FIFA warmly accepts Russia’s report on preparations for 2017, 2018 Cups
The world’s governing football body, FIFA, has warmly accepted Russia’s report on the country’s organization to host the 2017 Confederations Cup and the 2018 World Cup, a senior Russian football official told TASS on Thursday, APA reports quoting TASS.
Director General of Russia-2018 Local Organizing Committee (LOC) Alexei Sorokin delivered a report on Thursday at the 67th FIFA Congress in Bahrain’s Manama regarding the current state of Russia’s preparedness for hosting the global two most important football events.
"We delivered a presentation regarding Russia’s preparations for the Confederations Cup and the World Cup," Sorokin said in an interview with TASS. "We played a short film about Russia. The atmosphere (among the audience) was warm enough."
"There were many issues for discussions and they were all of a work-type nature," the official said. "Both, the Confederations Cup and the World Cup keep assuming the final shape."
Russia is currently in full-swing preparations for the global football tournaments after the country clinched the bid, following the final vote held in Guatemala on December 4, 2010 at the FIFA Congress. The victory came following a tight race against the bids from England, Portugal and Spain, in addition to a joint bid on behalf of Belgium and the Netherlands.
The country selected 11 host cities to be the venues for the matches of the 2018 World Cupand they are Moscow, St. Petersburg, Sochi, Kazan, Saransk, Kaliningrad, Volgograd, Rostov-on-Don, Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg and Samara.
The matches of the 2018 World Cup will be held between June 14 and July 15 at 12 stadiums located in the 11 above-mentioned cities across Russia. Two of the stadiums are located in the Russian capital of Moscow.
The FIFA Confederations Cup, which is also viewed by experts as a rehearsal a year prior to the FIFA World Cup, will be held between June 17 and July 2 at four stadiums in Russia and they are Spartak Stadium in Moscow, St. Petersburg Stadium, Fisht Stadium in Sochi and Kazan Arena in Kazan.
Participants in the 2017 Confederations Cup are hosts Russia, 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions Germany, 2015 Copa America Champions Chile, 2015 AFC Asian Cup Champion Australia, 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup winners Mexico, 2016 UEFA Euro Cup champs Portugal, OFC (Oceania Football Confederation) Nations Cup victors New Zealand and 2017 CAF Africa Cup of Nations Champion Cameroon.
The Draw for the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup was held on November 26, 2016 in the Russian city of Kazan. Following the event, hosts Russia was placed in Group A alongside with Portugal, Mexico and New Zealand. Group B has brought together Germany, Chile, Australia and Cameroon.
The opening game will be held in St. Petersburg on June 17 between Russia and New Zealand. Russia will face Portugal in Moscow on June 21 and on June 24 it will play Mexico in Kazan.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 10.11.2017Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 24.10.2017Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for second year running
- 24.10.2017Fifa Best Awards: Olivier Giroud wins the Puskas Award for stunning scorpion kick
- 18.10.2017Qarabag gets first UEFA Champions League Group point
- 07.10.2017Football: Iceland crush Turkey's 2018 World Cup dreams
- 06.10.2017Bayern Munich confirm Jupp Heynckes return for fourth spell as head coach
- 01.10.2017Galatasaray win thanks to last-minute goal
- 27.09.2017Champions League: Qarabag 1 – 2 Roma
- 24.09.2017Fenerbahce beat Besiktas in eventful Istanbul derby
- 22.09.2017Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar lead FIFA best player shortlist
- 21.09.2017Date of the European League final in Baku determined
- 20.09.2017Alexis Sanchez Ignores Real and Chooses Man City
- 14.09.2017UK minister wishes FC Qarabag to win Chelsea with score of 7:0
- 13.09.2017PSG’s devastating trident destroy Celtic
- 13.09.2017Lionel Messi magic leads Barcelona to Juventus win
- 22.05.2017Well-known sports TV commentator Vladimir Pereturin dies aged 79
- 25.05.2017Manchester United beat Ajax to win the Europa League
- 27.05.2017The world's highest-paid soccer players 2017: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi lead the list
- 11.05.2017Madrid eliminates Atletico, reaches Champions League final
- 10.05.2017Juventus beats Monaco 2-1 to reach Champions League final
- 30.04.2017Bayern Munich clinched their fifth successive Bundesliga title