Juventus beats Monaco 2-1 to reach Champions League final
Dani Alves inspired Juventus to a 2-1 win over Monaco on Tuesday to send the Italian club to its second Champions League final in three years, APA reports quoting BBC.
Alves set up Mario Mandzukic's opener in the 33rd minute and got on the scoresheet himself on the stroke of halftime with a fantastic volley as Juventus swept to a 4-1 victory on aggregate.
Kylian Mbappe scored a consolation goal in the 69th minute for Monaco, as Juventus remained on course for the treble. Massimiliano Allegri's side is likely to secure an unprecedented sixth Serie A title on Sunday at Roma, while it is also in the Italian Cup final.
Needing to overturn a 2-0 first-leg deficit, Monaco got off to an aggressive start. Juventus survived an early scare when Mbappe's shot from a tight angle came off the inside of the far post, although the teenager had been flagged offside.
Radamel Falcao then blasted over the crossbar two minutes later.
Juventus soaked up the early pressure before stepping up a gear midway through the half.
Gonzalo Higuain burst into the area and chipped Monaco goalkeeper Danijel Subasic, but defender Kamil Glik hooked the ball clear.
Subasic then did well to deny Mandzukic, who also sent a header wide shortly afterward as Juventus pushed for the goal which would effectively end the contest.
That came shortly after the half hour as a long throw by goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon sparked a counter which culminated in an Alves cross. Subasic parried
Mandzukic's header but the Croatia forward prodded home the rebound.
Juventus doubled its tally just before halftime. Subasic punched clear a corner but it fell to Alves, who volleyed it into the back of the net from outside the area.
Monaco scored when a corner was played short and Joao Moutinho put in a low cross for Mbappe to fire home from close range.
Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid meet on Wednesday for the other second leg match, with defending champion Real Madrid leading 3-0.
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018Football: Akhisarspor oust Galatasaray, reach cup final
- 19.04.2018Finalists of Azerbaijan Cup on football determined
- 12.04.2018Bayern Munich advanced CL semifinal with scoreless draw
- 12.04.2018Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus
- 11.04.2018Liverpool knocks City out of Champions League
- 11.04.2018Barcelona dumped out of Champions League after stunning Roma turnaround
- 04.04.2018Real Madrid defeats Juventus in the Champions League quarter-final first leg
- 23.03.2018Serbia expelled from handball event for cancelling Kosovo match
- 17.03.2018Fenerbahce, Galatasaray goalless in Istanbul derby
- 15.03.2018Bayern Munich knocks Besiktas out of Champions League
- 10.03.2018FIFA imposes transfer ban on Turkey's Trabzonspor
- 07.03.2018Ronaldo scores again as Champions League holders Real Madrid beat PSG
- 04.03.2018Neymar undergoes successful foot surgery
- 04.03.2018Video assistant referees set to be used at 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 04.03.2018Galatasaray crush bottom-placed Karabukspor 7-0
- 28.02.2018Galatasaray grab 2-1 away lead in Turkish Cup
- 23.02.2018A police officer has died following clashes between Athletic Bilbao and Spartak Moscow fans
- 21.02.2018Champions League: Bayern dominates Besiktas in 5-0 rout
- 09.02.2018FIFA World Cup Trophy presented to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.02.2018Besiktas first semi-finalist of Turkish Cup
- 31.01.2018Football: Arsenal sign Aubameyang for record fee
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 11.05.2017Madrid eliminates Atletico, reaches Champions League final
- 12.05.2017FIFA warmly accepts Russia’s report on preparations for 2017, 2018 Cups
- 22.05.2017Well-known sports TV commentator Vladimir Pereturin dies aged 79
- 30.04.2017Bayern Munich clinched their fifth successive Bundesliga title
- 26.04.2017English football clubs raided over fraud probe
- 26.04.2017Fenerbahce sweep Panathinaikos in Euroleague playoffs