Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is a strong sporting nation
Azerbaijan is a strong sporting nation, President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev said addressing a ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2017 at Azerbaijan National Olympic Committee (NOC) on Dec. 18, APA reported.
“This year Azerbaijani athletes delighted our people with great victories. Sports are rapidly developing in Azerbaijan. Every year our athletes achieve high results at various international competitions, returning to the country with medals,” said the president.
He noted that the number of medals won by Azerbaijani athletes is also more than enough this year.
“Azerbaijani athletes won 851 medals, including 347 gold medals at all international competitions this year. Compared to last year, the number of medals is higher. This shows that sports are dynamically developing and our athletes are making successive achievements,” said President Aliyev.
Azerbaijan achieved many sports victories this year, said the head of state.
“I would like to mention some of them today. This year our chess players became three-time European champions. This is a great victory, a great result. This result shows that our athletes are at the highest level in combat, team and intellectual sports. Becoming the European chess champions is a great achievement, a great victory indeed,” he said.
“This year, our two athletes - Mammadrasul Majidov and Haji Aliyev - became three-time world champions in boxing and freestyle wrestling respectively. This is a historic victory. Becoming a three-time world champion in Olympic sports is a great success, a great victory,” added President Aliyev.
He noted that another Azerbaijani athlete, Ramil Guliyev, became the world champion in athletics this year, and added that this is also a historic victory.
The president also pointed to the excellent results of Azerbaijani athletes in team sports.
Azerbaijan’s women volleyball team won the fourth place at the 2017 CEV Volleyball European Championship held in Baku, said Ilham Aliyev.
“Our women’s volleyball team was close to winning the gold medal. They were close to the victory in the semifinal. But I think it is still a great achievement to take the fourth place in a very popular sport like volleyball in Europe,” he added.
The president also highlighted the success of Qarabag FC in the UEFA Champions League this year.
“This year our footballers – Qarabag FC – for the first time qualified for the group stage of the UEFA Champions League. This is a great victory for Azerbaijani football. This team decently represented our country, our people and Karabakh,” he said.
“I remember some people saying we would not need a big venue like the Olympic Stadium when the construction was underway. They said we have the 30,000-seat stadium named after Tofig Bahramov and other stadiums, so this arena would never be full. Today, however, it turns out that more than 60,000 spectators came to the matches of Qarabag FC.”
The Baku Olympic Stadium is one of the world’s best stadiums, said President Aliyev, adding. “It is no coincidence that this stadium will host the UEFA Europa League final in a few years. At the same time, several matches of UEFA Euro 2020 will take place in this stadium.”
The head of state also spoke about Farid Gayibov’s election as the Secretary General of European Union of Gymnastics (UEG).
"This year, representative of the Azerbaijani Gymnastics Federation Farid Gayibov was elected the Secretary General of European Union of Gymnastics, which is a historic result because, so far, Azerbaijan's representative has not led a European sports federation. This is a manifestation of the development of gymnastics, in general, of the sports in Azerbaijan in recent years," the president said.
President Aliyev noted that many international competitions held in the country have already introduced Azerbaijan to the whole world community as a dynamic, modern, powerful state, and as a result, country's representatives now hold high positions in the European sports family.
“Of course, this year’s biggest victory was victories of Azerbaijani athletes at the Islamic Solidarity Games, held in Baku. The Games were a big festivity of sports, friendship and brotherhood,” noted the president. “Azerbaijan received the leading athletes from all Muslim countries, and I am sure they returned to their homelands with the best impressions. The Games held here once again demonstrated Azerbaijan’s power, and showed that Azerbaijan is a great sports nation on the global scale.”
Azerbaijan's squad ranked second at the 2015 European Games and first at the 2017 Islamic Solidarity Games, added the head of state.
More than 3,000 athletes, thousands of experts and guests participated in these games and got acquainted with the realities of Azerbaijan, said President Aliyev.
“I have just brought to your attention some important sports events, but there were many victories,” said the president.
“The events and victories I’ve just mentioned give ground to say that Azerbaijan is a really strong sporting nation. I’m confident that our athletes will continue to make us happy with their victories,” he added.
The president said the Azerbaijani state pays great attention to the development of sports, and a state policy is being carried out in this direction.
Sports facilities in Baku met the world’s highest standards, noted the head of state.
“The construction of Olympic sports centers is underway in all districts. Two beautiful Olympic sports centers were built in Absheron and Aghjabadi districts this year. The state budget for 2018 envisages the construction of three more sports centers in districts,” he added.
So far, 43 Olympic sports centers have been built in Azerbaijan’s districts, mentioned President Aliyev.
“These centers open up great opportunities for young people, athletes and residents of districts. Certainly, work in this direction will be continued,” said the president concluding his speech.
Related news releases
- 28.02.2018Russia's Olympic ban lifted following doping violations
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan's First VP Mehriban Aliyeva announced Sports Organizer of Year
- 10.12.2017OCR head hopes Russian athletes’ Olympic kits to feature national details
- 06.12.2017IOC president denies political reasons behind decision to bar Russia from 2018 Games
- 06.12.2017Russian athletes may carry national flag at 2018 Olympics closing if IOC demands met
- 05.12.2017Russia banned from 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Absheron Olympic Sport Complex - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Sports has turned into important social factor in Azerbaijan
- 29.09.2017President: Holding int’l competitions in Azerbaijan has become a tradition
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Funds allocated for sports development in Azerbaijan yielding results
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev presented with highest award of Int’l Judo Federation - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receive representatives of international sports organizations
- 05.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves additional funding for construction of Olympic Sports Complex in Lankaran
- 13.06.2017Ramil Gasimov honored with special Olympic stipend of Azerbaijani President
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan can bid to host Summer Olympics 2028
- 03.05.2017Tour d'Azerbaidjan bicycle race starts, traffic in five directions to be restricted temporarily
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan: visa-free entry for Islamic Games participants and journalists
- 06.04.2017Rivals of Azerbaijan national teams at the IV Islamic solidarity games determined
- 31.03.2017Azerbaijan lifts visa requirement for persons involved in organizing 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 14.03.2017Prosecutors to deal with any reported suspicion of manipulation in sports competitions
- 24.01.2017Ecclestone replaced as Formula One boss: report
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always takes principled position on any matter
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku 2015 – another indication of development of Azerbaijani sports
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known as sports country worldwide
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2016 - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016IOC extends doping-related sanctions against Russia
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev re-elected president of National Olympic Committee
- 01.12.2016FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash
- 24.11.2016128 Nigerian policemen killed in 3 months
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has rich experience in organizing int’l events - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016Kenyan Olympic official arrested over theft of Rio kits
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan had opportunity to bid for Olympic Games
- 21.10.2016Minsk set to host 2019 European Games
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani athletes face unfair decisions in some competitions
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev meets with Azerbaijani Paralympians
- 21.09.2016From Baku to Rio with the love of medal
- 18.09.2016Rio 2016: China claim 4x100m medley 34 points gold-
- 18.09.2016Iranian Para-cyclist dies following crash in Rio Paralympics 2016
- 18.09.2016Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal Paralympic Games in Rio
- 15.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal of the Paralympic Games
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijani president: No sports success possible without children’s sports
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to development of sports in Azerbaijan
- 23.12.2017Olympic Committee bans 11 Russian athletes for life
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Azerbaijani athletes who achieved high results in 2017
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2017
- 12.12.2017ROC’s Assembly stands for Russian athletes’ participation in Winter Olympics