U.S. ambassador visits Guba district
On November 7, U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan Robert Cekuta visited Guba district.
The ambassador first viewed the progress of restoration of the Gumbazli Hamam, APA’s local bureau reported.
Cekuta said the Gumbazli Hamam is a unique historical monument and is being restored by the US embassy and local partners with the support of the Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation.
The uniqueness of the Gumbazli Hamam is partially in its underground architecture. The monument is one of the first examples of the use of baked red bricks. The project has been carried out since 2014 and is in the second stage of restoration work. The project is expected to be completed in March 2018.
The ambassador said that the project is implemented jointly with the Ministry of Culture and Tourism and the Guba District Executive Authority. According to him, Azerbaijan is a country rich in traditions, art and architecture.
“At the same time, Guba means a place where Muslims and Jews have been living together for a long time. We are glad that we are working together on restoration of the bathhouse belonging to the 18th century. I think that Guba residents will also be happy. It is also a great opportunity to preserve Azerbaijan’s rich history and culture,” Cekuta added.
As part of his visit to Guba, Cekuta also joined the opening of a carpeting enterprise where residents of the Alpan, Uzunmesha, Kurkun, and Susay villages will work. Representatives of USAID, the Ministry of Economy, Guba District Executive Authority and local municipality also attended the opening.
The implementation of the project, funded by USAID and the Azerbaijani government, was led by the East West Management Institute. The project will protect and revitalize the art of carpet weaving. Under the project, up to 30 women will be trained in these villages.
Ambassador Cekuta also met with the local Jewish community and visited Deshiva School, and a synagogue.
- 20.03.2018Spring comes to Azerbaijan
- 20.03.2018First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with wives of heads of diplomatic missions - PHOTOSESSION
- 20.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate Last Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presented tickets to world championships on judo and cycling
- 19.03.2018Baku hosts seminar on media’s role and duties in presidential elections
- 19.03.2018Weather forecast for March 20-24
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan declares vacations in schools from March 20 due to Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Ali bey Huseynzade’s daughter “Dostlug” Order
- 17.03.2018Monument to victims of genocide committed by Armenia erected in Guba
- 16.03.2018AZN 4mln allocated for construction of modular schools in four districts
- 16.03.2018South Caucasus’s most ancient jewelry item exhibited at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 16.03.2018State Migration Service employees granted high special ranks
- 16.03.2018State Committee: Turkish MP whose health suddenly deteriorated during Baku forum is in stable condition
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP suffers heart attack while speaking at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.03.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Salyan
- 15.03.2018Real TV starts satellite broadcasting
- 15.03.2018Nizami Ganjavi International Award presented to First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan fines Qatari national for illegal hunting
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces competition for 24 vacancies in 7 state bodies
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves composition of Youth Foundation’s Supervisory Board
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for purchase of apartments for Karabakh war disabled, families of martyrs
- 13.03.2018New executive director of Azerbaijan Youth Foundation appointed
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate Wind Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 12.03.2018Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Salyan
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for construction of carpet factory in Sabunchu
- 09.03.2018Real TV will start satellite broadcasting on March 12
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of State Security Service employees
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan defines new procedure for financing education abroad
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing salaries of employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijan to hold first stage of final exam for 9th graders on March 11
- 07.03.2018About 2,700 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgian universities
- 07.03.2018UNICEF: 12 million girls a year become child brides
- 06.03.2018Mexican ambassador visits Goychay
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on group of women
- 06.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of new building of sanatorium-type orphanage-kindergarten in Mashtagha settlement
- 06.03.2018UNICEF: Incidence of early marriages reduced to almost zero in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018UNICEF may assist in rehabilitation of Azerbaijani children in Iraq and Syria
- 07.11.2017Court reduces sentences of Vidadi Zeynalov and Beytulla Huseynov
- 08.11.2017Hadi Rajabli: Level of need criteria should be increased in Azerbaijan
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan to use new mechanism for increase of pensions
- 07.11.2017Corneal transplantation to be performed in Azerbaijan soon
- 06.11.2017Penalty against drivers for talk, requirement of permit for repair of damaged cars to be abrogated in Azerbaijan
- 06.11.2017Premarital examination: 92 diagnosed with AIDS in Azerbaijan