Tbilisi streets named after prominent Azerbaijanis: Many of these names exist on map only
Tbilisi’s new mayor, Kakha Kaladze, earlier announced that old street name boards will soon be replaced by new ones, noting that work in this regard is underway.
Considering there being a number of streets in Tbilisi named after renowned Azerbaijanis, this statement should sound like good news to Azerbaijani society.
APA’s correspondent in Georgia has learned, however, that the names of most of these streets can only be seen on map.
An ancient area in Tbilisi, called Abanotubani, has four streets carrying the names of Mirza Shafi Vazeh, Mirza Fatali Akhundov, Ibrahim Isfahanli and Nizami Ganjavi for more than two decades. The lives and works of these personalities, with the exception of the last one, were closely linked to Tbilisi.
Over the past eight years, large-scale demolition work has been carried out on Mirza Shafi Vazeh Street, with the old houses having been demolished and the boards showing the street’s name taken down.
Recently, the Tbilisi Mayor’s Office authorized an Israeli company to construct a hotel in the area. The construction, once completed, will give a new view to Mirza Shafi Vazeh Street. Let us hope that new boards will be placed showing who the street was named after.
Despite there being narrow streets carrying Akhundov’s name, these boards have rusted over the past 20 years, making the name hardly visible.
The most surprising thing is about the street named after Ibrahim Isfahanli, a well-known Azerbaijani actor and producer as well as Georgian people’s artist who is best known for his role as “Yarmammad” in the film “Boyuk Dayag”.
He was born in Tbilisi and played an exceptional role in the creation of the Azerbaijani theater in Georgia. According to the decision of the Georgia’s Culture Ministry, in 1997, Isfahanli’s name was given to the forth side of the Vakhtang Gorgasali Street in Tbilisi on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the actor. Although the preparation of a street name board was assigned to the Tbilisi Mayor’s Office, the street has been known by its previous name for 20 years. You can see old and relatively new boards with the name of Vakhtang Gorgasali on them.
Although there is a small street in Tbilisi named after Nizami Ganjavi, there is no appropriate board. Information about where this street is located can be seen only on the map of Tbilisi. During the conversation with the residents it becomes clear that they know this street as Nizami. According to them, boards with the name of the street were available on in Soviet times, but they were out of order after years.
In course of monitoring, a street in the Abanotubani district drew attention.
This is the street named after Mirhasan Vazirov, who was one of the 26 Baku commissars. He was born in the Azerbaijani city of Shusha. Monuments in honor of the 26 Baku commissars have long been dismantled in Azerbaijan’s capital, but you can still meet them in Tbilisi.
Ahmad Javad Street is located in Tbilisi’s Isani district. The street was named after famous Azerbaijani poet Ahmad Javad in 2011, when some of the unnamed streets of the city were named after translators of the poem of Shota Rustaveli “The knight in the tiger's skin”. Javad translated the famous poem of the classic of Georgian literature into Azerbaijani in 1930.
Although the name board of the street is relatively new, an error was made in the spelling of Javad’s last name in English. As seen in the photo, the poet’s last name is spelled as “Djavadan” in English. The poet’s first and last names are spelled correctly in Georgian. .
It is necessary to mention one more point in this article. Rashid Behbudov, a well-known Azerbaijani singer, People’s Artist of the USSR and Honored Art Worker of the Georgian SSR, was born in Georgia. Tbilisi residents often say that they are proud of being compatriots of Rashid Behbudov. The memory of unique singer Rashid Behbudov is not immortalized in the Georgian capital. For example, renaming the street named after M. Vazirov, one of the 26 Baku commissars, after Rashid Behbudov would be an example of great respect for the memory of the famous singer. The Azerbaijani community in Georgia and well-known Azerbaijani intellectuals in Tbilisi can take such an initiative.
Recall that in 2014 one of the streets in the 7th microdistrict of Gldani district of Tbilisi was named after Khudu Borchali, Georgia’s national hero of Azerbaijani origin.
Apparently, the situation around Tbilisi streets named after prominent Azerbaijanis is not heartwarming. Hopefully, according to the development strategy of the capital, during the preparation and installation of new street name boards in line with the development strategy of the capital, streets bearing the names of prominent Azerbaijanis will not be overlooked.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 1.3M to State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance
- 19.07.2018Foreigners can get work visas in Azerbaijan through ASAN Visa – Migration Service
- 19.07.2018North-west wind to intensify in Baku in coming days
- 19.07.2018Number of foreigners granted refugee status in Azerbaijan rises
- 19.07.2018Number of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan increases
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijan increases fines for pedestrians violating road crossing rules
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Code of Administrative Offenses
- 14.07.2018Minister: Serious violations in appointment of pensions reveal in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Weather forecast for July 15
- 14.07.2018Amendments to Azerbaijan’s migration legislation come into force
- 13.07.2018Number of Azerbaijani population has been announced
- 13.07.2018Sudeif Imamverdiyev awarded Sharaf Order
- 13.07.2018BHOS students to work and do internship at Petkim in Turkey
- 12.07.2018Temperature to drop in Baku
- 12.07.2018Baku Higher Oil School and Ministry of Labor and Social Protection hold joint presentation at BHOS
- 11.07.2018BHOS achieves 100 percent MBA student enrollment
- 10.07.2018Meteorologists warn of hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Scottish newspaper publishes names of BHOS graduates
- 09.07.2018UNEC offers second specialization free for students gaining 700 points
- 07.07.2018Head of Sumgayit water canal department fined for sewage water pumped into Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Temperature to drop, north-west wind to intensify in Baku
- 05.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal to produce graduates that meet global labor market needs
- 04.07.2018Temperature to drop by 4-6 degrees in Azerbaijan from July 5
- 04.07.2018Hot weather to stay in Absheron peninsula
- 04.07.2018Lunar eclipse to take place in July – ANAS
- 03.07.2018Meteorologists warn hot weather will continue across Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani roads affected by series of landslides, new landslide-prone areas emerge in several districts
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani border guards intercept 7 trespassers
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan to submit report on sustainable development to UN in 2019
- 02.07.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan to work towards goal of building a more socially oriented society by 2030
- 02.07.2018Weather temperature to reach 46C in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Int’l competition and nationwide championship of junior rescuers and firefighters end in Gabal
- 30.06.2018Hot weather to prevail in Baku in coming days
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president promotes two Interior Ministry officers
- 29.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Siyazan
- 29.06.2018July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan increases state duties for driving license issuance and car registration
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan extends registration period for foreigners
- 29.06.2018Post of chief probation officer created in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Education appointed
- 27.12.2017Street in Tbilisi named after prominent Azerbaijani Rashid Behbudov
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijan detains Indian citizens accused of aiding illegal migration
- 28.12.2017Relocation from Sovetsky to continue in January 2018
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security on holidays
- 26.12.2017Patriarch Kirill presents high order of Russian Orthodox Church to Mehriban Aliyeva
- 26.12.2017Ali Hasanov: 11,000 IDP families live in 117 buildings in disrepair in Baku - INTERVIEW