Azerbaijani president: No sports success possible without children’s sports
It is impossible to talk about sports success without children's and youth’s sports, said President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev.
He made the remarks at a ceremony dedicated to sports results of 2017 at the Azerbaijan National Olympic Committee (NOC) on Dec. 18, APA reported.
"I’m glad that our young athletes also give us joy with their victories. It is impossible to talk about sports success without children’s and youth’s sports. The younger generation also grow, participate in competitions, gain victories, and consequently our sports successes continue. If we look at the results of all summer Olympic Games we've participated in, every time we have won a larger number of medals. That is due to the preparation of athletes and involvement of young people and teenagers,” the president.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan ranked 14th worldwide in terms of the number of medals at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
“This is a historic victory. It was impossible to imagine this victory a few years ago. We gained this victory only in 25 years. That is, we won such a great victory at the Rio Olympics, which coincided with the celebration of the 25th anniversary of our independence,” he said.
The Azerbaijani people once again proved to the whole world that sports in Azerbaijan are at a high level, stressed President Aliyev.
“If you look at sports results, we can see that in most cases sports are rapidly developing only in developed countries because of a great deal of money invested. Hence the development of sports is important in terms of our development in general terms,” he added.
The head of state pointed out that Azerbaijan has followed a successful path of development in every direction in recent years.
According to the president, Azerbaijan’s strong economic opportunities, its strengthening position in the international arena and the recognition of Azerbaijan worldwide as a respected country certainly create conditions for common successes.
“Sports are an integral part of society. I’d like to note that most of our athletes, especially famous ones, in their everyday life, are an example for young people. The victories of our athletes inspire children, teenagers and young people. They also want to be famous champions, achieve great successes, raise the flag of their country, and want the people to know and respect them,” he added.
President Aliyev recalled that the 25th anniversary of the Azerbaijan National Olympic Committee was marked this year.
“The Azerbaijani state will continue to take care of athletes, and we will do our utmost to develop the sports in the country. I wish our athletes new victories, successes,” he said.
At the end of his speech, the head of state congratulated all the athletes present at the ceremony on the occasion of the forthcoming New Year and the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2018The Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2018 starts
- 28.02.2018Russia's Olympic ban lifted following doping violations
- 12.12.2017ROC’s Assembly stands for Russian athletes’ participation in Winter Olympics
- 10.12.2017OCR head hopes Russian athletes’ Olympic kits to feature national details
- 06.12.2017IOC president denies political reasons behind decision to bar Russia from 2018 Games
- 06.12.2017Russian athletes may carry national flag at 2018 Olympics closing if IOC demands met
- 05.12.2017Russia banned from 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Absheron Olympic Sport Complex - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Sports has turned into important social factor in Azerbaijan
- 29.09.2017President: Holding int’l competitions in Azerbaijan has become a tradition
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Funds allocated for sports development in Azerbaijan yielding results
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev presented with highest award of Int’l Judo Federation - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receive representatives of international sports organizations
- 05.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves additional funding for construction of Olympic Sports Complex in Lankaran
- 13.06.2017Ramil Gasimov honored with special Olympic stipend of Azerbaijani President
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan can bid to host Summer Olympics 2028
- 03.05.2017Tour d'Azerbaidjan bicycle race starts, traffic in five directions to be restricted temporarily
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan: visa-free entry for Islamic Games participants and journalists
- 06.04.2017Rivals of Azerbaijan national teams at the IV Islamic solidarity games determined
- 31.03.2017Azerbaijan lifts visa requirement for persons involved in organizing 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 14.03.2017Prosecutors to deal with any reported suspicion of manipulation in sports competitions
- 24.01.2017Ecclestone replaced as Formula One boss: report
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always takes principled position on any matter
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku 2015 – another indication of development of Azerbaijani sports
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known as sports country worldwide
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2016 - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016IOC extends doping-related sanctions against Russia
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev re-elected president of National Olympic Committee
- 01.12.2016FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash
- 24.11.2016128 Nigerian policemen killed in 3 months
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has rich experience in organizing int’l events - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016Kenyan Olympic official arrested over theft of Rio kits
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan had opportunity to bid for Olympic Games
- 21.10.2016Minsk set to host 2019 European Games
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani athletes face unfair decisions in some competitions
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev meets with Azerbaijani Paralympians
- 21.09.2016From Baku to Rio with the love of medal
- 18.09.2016Rio 2016: China claim 4x100m medley 34 points gold-
- 18.09.2016Iranian Para-cyclist dies following crash in Rio Paralympics 2016
- 18.09.2016Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal Paralympic Games in Rio
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to development of sports in Azerbaijan
- 23.12.2017Olympic Committee bans 11 Russian athletes for life
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan's First VP Mehriban Aliyeva announced Sports Organizer of Year
- 18.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is a strong sporting nation
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Azerbaijani athletes who achieved high results in 2017
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2017