Scientific conference dedicated to centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Guba
A republican scientific conference dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis was held at the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex on March 31.
Prior to the conference, a photo exhibition “1918 March Genocide through the eyes of Belarus photographer Lev Dashkevich” and a book exhibition dedicated to Genocide of Azerbaijanis were launched.
Vice-President of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), academician Isa Habibbeyli delivered keynote remarks at the conference.
Then, a film titled “Guba Genocide” was displayed at the event.
Addressing the conference, the Azerbaijani President’s Assistant for Public and Political Affairs, Ali Hasanov, recalled that on 18 January 2018, President Ilham Aliyev signed an order on the centenary of the 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis.
“Under the order, head of the Presidential Administration approved a plan of events dedicated to the centenary of the Genocide of Azerbaijanis,” he said.
He emphasized that the preservation of the mass burial site unearthed in Guba in 2007 is always in the focus of the Azerbaijani president’s attention.
Hasanov said that a commission was set up under the president’s instruction in order to study the current situation at the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex and to prevent the erosion process there.
The top official went on to say that members of the commission inspected the burial site and viewed the work of the museum created there.
“The commission members considered it appropriate to bury the human remains in accordance with national and religious traditions, to install a memorial plaque and to create conditions for the conduct of excavation work for a possible historical study. All this was reported to the country’s president. Given the commission’s proposals, the remains of the genocide victims were buried, and a memorial plaque was installed,” he said.
“Although the Armenian nationalists, having committed numerous acts of genocide, aimed to shake the Azerbaijani people and to seize our lands by force, these grave tragedies made our people even stronger and mobilized our sons and daughters for a decisive and organized struggle for the sacred Motherland and our national statehood. An adequate response given by our army to the military provocations of Armenian armed units, the liberation of part of our occupied territories clearly demonstrated what Azerbaijan is capable of,” Hasanov stressed.
He noted that Azerbaijan joined the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide in 1996.
“This convention was adopted by the UN General Assembly on December 9, 1948. Although 70 years have passed since its adoption, genocide crimes still occur in many parts of the world. The main reasons are double standards prevailing in the world, failure of the international community, especially leading states to timely and adequately react to genocide crimes,” added Hasanov.
Later on, Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfas Garayev, Director of the Institute of History of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) Yagub Mahmudov, MP Yevda Abramov, Director of the ANAS Institute of Archeology and Ethnography Maisa Rahimova and other made their speeches at the event.
Prior to the conference, a march was held to commemorate to the centenary of the 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis.
Azerbaijani President's Assistant for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov, Chairman of the Caucasian Muslims Office, Sheikh-ul-Islam Haji Allahshukur Pashazade, Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfaz Garayev, MPs, academicians, religious figures, public figures from Guba and surrounding districts, representatives of various organizations from Baku and other regions joined the march.
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijan increases fines for pedestrians violating road crossing rules
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Code of Administrative Offenses
- 14.07.2018Minister: Serious violations in appointment of pensions reveal in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Weather forecast for July 15
- 14.07.2018Amendments to Azerbaijan’s migration legislation come into force
- 13.07.2018Number of Azerbaijani population has been announced
- 13.07.2018Sudeif Imamverdiyev awarded Sharaf Order
- 13.07.2018BHOS students to work and do internship at Petkim in Turkey
- 12.07.2018Temperature to drop in Baku
- 12.07.2018Baku Higher Oil School and Ministry of Labor and Social Protection hold joint presentation at BHOS
- 11.07.2018BHOS achieves 100 percent MBA student enrollment
- 10.07.2018Meteorologists warn of hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Scottish newspaper publishes names of BHOS graduates
- 09.07.2018UNEC offers second specialization free for students gaining 700 points
- 07.07.2018Head of Sumgayit water canal department fined for sewage water pumped into Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Temperature to drop, north-west wind to intensify in Baku
- 05.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal to produce graduates that meet global labor market needs
- 04.07.2018Temperature to drop by 4-6 degrees in Azerbaijan from July 5
- 04.07.2018Hot weather to stay in Absheron peninsula
- 04.07.2018Lunar eclipse to take place in July – ANAS
- 03.07.2018Meteorologists warn hot weather will continue across Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani roads affected by series of landslides, new landslide-prone areas emerge in several districts
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani border guards intercept 7 trespassers
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan to submit report on sustainable development to UN in 2019
- 02.07.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan to work towards goal of building a more socially oriented society by 2030
- 02.07.2018Weather temperature to reach 46C in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Int’l competition and nationwide championship of junior rescuers and firefighters end in Gabal
- 30.06.2018Hot weather to prevail in Baku in coming days
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president promotes two Interior Ministry officers
- 29.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Siyazan
- 29.06.2018July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan increases state duties for driving license issuance and car registration
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan extends registration period for foreigners
- 29.06.2018Post of chief probation officer created in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Education appointed
- 28.06.2018Baku Forum on Sustainable Development to be held in October
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijani president allocates funds for development of Baku’s master plan
- 27.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves new composition of Sate Oil Fund Supervisory Board
- 27.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 26.06.2018Weather forecast for June 27
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, State Security Service detain illegal migrants
- 03.04.2018KOICA Azerbaijan Office announces new country director appointment
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold another mock exam for university admission
- 31.03.2018March held in Guba to mark centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 30.03.2018Ministry: Amount of dust in air reaches norm in Baku
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament adopts statement on centenary of 1918 March Genocide against Azerbaijanis