Boxing great Muhammad Ali near death in Arizona hospital: source
Baku-APA. Former world heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali was close to death in a Phoenix-area hospital on Friday, a source close to the family said, as speculation swirled about his health, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Ali, one of the best-known figures of the 20th century, was hospitalized this week for a respiratory ailment. Family spokesman Bob Gunnell has said that Ali, 74, was in fair condition, but media reports have said he was in rapidly failing health.
Asked about Ali's condition, the source said: "It's extraordinarily grave. It's a matter of hours."
The source, who had spoken with Ali's wife, Lonnie, added: "It could be more than a couple of hours, but it's not going to be much more. Funeral arrangements are already being made."
Gunnell did not respond to repeated requests for comment about Ali's condition.
Ali has suffered from Parkinson's disease for more than three decades and has kept a low profile in recent years.
The Radar Online website reported on Friday that Ali had been placed on life support, citing "an insider."
The Reuters source close to the family could not comment on that report.
Ali's last public appearance was in April at the "Celebrity Fight Night" gala in Arizona, a charity that benefits the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center.
At the height of his career, Ali was known for his dancing feet and quick fists and his ability, as he put it, to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
He held the heavyweight title a record three times, and Sports Illustrated named him the top sportsman of the 20th century.
Nicknamed "The Greatest," Ali retired from boxing in 1981 with a record of 56 wins, 37 by knockout, and five losses. Ali's diagnosis of Parkinson's came about three years after he left the ring.
Ali, born in Louisville, Kentucky, as Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr, changed his name in 1964 after his conversion to Islam.
Ali had a show-time personality that he melded with dazzling footwork and great hand speed. His bouts with such fighters as Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier and George Foreman made him an international celebrity like boxing had never seen.
He became a symbol for black liberation during the 1960s as he stood up to the U.S. government by refusing to go into the Army for religious reasons.
Ali made a surprise appearance at the Atlanta Olympic Games in 1996, stilling the Parkinson's tremors in his hands enough to light the Olympic flame.
He also took part in the opening ceremony of the London Olympics in 2012, looking frail in a wheelchair. He has been married four times and has nine children.
Ali's daughter Laila, a former boxer, tweeted a photo of her father kissing her own daughter, Sydney. She thanked supporters for their wishes for Ali, saying, "I feel your love and appreciate it!"
e irregular beating of the heart. Some patients experience no symptoms, while others feel dizziness or chest pain.
Related news releases
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan`s Heydarov wins world judo championship
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan becomes member of World Boxing Council
- 03.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives participants of 55th Convention of World Boxing Council
- 05.09.2017Mahammadrasul Majidov and Haji Aliyev to receive personal stipend of Azerbaijani President
- 03.09.2017Azerbaijan’s Majidov crowned world boxing champion for the third time
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijani wrestler becomes world champion
- 17.08.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov reappointed as World Taekwondo VP
- 06.05.2017Azerbaijani wrestlers won two more medals in European Championship
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijani MMA fighter wins the "Fights Night Global 59" tournament in Russia
- 11.03.2016Azerbaijani wrestler wins gold medal of 2016 European Wrestling Championships
- 23.02.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives members of national Greco-Roman wrestling team who won World Cup
- 20.02.2015Azerbaijan wins their first ever Greco-Roman World Cup
- 10.08.2014Presidents of Azerbaijan, Russia and Armenia attend international sambo tournament - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED
- 10.05.2014Azerbaijan and Armenia to compete in same group for 2014 Greco-Roman World Cup
- 19.04.2014“NKR” team not registered for wresting tournament in Georgia
- 05.04.2014Azerbaijani wrestler becomes European champion defeating Armenian
- 09.02.2014Baku Fires defeated Polish team Hussars Poland - PHOTOSESSION
- 07.11.2013Vitali Klitschko Gets Boxing Title Defense Ultimatum – Report
- 06.10.2013Klitschko Crushes Povetkin to Defend World Titles
- 25.11.2012Boxer Hector Camacho dies after life support is turned off
- 21.11.2012Azerbaijani sportsmen wins international tournament in Russia
- 30.09.2012Russia’s Povetkin Retains WBA Title With Knockout
- 19.04.2012Next Azerbaijani boxers gets license to London Olympics
- 04.04.2012President of Azerbaijan Taekwondo Federation Kemaleddin Heydarov attends WTF Executive Committee meeting
- 12.03.2012Central Sports Army Club member won European Wrestling Championship
- 19.02.2012Klitschko Defeats Chisora, Defends WBC Belt
- 28.01.201223 Azerbaijani judoists take part in World Cup Tournament
- 08.07.2011Azerbaijani President receives President of International Wrestling Federation
- 31.01.2011Kemaleddin Heydarov: “We purpose to win license for London Olympic Games in all categories”
- 31.01.2011Kemaleddin Heydarov: “Azerbaijan has hosted many prestigious competitions in recent years”
- 31.01.2011AIBA and Azerbaijan Boxing Federation sign agreement- PHOTOSESSION
- 18.01.2011All eyes on Nadal as he chases four in a row
- 18.01.2011Federer fireworks warm up Melbourne Park
- 10.12.2010Heavyweight boxing champion Klitschko cancels title defense
- 16.11.2010Haye: I will fight Klitschko before I quit
- 17.10.2010Vitali Klitschko defends title by defeating U.S. challenger
- 12.09.2010Khetag Gazyumov becomes world champion
- 07.09.2010Azerbaijanii wrestler claims World Crown
- 30.05.2010Vitali Klitschko defends WBC heavyweight title
- 21.05.2010Azerbaijani weightlifter claims European Crown
- 11.11.2016Azerbaijani judoka became the European champion
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijan Taekwondo Federation named ‘Association of the Year’
- 18.01.2017Baku schoolboy defeats Armenian peer by 10 points to nil
- 21.05.2016Azerbaijani taekwondo fighter wins silver at European championship
- 16.04.2016Azerbaijani athelete defeats Armenian wrestler, wins license for Rio 2016
- 16.04.2016Azerbaijani boxer wins gold medal