FIFA warmly accepts Russia’s report on preparations for 2017, 2018 Cups
The world’s governing football body, FIFA, has warmly accepted Russia’s report on the country’s organization to host the 2017 Confederations Cup and the 2018 World Cup, a senior Russian football official told TASS on Thursday, APA reports quoting TASS.
Director General of Russia-2018 Local Organizing Committee (LOC) Alexei Sorokin delivered a report on Thursday at the 67th FIFA Congress in Bahrain’s Manama regarding the current state of Russia’s preparedness for hosting the global two most important football events.
"We delivered a presentation regarding Russia’s preparations for the Confederations Cup and the World Cup," Sorokin said in an interview with TASS. "We played a short film about Russia. The atmosphere (among the audience) was warm enough."
"There were many issues for discussions and they were all of a work-type nature," the official said. "Both, the Confederations Cup and the World Cup keep assuming the final shape."
Russia is currently in full-swing preparations for the global football tournaments after the country clinched the bid, following the final vote held in Guatemala on December 4, 2010 at the FIFA Congress. The victory came following a tight race against the bids from England, Portugal and Spain, in addition to a joint bid on behalf of Belgium and the Netherlands.
The country selected 11 host cities to be the venues for the matches of the 2018 World Cupand they are Moscow, St. Petersburg, Sochi, Kazan, Saransk, Kaliningrad, Volgograd, Rostov-on-Don, Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg and Samara.
The matches of the 2018 World Cup will be held between June 14 and July 15 at 12 stadiums located in the 11 above-mentioned cities across Russia. Two of the stadiums are located in the Russian capital of Moscow.
The FIFA Confederations Cup, which is also viewed by experts as a rehearsal a year prior to the FIFA World Cup, will be held between June 17 and July 2 at four stadiums in Russia and they are Spartak Stadium in Moscow, St. Petersburg Stadium, Fisht Stadium in Sochi and Kazan Arena in Kazan.
Participants in the 2017 Confederations Cup are hosts Russia, 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions Germany, 2015 Copa America Champions Chile, 2015 AFC Asian Cup Champion Australia, 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup winners Mexico, 2016 UEFA Euro Cup champs Portugal, OFC (Oceania Football Confederation) Nations Cup victors New Zealand and 2017 CAF Africa Cup of Nations Champion Cameroon.
The Draw for the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup was held on November 26, 2016 in the Russian city of Kazan. Following the event, hosts Russia was placed in Group A alongside with Portugal, Mexico and New Zealand. Group B has brought together Germany, Chile, Australia and Cameroon.
The opening game will be held in St. Petersburg on June 17 between Russia and New Zealand. Russia will face Portugal in Moscow on June 21 and on June 24 it will play Mexico in Kazan.
Related news releases
- 15.07.2018FIFA World Cup organization in Russia was successful - committee
- 14.07.2018Belgium takes third place in World Cup after beating England 2-0
- 13.07.2018FIFA officially declares 2018 World Cup in Russia doping-free
- 12.07.2018Croatia advance to World Cup final for first time
- 10.07.2018WORLD CUP 2018: France qualifies to final after beating Belgium 1-0
- 10.07.2018Real Madrid announce they have agreed to sell football star Cristiano Ronaldo to Italy's Juventus
- 09.07.2018Cuneyt Cakir to referee England-Croatia World Cup semis
- 08.07.2018WORLD CUP 2018:Choratia advance to semifinals after beating Russia
- 07.07.2018WORLD CUP 2018: England advance to semifinals after beating Sweden 2-0
- 06.07.2018Gianluigi Buffon: Paris St-Germain complete signing of Juventus legend
- 06.07.2018World Cup: France beat Uruguay 2-0, advance to semis
- 04.07.2018FIFA World Cup: England advance to quarterfinals after beating Colombia in penalty shootout
- 03.07.2018World Cup: Belgium beats Japan 3-2 in last breath
- 02.07.2018World Cup: Brazil defeat Mexico 2-0, advance to last 8
- 01.07.2018FIFA World Cup: Uruguay advance to quarter finals after eliminating Portugal 2-1
- 30.06.2018FIFA World Cup: France eliminates Argentina 4-3, advances to quarter finals
- 28.06.2018FIFA World Cup: Colombia, Japan advance to Round 16
- 27.06.2018World Cup: Holders Germany knocked out after 2-0 defeat
- 26.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina beat Nigeria 2-1 to reach round of 16
- 24.06.2018FIFA fines Argentina, Croatia federations for fans’ conduct in Nizhny Novgorod
- 23.06.2018World Cup 2018: Toni Kross brings hard-fought victory for Germany against Sweden 2-1
- 23.06.2018WORLD CUP 2018: Mexico triumphs 2-1 in match against S. Korea
- 23.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Switzerland Defeats Serbia 2-1
- 22.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Musa earns Nigeria win over Iceland
- 22.06.2018Croatia stun Argentina with 3-0 win
- 21.06.2018World Cup: France qualifies for knockout stage
- 20.06.2018Spain scores against Iran in FIFA WC match: 1-0
- 20.06.2018Uruguay beat Saudi Arabia 1-0, Russia and Uruguay reach FIFA knockout stage
- 20.06.2018World Cup: Russia beat Egypt 3-1 in Group A
- 19.06.2018World Cup: Senegal downs Poland 2-1 in Group H
- 19.06.2018World Cup: Kane gives England 2-1 win over Tunisia
- 17.06.2018FIFA World Cup: Croatia defeat Nigeria 2-0
- 16.06.2018Denmark beat Peru 1-0 at FIFA World Cup
- 16.06.2018Ronaldo hat-trick helps Portugal draw 3-3 against Spain
- 15.06.2018Morocco own goal gives Iran second ever World Cup win
- 14.06.2018World Cup 2018: Russia beat Saudi Arabia 5-0 in opening match of tournament
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani President attends FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 14.06.20182018 FIFA World Cup Opening Ceremony held in Moscow - UPDATED
- 14.06.20182018 FIFA World Cup kicks off in Russia
- 14.06.2018UEFA to keep monitoring financial situations of 8 clubs
- 22.05.2017Well-known sports TV commentator Vladimir Pereturin dies aged 79
- 25.05.2017Manchester United beat Ajax to win the Europa League
- 27.05.2017The world's highest-paid soccer players 2017: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi lead the list
- 11.05.2017Madrid eliminates Atletico, reaches Champions League final
- 10.05.2017Juventus beats Monaco 2-1 to reach Champions League final
- 30.04.2017Bayern Munich clinched their fifth successive Bundesliga title