Czech national hockey team's head coach Ruzicka resigns
Ruzicka rejected all corruption accusations in his statement and said he would defend himself against them.
All the suspicions concern the Slavia Praha club that Ruzicka coached from 2000 until the end of the past hockey season, when the club was relegated from the Elite League. Ruzicka together with his friend Jiri Moucek allegedly received money from parents of several players to enable their sons to continue playing for the club.
"With regard to the continuation of a media campaign that is against me started before the ice hockey championship that systematically and purposefully maintained, I have decided to resign as coach of the Czech national hockey team," said Ruzicka in a press release.
He said he has already informed the president of Czech Ice Hockey Association (CSLH) Thomas King.
The case of Ruzicka began in April, shortly before the Ice Hockey World Championship held in the Czech Republic, when Miroslav Palascak released a video from a hidden camera indicating that Ruzicka accepted a bribe of 500,000 crowns (about 2 million U.S.dollars) to enable his son to play for Slavia. Some other parents also provided testimonies claiming Ruzicka had asked them for money for their children's playing hockey.
Czech police has started investigating the scandal. CSLH said it would not sack Ruzicka as the coach of the national team because it respected the presumption of innocence. CSLH president convoked a special meeting of the association's executive committee to discuss the Ruzicka case on Tuesday.
Ruzicka said that he would like to stress that he had never done anything illegal or even criminal. He rejected all accusations and he would defend himself to reach his complete exoneration.
Ruzicka coached Czech national ice hockey team in 2004-2005, 2008-2010 and he returned to the team after the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014.
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018Basketball: Galatasaray claim EuroCup women's title
- 03.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev allocates $2 mln manats to Azerbaijan Volleyball Federation
- 03.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has decent place in world Olympic family - UPDATED
- 01.10.2017Azerbaijan finished fourth at women’s EuroVolley
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijan’s national volleyball team advances to European Championship semifinals
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan reaches quarterfinal of women’s EuroVolley after beating Germany 3-1
- 29.05.2017Bad Drive: Tiger Woods Arrested for DUI
- 09.05.2017Turkish sports club chief fined for slapping rival
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan simplifying visa procedure in connection with 2017 European Volleyball Championship
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku European Games held at level of Summer Olympics - UPDATED
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijan sets up organizing committee for holding Final Round of 2017 Women’s Eurovolley
- 08.06.2016Sharapova banned for two years by ITF
- 18.05.2013Federer, Nadal reached semis in Rome
- 21.12.2012Azerbaijani President inaugurates administrative building of “Azeryol” volleyball team, volleyball court and “Azeryol” hotel
- 25.10.2012Li Na defeated by Serena Williams at WTA Championships
- 05.04.2012Head coach of national volleyball team Faig Garayev undergoes surgery
- 06.01.2012Injured Federer, beaten Nadal out of Qatar Open
- 07.12.2011Zenit through to Champions League knockout stages after 0-0 draw in Porto
- 18.10.2011President Ilham Aliyev receives members of Rabita volleyball team - winners of club world championships
- 18.10.2011Azerbaijani President signs order to award “Rabite” volleyball club
- 02.04.2011Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and his spouse Mehriban Aliyeva watch Challenge Cup final in Baku
- 09.01.2011Federer downs Davydenko to claim Qatar title
- 03.11.2010Russia Among the Undefeated in World Volleyball
- 09.10.2010Why soccer should fear the NBA
- 14.09.2010Turkey’s Historic Success At 2010 World Basketball Championship
- 23.02.2010Igor Ponomarev awarded with honorary diploma of President of Republic of Azerbaijan
- 14.02.20102 members of “Neftchi” football team dead and other 2 injured in car accident
- 16.03.2009Player of Azerbaijani national volleyball team chosen best libero of Europe
- 27.11.2008Azerbaijani national team defeats Italy in world championship qualifying
- 11.11.2008Fazil Mammadov leaves for US to participate in presidential elections
- 11.11.2008European Volleyball Confederation announced Azerbaijani club’s defeat
- 15.09.2008Azerbaijan’s national team reaches final of European Championship
- 02.09.2008Azerbaijan beats Russia’s Uralochka
- 28.08.2008Russian referees assigned to Azerbaijan – Greece match
- 25.08.2008Yelena Shabovta appointed Turkish club manager - PHOTO
- 13.08.2008Azerbaijan ends first prep stage for European championship
- 08.08.2008Azeri referee assigned for Fenerbahche match in Champions League
- 07.08.2008US basketball player proposed to get Azeri citizenship
- 04.08.2008Valeriya Korotenko and Oksana Guliyeva back in Fenerbache
- 02.08.2008Azerbaijan beaten by Germany in European championship
- 08.03.2016Sharapova says she failed drug test; penalty unknown
- 12.03.2016Sharapova denies rumors she received five warnings meldonium was taboo
- 14.04.2016WADA makes meldonium U-turn, could affect Sharapova ban
- 07.06.2014Maria Sharapova wins French Open
- 03.09.2013Federer crashes out to Robredo in US Open stunner
- 28.05.2013Li, Sharapova and Nadal all reach second round at French Open