Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
The brother and agent of 2005 Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldinho announced Tuesday that the former Brazil and Barcelona playmaker has retired from football, APA reports quoting the USAToday.
Roberto Assis made the announcement to Brazilian media on behalf of the 37-year-old midfielder, who played his last professional match in 2015 for Brazil's Fluminense.
"Ronnie's professional career is over. He wants to be a football ambassador, do charity, and work with his friends in music from now on," Assis told The Associated Press.
Assis hopes to schedule some farewell matches for Ronaldinho after the World Cup in Russia, which ends July 15. The initial plan is to play games in Brazil, Europe and Asia and to also get Brazil's national team involved, Assis said.
Last July, Ronaldinho said on the sidelines of a friendly in Chechnya that was he was "too old" to return to action.
The Brazilian's decorated career also includes one World Cup title (2002), one Champions League victory (2006) and two Spanish league titles with Barcelona, and two FIFA world player of the year awards (2004 and 2005).
Ronaldinho started his professional career at Gremio in southern Brazil in 1998. He left for Paris Saint-Germain in 2001 and was signed by Barcelona two seasons later.
At the Camp Nou, he was the engine of a team that took Barca back to the limelight. However, after a series of club trophies, Ronaldinho's career took a downturn. He was often accused by Brazilian and Spanish media of lacking professionalism, despite his mentoring of a then youthful Lionel Messi.
In 2008, with Messi then leading Barcelona, Ronaldinho left for AC Milan. Despite being part of a team that won Serie A in 2011, he failed to reach his previous heights as a player.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Champions League: Bayern dominates Besiktas in 5-0 rout
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 10.11.2017Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 24.10.2017Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for second year running
- 24.10.2017Fifa Best Awards: Olivier Giroud wins the Puskas Award for stunning scorpion kick
- 18.10.2017Qarabag gets first UEFA Champions League Group point
- 07.10.2017Football: Iceland crush Turkey's 2018 World Cup dreams
- 06.10.2017Bayern Munich confirm Jupp Heynckes return for fourth spell as head coach
- 01.10.2017Galatasaray win thanks to last-minute goal
- 27.09.2017Champions League: Qarabag 1 – 2 Roma
- 24.09.2017Fenerbahce beat Besiktas in eventful Istanbul derby
- 22.09.2017Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar lead FIFA best player shortlist
- 21.09.2017Date of the European League final in Baku determined
- 20.09.2017Alexis Sanchez Ignores Real and Chooses Man City
- 14.09.2017UK minister wishes FC Qarabag to win Chelsea with score of 7:0
- 13.09.2017PSG’s devastating trident destroy Celtic
- 13.09.2017Lionel Messi magic leads Barcelona to Juventus win
- 13.09.2017Champions League: Chelsea defeats Qarabag
- 06.09.2017Turkey beat Croatia in critical World Cup qualifier
- 04.09.2017Azerbaijan beats San Marino 5-1 in World Cup qualifier
- 31.01.2018Football: Arsenal sign Aubameyang for record fee
- 07.02.2018Besiktas first semi-finalist of Turkish Cup
- 09.02.2018FIFA World Cup Trophy presented to President Ilham Aliyev
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks