Kazuo Ishiguro wins 2017 Nobel Prize for Literature
Kazuo Ishiguro, the British author of “The Remains of the Day”, has won the Nobel Prize for Literature, the Swedish Academy said on Thursday, honoring an “exquisite novelist” a year after giving it to singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, Reuters reported.
Born in Japan and raised in Britain, Ishiguro, 62, won the Man Booker Prize for the 1989 novel that was made into an Oscar-nominated movie starring Anthony Hopkins as a fastidious and repressed butler in postwar Britain.
”He is an exquisite novelist. I would say if you mix Jane Austin and Franz Kafka you get Ishiguro in a nutshell, Sara Danius, permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, told Reuters.
The award of the 9 million crown ($1.1 million) prize marks a return to a more mainstream interpretation of literature after it went to the American troubadour Dylan, a decision that critics said snubbed more deserving writers.
The Academy hailed Ishiguro’s ability to reveal “the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world ... in novels of great emotional force” that touch on memory, time and self-delusion.
Ishiguro takes his place beside Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Doris Lessing and Ernest Hemingway as winner of the world’s most prestigious literary award.
The prize is named after dynamite inventor Alfred Nobel and has been awarded since 1901 for achievements in science, literature and peace in accordance with his will.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Zahra Badalbeyli set to have her second book published
- 05.04.2018AzTC publishes book by Alimardan Bey Topchubashov
- 02.04.2018Movlud Suleymanli awarded Shohrat Order
- 14.03.2018Baku hosts int’l scientific conference as part of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates People’s Writer Anar on his jubilee
- 27.02.2018Book by Georgia’s ex-first lady Sandra Roelofs presented in Baku
- 20.02.2018Vatican copy of ‘Book of Dede Gorgud’ ready for publication
- 13.02.2018Daughter of Azerbaijan’s great playwright Jafar Jabbarli passes away
- 05.05.2017History of Britain and Ireland published in Azerbaijani
- 10.03.2017Book signed by famous Azerbaijani poet Mushfig’s spouse found in Crimea
- 16.01.2017Romania’s National Culture Day celebrated in Baku
- 17.11.2016TEAS Press represented at Istanbul Int’l Book Fair
- 03.11.2016TEAS Press Publishing House publishes Kazakh writer Olzhas Suleimenov's works in various languages
- 13.10.2016Bob Dylan wins Nobel Literature Prize
- 07.09.2016Odds on Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 revealed
- 13.05.2016Argentine ambassador to Azerbaijan visits Translation Centre
- 11.01.2016President Ilham Aliyev attends farewell ceremony for people’s poet Zalimkhan Yagub
- 16.09.20154th International Book Exhibition and Fair opens in Azerbaijan
- 05.05.2015Manuscripts by Nizami Ganjavi found in Egypt
- 28.01.2015Vagif Samadoglu to be buried in 1st Alley of Honor tomorrow
- 28.01.2015Azerbaijani people’s poet Vagif Samadoglu dies
- 09.10.2014Patrick Modiano wins 2014 Nobel Prize in literature
- 23.09.2014Azerbaijani writer Alaviyya Babayeva dies
- 10.09.2014Azerbaijan Writers’ Union presents "Aybkitab.az" website
- 20.06.2014Book titled “Shah Ismayil Sefevi. Collection of historical and diplomatic documents” presented - PHOTO
- 04.04.2014Literary giant Gabriel García Márquez hospitalized
- 01.04.2014Famous Azerbaijani writer Isa Huseynov passed away
- 11.03.2014Request made to nominate Azerbaijani writer Akram Aylisli for Nobel Peace Prize
- 03.02.2014Azerbaijani President signs order to mark 220th anniversary of Mirza Shafi Vazeh
- 16.01.2014Azerbaijani President issues order to mark 100th anniversary of people’s writer Ilyas Afandiyev
- 24.12.2013Events to be held on 220th anniversary of Mirza Shafi Vazeh
- 19.11.2013Nizami Ganjavi's 870th anniversary to be marked in Strasbourg
- 10.10.2013Canada's Alice Munro wins the Nobel Prize in Literature
- 01.10.2013Spokesman for Azerbaijan Writers' Union Adalet Asgaroghlu dies
- 27.09.2013Azerbaijani President issues order on marking Mammad Araz’s 80th jubilee
- 04.09.2013Ambassador: “Iran and Azerbaijan should come to an agreement on Nizami Ganjavi issue”
- 18.06.2013Institute of Manuscripts obtains copy of divan written by Safavid-era Azerbaijani poet kept in Cambridge University
- 11.04.2013“Stone Dreams” by Akram Aylisli published in Armenian
- 18.03.2013Russian PEN Center refuses to attend literature festival in Azerbaijan because of Akram Aylisli
- 04.03.2013100th jubilee of Nigar Rafibeyli to be marked
- 01.11.2017Book dedicated to Azerbaijani-Czech ties presented in Baku
- 10.11.2017Mirza Shafi Vazeh Museum inaugurated in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 16.01.2018European Azerbaijan School holds educational event for children
- 01.08.2017Georgia’s Parliamentary Library gifted ‘The Knight in the Tiger’s Skin’ novel in Azerbaijani
- 14.06.2017Anthology of Azerbaijan and Colombian poetry presented in Baku
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijani–UK poetry night organised in London - PHOTO