Synergy Baku`s Pozdnyakov defends leader`s jersey at Tour d'Azerbaidjan ahead of final
Kirill Pozdnyakov (Synergy Baku Cycling Project) has successfully defended the leader's jersey going into Sunday`s final stage at the Tour d'Azerbaidjan.
Edwin Avila (Team Illuminate) has won stage 4 of the Tour d'Azerbaidjan after an impressive breakaway effort, followed by a strong finishing sprint. Besides the stage victory, Avila also assumes the lead in the green Points' jersey competition ahead of tomorrow's final stage. In the GC battle, the queen stage was always under control for the Synergy Baku Cycling Project team, who successfully defended the blue leader's jersey of Kirill Pozdnyakov.
After yesterday's chaotic final which saw six crashes in total, the peloton of 115 riders took off in Gabala for the queen stage of the race from Gabala to Pirgulu. With a high pace and some climbs in the beginning of the race, the results of the crashes were visible with abandons in the first hour of the race.
After some attacks of smaller groups that never gained more than a few seconds on the peloton, with 65km to race a breakaway was formed by three riders: Jan Andrej Cully (Dukla Banska Bystrica), Manabu Ishibashi (Bridgestone Anchor) and initiator Simon Pellaud (Team Iluminate). The three worked well together, building a maximum gap of 4'45". In the chase behind the peloton broke in two and several riders were dropped as the pace increased when climbing the final climbs of the stage.
The final of the stage would decide the stage win and most probably the overall general classification, as riders tackled two final climbs - a 1st category and HC category to finish. The three leaders were eventually caught at the top of the first classified climb of the day by a group of chasers, with the first KOM points of the stage going to Ishibashi. After the descent, going into the final 30km, the four chasers - Ildar Arslanov (Gazprom-RusVelo), Alex Turrin (Wilier Triestina - Selle Italia), John Anderson Rodriguez Salazar (Delko Marseille Provence KTM) and Edwin Avila (Team Illuminate) - dropped the three leaders and built a lead of 1'35" on the reduced peloton.
Going into the final 20km and at the start of the final climb the four leaders had an advantage of 2'20" on GC leader Pozdnyakov. On the climb proper, the peloton started to splinter, and the four leaders were able to hold their gap to a select chase group that included Pozdnyakov. In the final sprint it was Avila who gave Team Illuminate a deserved win after the team's coordinated efforts and attacking display on the day.
Related news releases
- 02.12.2017Farid Gayibov elected as UEG president
- 17.09.2017Ganja Marathon-2017, organized at initiative of Heydar Aliyev Foundation kicks off - UPDATED
- 15.08.2015World Cup winner: I'm returning to Serbia with joy of win
- 14.08.2015Serbian athlete wins gold medal in World Cup competitions held in Gabala
- 12.08.2015Chinese athletes rank first with 7 medals in World Cup competitions
- 11.08.2015Chinese athletes won 3rd gold medal within World Cup competitions held in Gabala
- 10.08.2015Italian coach: ISSF World Cup in Gabala has been organized at the highest level
- 10.08.2015World Cup competitions of pistol shooting at three distances kick off in Gabala
- 24.02.2015Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijani President: "Winning the World Cup is a great event""
- 01.05.2014150 sportsmen from 22 countries to compete in IFSC Climbing World Cup
- 22.04.2014Baku to host IFSC Climbing World Cup
- 13.01.2014Vugar Hashimov to be buried in 3rd Alley of Honor
- 31.07.20139 Turkish athletes banned for banned drug use
- 29.07.2013Participants of international bicycle tour started from Belgium arrive in Azerbaijan
- 24.07.2013Decision passed to hold Islamic Solidarity Games 2017 in Baku - PHOTO
- 10.07.2013Azad Rahimov: “Wrestling can not be excluded from Olympic games”
- 10.07.2013Azerbaijani weightlifter becomes champion of Universiade - PHOTOSESSION
- 11.05.2013Azerbaijan to host World Rhythmic Gymnastics Championship 2019
- 19.04.2013Foundation stone for Water Sports Palace laid in Azerbaijan
- 30.08.2012Azerbaijani President issues order on construction of Palace of Water Sports in Baku
- 11.10.2011What did the World Boxing Championship in Baku make clear? – ANALYSIS
- 15.07.2011Azerbaijani President receives President of International Weightlifting Federation
- 09.03.2011Azerbaijani President meets with president of International Canoe Federation
- 23.02.2011British Embassy Azerbaijan will mark 500 days to until the London Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2012
- 11.02.2011President of Azerbaijan meets with head of International Skating Union
- 25.12.2010Mehriban Aliyeva re-elected president of Azerbaijan Gymnastics Federation
- 24.09.2010Athletes arrive for Games, but future in doubt
- 12.09.2010Klitschko defends boxing titles in rematch with Nigerian Nightmare
- 13.07.2010Azerbaijan to host World Boxing Championship next year
- 25.05.2010Azeri fencers claim 3 medals at international Baku tournament
- 21.05.2010Azerbaijani bodybuilder ranks fourth in European Championship
- 28.12.200960,000-seat stadium to be built in Azerbaijan’s capital
- 09.09.2009Azerbaijan’s flag raised in Armenia
- 04.09.2009Beijing Olympic gold medalist Elnur Mammadli appointed senior traffic patrol inspector
- 26.08.2009Ground-breaking ceremony of Gymnastics Complex takes place in Baku
- 21.08.2009New base under construction for Azerbaijani Air and Extreme Sports Federation near Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 21.08.2009Africa excursion of Azerbaijan Air and Extreme Sports Federation costs AZN 25,000
- 17.08.2009Azerbaijan Air and Extreme Sports Federation leaves for Uhuru peak, Africa
- 09.05.2009Climbing to Heydar Peak of the Great Caucasian Mountains starts
- 04.03.2009Azad Rahimov: “Coaches are unskilled”
- 09.05.2017Mehriban Aliyeva conferred with highest award of International Gym Federation
- 15.08.2017World champion Ramil Guliyev: "Azerbaijan is always in our heart"
- 18.08.2017Ramil Guliyev: “I raised the flags of two countries” – INTERVIEW
- 28.10.2016Azerbaijan to create National Anti-Doping Agency
- 12.05.2016Islamic Solidarity Games executives arrive in Baku
- 24.12.2015Azerbaijan’s first lady re-elected as president of Gymnastics Federation