersons to several courts of appeal
- 11.07.2017New chairpersons appointed to civil, military collegiums of Azerbaijani Supreme Court
- 11.07.2017APA photographers among best of Baku 2017
- 11.07.2017Lapshin’s trial postponed
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor’s Office receives submission on initiation of criminal case against former national security minister
- 10.07.2017Former MNS official stripped of his rank of colonel, jailed for 12 years
- 10.07.2017SEC announces date of new test exams for civil service recruitment
- 10.07.2017SEC: 11-grade final exam results roughly same as last year’s
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Cases of abuse reported in fixed-term employment
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC makes changes in test exams for civil service recruitment
- 09.06.2017UN: Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality
- 09.06.2017Accreditation of four universities approved in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Proposals on problem with Guba Genocide Memorial Complex to be presented to Azerbaijani president
- 08.06.2017Nobel laureate Aziz Sancar to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Project “EU Support to Vocational Education and Training in Azerbaijan” presented in Baku
- 07.06.2017‘Red notice’ to be issued for people who committed acts of corruption in ECO states