Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
The brother and agent of 2005 Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldinho announced Tuesday that the former Brazil and Barcelona playmaker has retired from football, APA reports quoting the USAToday.
Roberto Assis made the announcement to Brazilian media on behalf of the 37-year-old midfielder, who played his last professional match in 2015 for Brazil's Fluminense.
"Ronnie's professional career is over. He wants to be a football ambassador, do charity, and work with his friends in music from now on," Assis told The Associated Press.
Assis hopes to schedule some farewell matches for Ronaldinho after the World Cup in Russia, which ends July 15. The initial plan is to play games in Brazil, Europe and Asia and to also get Brazil's national team involved, Assis said.
Last July, Ronaldinho said on the sidelines of a friendly in Chechnya that was he was "too old" to return to action.
The Brazilian's decorated career also includes one World Cup title (2002), one Champions League victory (2006) and two Spanish league titles with Barcelona, and two FIFA world player of the year awards (2004 and 2005).
Ronaldinho started his professional career at Gremio in southern Brazil in 1998. He left for Paris Saint-Germain in 2001 and was signed by Barcelona two seasons later.
At the Camp Nou, he was the engine of a team that took Barca back to the limelight. However, after a series of club trophies, Ronaldinho's career took a downturn. He was often accused by Brazilian and Spanish media of lacking professionalism, despite his mentoring of a then youthful Lionel Messi.
In 2008, with Messi then leading Barcelona, Ronaldinho left for AC Milan. Despite being part of a team that won Serie A in 2011, he failed to reach his previous heights as a player.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Galatasaray becomes champion in Turkish Super League
- 19.05.2018Gianluigi Buffon: Juventus career ends with win over Verona
- 11.05.2018Akhisarspor claim Ziraat Turkish Cup for first time
- 07.05.2018Organizing committee set up for holding of UEFA Europa League final in Baku
- 04.05.2018Referee cancels Fenerbahce-Besiktas derby
- 03.05.2018Liverpool advances to final knocking Roma out of Champions League
- 02.05.2018Real beat Bayern to reach third final in row
- 27.04.2018Besiktas refuse to take field on May 3
- 19.04.2018Football: Akhisarspor oust Galatasaray, reach cup final
- 19.04.2018Finalists of Azerbaijan Cup on football determined
- 12.04.2018Bayern Munich advanced CL semifinal with scoreless draw
- 12.04.2018Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus
- 11.04.2018Liverpool knocks City out of Champions League
- 11.04.2018Barcelona dumped out of Champions League after stunning Roma turnaround
- 04.04.2018Real Madrid defeats Juventus in the Champions League quarter-final first leg
- 23.03.2018Serbia expelled from handball event for cancelling Kosovo match
- 17.03.2018Fenerbahce, Galatasaray goalless in Istanbul derby
- 15.03.2018Bayern Munich knocks Besiktas out of Champions League
- 10.03.2018FIFA imposes transfer ban on Turkey's Trabzonspor
- 07.03.2018Ronaldo scores again as Champions League holders Real Madrid beat PSG
- 04.03.2018Neymar undergoes successful foot surgery
- 04.03.2018Video assistant referees set to be used at 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 04.03.2018Galatasaray crush bottom-placed Karabukspor 7-0
- 28.02.2018Galatasaray grab 2-1 away lead in Turkish Cup
- 23.02.2018A police officer has died following clashes between Athletic Bilbao and Spartak Moscow fans
- 21.02.2018Champions League: Bayern dominates Besiktas in 5-0 rout
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 31.01.2018Football: Arsenal sign Aubameyang for record fee
- 07.02.2018Besiktas first semi-finalist of Turkish Cup
- 09.02.2018FIFA World Cup Trophy presented to President Ilham Aliyev
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks