Scientific conference dedicated to centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Guba
A republican scientific conference dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis was held at the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex on March 31.
Prior to the conference, a photo exhibition “1918 March Genocide through the eyes of Belarus photographer Lev Dashkevich” and a book exhibition dedicated to Genocide of Azerbaijanis were launched.
Vice-President of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), academician Isa Habibbeyli delivered keynote remarks at the conference.
Then, a film titled “Guba Genocide” was displayed at the event.
Addressing the conference, the Azerbaijani President’s Assistant for Public and Political Affairs, Ali Hasanov, recalled that on 18 January 2018, President Ilham Aliyev signed an order on the centenary of the 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis.
“Under the order, head of the Presidential Administration approved a plan of events dedicated to the centenary of the Genocide of Azerbaijanis,” he said.
He emphasized that the preservation of the mass burial site unearthed in Guba in 2007 is always in the focus of the Azerbaijani president’s attention.
Hasanov said that a commission was set up under the president’s instruction in order to study the current situation at the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex and to prevent the erosion process there.
The top official went on to say that members of the commission inspected the burial site and viewed the work of the museum created there.
“The commission members considered it appropriate to bury the human remains in accordance with national and religious traditions, to install a memorial plaque and to create conditions for the conduct of excavation work for a possible historical study. All this was reported to the country’s president. Given the commission’s proposals, the remains of the genocide victims were buried, and a memorial plaque was installed,” he said.
“Although the Armenian nationalists, having committed numerous acts of genocide, aimed to shake the Azerbaijani people and to seize our lands by force, these grave tragedies made our people even stronger and mobilized our sons and daughters for a decisive and organized struggle for the sacred Motherland and our national statehood. An adequate response given by our army to the military provocations of Armenian armed units, the liberation of part of our occupied territories clearly demonstrated what Azerbaijan is capable of,” Hasanov stressed.
He noted that Azerbaijan joined the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide in 1996.
“This convention was adopted by the UN General Assembly on December 9, 1948. Although 70 years have passed since its adoption, genocide crimes still occur in many parts of the world. The main reasons are double standards prevailing in the world, failure of the international community, especially leading states to timely and adequately react to genocide crimes,” added Hasanov.
Later on, Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfas Garayev, Director of the Institute of History of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) Yagub Mahmudov, MP Yevda Abramov, Director of the ANAS Institute of Archeology and Ethnography Maisa Rahimova and other made their speeches at the event.
Prior to the conference, a march was held to commemorate to the centenary of the 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis.
Azerbaijani President's Assistant for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov, Chairman of the Caucasian Muslims Office, Sheikh-ul-Islam Haji Allahshukur Pashazade, Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfaz Garayev, MPs, academicians, religious figures, public figures from Guba and surrounding districts, representatives of various organizations from Baku and other regions joined the march.
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining rules for organizing social workplaces
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining cases of involvement in forced labor
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan may create vacancy bank for unemployed
- 05.04.2018Number of Azerbaijani citizens imprisoned in Georgia revealed
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 04.04.2018Construction of houses in Bayil landslide zone prohibited, deputy PM says
- 04.04.2018Residents of six collapsed houses in Bayil landslide zone to receive compensation within 10 days
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijani gov’t plans to relocate 97 families from landslide zone in Baku
- 04.04.2018Deputy PM explains reason behind removal of flagpole in Baku Flag Square
- 04.04.2018Conference held in Baku over completion of EU-fund twinning project
- 03.04.2018Salaries of 150,000 school teachers doubled in Azerbaijan since 2014
- 30.03.2018Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 30.03.2018Wind expected to intensify in Azerbaijan
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold first mock exam for university admission
- 29.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for construction of Gazakh district central hospital
- 29.03.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th birth anniversary of academician Ahad Yagubov
- 29.03.2018Ministry: Amount of dust in air above norm in Baku - UPDATED - 1
- 29.03.2018Int’l scientific conference on centenary of 1918 March Genocide against Azerbaijanis kicks off in Baku
- 29.03.2018Admission to Azerbaijan Institute of Theology in 2018 depends on resolving issue of premises
- 29.03.2018No conflict between Azerbaijanis and Armenians living in Baku, says PA rep.
- 28.03.2018Russian embassy in Azerbaijan opens book of condolence for Kemerovo mall fire victims
- 27.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN6.1 million to Moral Values Promotion Fund
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, State Security Service detain illegal migrants
- 03.04.2018KOICA Azerbaijan Office announces new country director appointment
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold another mock exam for university admission
- 31.03.2018March held in Guba to mark centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 30.03.2018Ministry: Amount of dust in air reaches norm in Baku
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament adopts statement on centenary of 1918 March Genocide against Azerbaijanis