UN: Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality
The United Nations Office in Azerbaijan and the National Coordination Council on Sustainable Development co-organized a panel discussion on the theme "Sustainable Development Goals: Women and Development” on Friday, APA reported.
Azerbaijan’s Deputy Prime Minister Ali Ahmadov spoke about the work done in the area of gender equality.
Ghulam Isaczai, UN Resident Coordinator in Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality.
He noted that Azerbaijani women are more active in social areas.
“In many countries, women are represented in parliament and other state bodies. Unfortunately, there are still some countries where women face discrimination. In Azerbaijan, however, gender equality is developing and women are becoming more actively involved in social life. In 1918, Azerbaijan became the first country in the east to grant women suffrage,” the resident coordinator added.
Isaczai mentioned that Khadija, the first wife of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), was a successful businesswoman. “In this respect, there are many examples of Muslim women’s activity in public life,” he said.
He stressed that Azerbaijan has joined a number of conventions on gender equality.
“We see women are well represented in the country’s leadership. We must continue to work with Azerbaijan in this field. Sustainable Development Goals attaches special importance to gender equality. We need to make sure that the components of Sustainable Development Goals relating to gender equality are successfully implemented. If had disregarded women’s role in economic life, we would have stopped the country from developing,” Isaczai added.
Chairperson of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Family, Women and Children Affairs Hijran Huseynova said that if the proportion of women among entrepreneurs was 17% in Azerbaijan in 2012, this figure reached 21% in early 2017.
“The proportion of women in the Azerbaijani parliament is 188%. Deputy heads in 71 executive powers out of the 78 are female. Azerbaijan is consistently working to prevent trafficking of women and violence against children,” she said.
Huseynova stressed that the Azerbaijani government pays special attention to education of children and women.
“The main task is to increase activity in this regard. There are some shortcomings in women’s access to economic resources and information and we need to improve awareness in this field. A subject of gender equality is being taught at Baku State University and Khazar University. It would be appropriate to include the Sustainable Development Goals into the educational programs”, she added.
She said that in Azerbaijani there are no problems with gender equality from the point of view of the legislative base and traditions.
Deputy Minister of Economy Sevinj Hasanova and Director of the Center for Strategic Studies Gulshan Pashayeva spoke about the work done in Azerbaijan in the field of gender equality.
- 22.07.2017Those who were taking exam at university at the time of fire will retake exam
- 21.07.2017President: Investments to be made in pharmaceutical factories amount to $100 million
- 21.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Drinking water supply projects successfully implemented in Azerbaijan
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views plans of work to be done in center of Pirallahi
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards Avaz Alakbarov
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nearly 80 percent of Azerbaijani population is internet users
- 20.07.2017Alexander Lapshin sentenced to 3 years in prison
- 19.07.2017Article by TEAS director published on website of “Peace and Sport” organization
- 19.07.2017Delegation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority arrives in Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 4.5 years behind bars for APFP chairman’s assistant
- 19.07.2017UN report: 443,000 teens give birth in Eastern Europe and Central Asia every year
- 19.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 18.07.2017Opening of new TV channel proposed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017ANAMA: 300ha area cleared of mine, UXOs in Jojug Marjanli
- 17.07.2017Kamran Aliyev: In Azerbaijan more bribes offered than taken
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 19 criminal cases on banking sector
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation into criminal cases of 133 officials charged with corruption
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created in new park in Yasamal
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani President warns officials, businessmen against cutting down trees
- 15.07.2017Int’l dolma festival held in Azerbaijan’s Khachmaz
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly built park in Yasamal district
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry: 12,036 people wishing to marry diagnosed with thalassemia
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: Application for transfer of students to begin on July 17
- 14.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Names of journalists to be given apartments will be announced on July 21
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold entrance exams on II and III specialty groups
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on education
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan bans advertising of abortion and artificial fermentation
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani President: Some public servants misbehave and make blatant mistakes
- 12.07.2017Judicial investigation into Alexander Lapshin’s case concludes
- 12.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appoints new chairpersons to several courts of appeal
- 11.07.2017New chairpersons appointed to civil, military collegiums of Azerbaijani Supreme Court
- 11.07.2017APA photographers among best of Baku 2017
- 11.07.2017Lapshin’s trial postponed
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor’s Office receives submission on initiation of criminal case against former national security minister
- 10.07.2017Former MNS official stripped of his rank of colonel, jailed for 12 years
- 10.07.2017SEC announces date of new test exams for civil service recruitment
- 10.07.2017SEC: 11-grade final exam results roughly same as last year’s
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Cases of abuse reported in fixed-term employment
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC makes changes in test exams for civil service recruitment
- 09.06.2017Accreditation of four universities approved in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Proposals on problem with Guba Genocide Memorial Complex to be presented to Azerbaijani president
- 09.06.2017Florence Nightingale Hospital: Natig Aliyev died on June 8
- 08.06.2017Ministry: Burial site of Guba Genocide Memorial Complex undergoing erosion
- 08.06.2017Nobel laureate Aziz Sancar to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Project “EU Support to Vocational Education and Training in Azerbaijan” presented in Baku