Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
stanbul powerhouse Galatasaray parted ways with its Croatian manager Igor Tudor on Monday following the team's poor performance in recent weeks.
Galatasaray's Board of Directors chaired by club President Dursun Özbek met Monday and unanimously voted to sack Tudor after the meeting. The club's official website displaying the technical staff was unavailable throughout Monday.
The board also decided to hold extraordinary general assembly on Jan. 13, in which Özbek is expected to face challenges due to ailing performance of the football team as well as poor results in basketball and volleyball branches.
The club initially displayed a good start to the season, leading Turkish Super League for 13 weeks in a row. However, the club's downfall began in the ninth week after it drew 0-0 with archrival Fenerbahçe. Considering the Lions' outstanding performance up to that point everyone was expecting them to thrash Fenerbahçe.
Following the derby, Galatasaray lost four matches in the seven weeks. In the tenth week, it was beaten by Trabzonspor 2-1.
Runners-up Medipol Başakşehir, thrashing Galatasaray in a 5-1 home win on Week 12, took the lead on Week 14 as the Yellow-Reds suffered a 3-0 defeat against title-holders Beşiktaş in the Istanbul Derby, angering fans and prompting calls for resignation in sports media.
Galatasaray managed to climb again to the first position in Week 15 with a 4-2 defeat against Aegean club Akhisarspor in a match hotly debated for referee decisions. However, the Lions lost the lead again on Week 16 with a 2-1 loss against Yeni Malatyaspor, which served as the tipping point for Galatasaray executives.
After the defeat against Malatyaspor Sunday, Tudor said: "All my life is pressure. There are two popular things in Turkey. One is, 'Tudor resign!' the other is this worthless system [Tudor's strategy]. Everyone is happy when my system fails. It is the mentality in Turkey. When the team loses, I am guilty one but when it wins, the success belongs to the footballers. Every coach in the world makes mistakes."
The Croatian coach's weaknesses were mainly exposed in away matches, and in derbies. Galatasaray lost eight of 17 away matches under Tudor and two ended in draws.
Galatasaray's youth development coach Emrah Bayraktar will now take Tudor's position on an interim basis.
Previously managing his home team Hajduk Split, Greece's PAOK and Turkey's Karabükspor, Tudor's hiring as Galatasaray's manager was strongly contested with most sports commentaries against the choice. In February 2016, Tudor replaced Dutch manager Jan Olde Riekerink, who himself replaced Turkish manager Mustafa Denizli in March 2016 after his brief four-month stint with the club.
After an impressive run with Karabükspor, Tudor was on Galatasaray's radar. It approached Tudor, who despite having had a contract with Karabükspor, took the job. Galatasaray paid compensation to Karabükspor and appointed Tudor as the head coach in 2017.
Galatasaray fans first called for his sacking when the club was eliminated in the Europa League qualifiers by Swedish minnows, Ostersunds (3-1 in aggregate).
After the humiliating exit, Tudor and Özbek faced growing calls of resignation. However, Özbek defended Tudor and decided to continue to work with him.
Some Galatasaray fans have suggested that the club's legendary coach Fatih Terim be reinstated by the club. Terim has had three separate stints with Galatasaray and helped it to the historic UEFA Cup title in 2000.
Meanwhile, Medipol Başakşehir retook the top spot with a 4-1 win over Antalyaspor Sunday.
The Istanbul club got three points by scoring four goals in the second half after going down 0-1 in the first. Başakşehir's defender Alexandru Epureanu scored a brace in the crucial victory.
Başakşehir now leads the league with 33 points. The Galatasaray after the defeat against Yeni Malatyaspor is now left with 32 points. Current champion Beşiktaş, on the other hand, crushed Osmanlıspor (5-1) at Istanbul's Vodafone Stadium. Ryan Babel scored a hat-trick for the Black Eagles.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018FIFA fines Argentina, Croatia federations for fans’ conduct in Nizhny Novgorod
- 23.06.2018World Cup 2018: Toni Kross brings hard-fought victory for Germany against Sweden 2-1
- 23.06.2018WORLD CUP 2018: Mexico triumphs 2-1 in match against S. Korea
- 23.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Switzerland Defeats Serbia 2-1
- 22.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Musa earns Nigeria win over Iceland
- 22.06.2018Croatia stun Argentina with 3-0 win
- 21.06.2018World Cup: France qualifies for knockout stage
- 20.06.2018Spain scores against Iran in FIFA WC match: 1-0
- 20.06.2018Uruguay beat Saudi Arabia 1-0, Russia and Uruguay reach FIFA knockout stage
- 20.06.2018World Cup: Russia beat Egypt 3-1 in Group A
- 19.06.2018World Cup: Senegal downs Poland 2-1 in Group H
- 19.06.2018World Cup: Kane gives England 2-1 win over Tunisia
- 17.06.2018FIFA World Cup: Croatia defeat Nigeria 2-0
- 16.06.2018Denmark beat Peru 1-0 at FIFA World Cup
- 16.06.2018Ronaldo hat-trick helps Portugal draw 3-3 against Spain
- 15.06.2018Morocco own goal gives Iran second ever World Cup win
- 14.06.2018World Cup 2018: Russia beat Saudi Arabia 5-0 in opening match of tournament
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani President attends FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 14.06.20182018 FIFA World Cup Opening Ceremony held in Moscow - UPDATED
- 14.06.20182018 FIFA World Cup kicks off in Russia
- 14.06.2018UEFA to keep monitoring financial situations of 8 clubs
- 13.06.2018Unified bid from US, Canada, Mexico wins right to host 2026 FIFA World Cup
- 12.06.2018Real Madrid announce Julen Lopetegui as manager
- 11.06.2018Robbie Williams, Aida Garifullina and Ronaldo to star in 2018 FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 28.05.2018"Keshla" wins Azerbaijani CUP
- 27.05.2018Real Madrid beat Liverpool 3-1 to win Champions League
- 19.05.2018Galatasaray becomes champion in Turkish Super League
- 19.05.2018Gianluigi Buffon: Juventus career ends with win over Verona
- 11.05.2018Akhisarspor claim Ziraat Turkish Cup for first time
- 07.05.2018Organizing committee set up for holding of UEFA Europa League final in Baku
- 04.05.2018Referee cancels Fenerbahce-Besiktas derby
- 03.05.2018Liverpool advances to final knocking Roma out of Champions League
- 02.05.2018Real beat Bayern to reach third final in row
- 27.04.2018Besiktas refuse to take field on May 3
- 19.04.2018Football: Akhisarspor oust Galatasaray, reach cup final
- 19.04.2018Finalists of Azerbaijan Cup on football determined
- 12.04.2018Bayern Munich advanced CL semifinal with scoreless draw
- 12.04.2018Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus
- 11.04.2018Liverpool knocks City out of Champions League
- 11.04.2018Barcelona dumped out of Champions League after stunning Roma turnaround
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time