Juventus beats Monaco 2-1 to reach Champions League final
Dani Alves inspired Juventus to a 2-1 win over Monaco on Tuesday to send the Italian club to its second Champions League final in three years, APA reports quoting BBC.
Alves set up Mario Mandzukic's opener in the 33rd minute and got on the scoresheet himself on the stroke of halftime with a fantastic volley as Juventus swept to a 4-1 victory on aggregate.
Kylian Mbappe scored a consolation goal in the 69th minute for Monaco, as Juventus remained on course for the treble. Massimiliano Allegri's side is likely to secure an unprecedented sixth Serie A title on Sunday at Roma, while it is also in the Italian Cup final.
Needing to overturn a 2-0 first-leg deficit, Monaco got off to an aggressive start. Juventus survived an early scare when Mbappe's shot from a tight angle came off the inside of the far post, although the teenager had been flagged offside.
Radamel Falcao then blasted over the crossbar two minutes later.
Juventus soaked up the early pressure before stepping up a gear midway through the half.
Gonzalo Higuain burst into the area and chipped Monaco goalkeeper Danijel Subasic, but defender Kamil Glik hooked the ball clear.
Subasic then did well to deny Mandzukic, who also sent a header wide shortly afterward as Juventus pushed for the goal which would effectively end the contest.
That came shortly after the half hour as a long throw by goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon sparked a counter which culminated in an Alves cross. Subasic parried
Mandzukic's header but the Croatia forward prodded home the rebound.
Juventus doubled its tally just before halftime. Subasic punched clear a corner but it fell to Alves, who volleyed it into the back of the net from outside the area.
Monaco scored when a corner was played short and Joao Moutinho put in a low cross for Mbappe to fire home from close range.
Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid meet on Wednesday for the other second leg match, with defending champion Real Madrid leading 3-0.
Related news releases
- 15.07.2018FIFA World Cup organization in Russia was successful - committee
- 14.07.2018Belgium takes third place in World Cup after beating England 2-0
- 13.07.2018FIFA officially declares 2018 World Cup in Russia doping-free
- 12.07.2018Croatia advance to World Cup final for first time
- 10.07.2018WORLD CUP 2018: France qualifies to final after beating Belgium 1-0
- 10.07.2018Real Madrid announce they have agreed to sell football star Cristiano Ronaldo to Italy's Juventus
- 09.07.2018Cuneyt Cakir to referee England-Croatia World Cup semis
- 08.07.2018WORLD CUP 2018:Choratia advance to semifinals after beating Russia
- 07.07.2018WORLD CUP 2018: England advance to semifinals after beating Sweden 2-0
- 06.07.2018Gianluigi Buffon: Paris St-Germain complete signing of Juventus legend
- 06.07.2018World Cup: France beat Uruguay 2-0, advance to semis
- 04.07.2018FIFA World Cup: England advance to quarterfinals after beating Colombia in penalty shootout
- 03.07.2018World Cup: Belgium beats Japan 3-2 in last breath
- 02.07.2018World Cup: Brazil defeat Mexico 2-0, advance to last 8
- 01.07.2018FIFA World Cup: Uruguay advance to quarter finals after eliminating Portugal 2-1
- 30.06.2018FIFA World Cup: France eliminates Argentina 4-3, advances to quarter finals
- 28.06.2018FIFA World Cup: Colombia, Japan advance to Round 16
- 27.06.2018World Cup: Holders Germany knocked out after 2-0 defeat
- 26.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina beat Nigeria 2-1 to reach round of 16
- 24.06.2018FIFA fines Argentina, Croatia federations for fans’ conduct in Nizhny Novgorod
- 23.06.2018World Cup 2018: Toni Kross brings hard-fought victory for Germany against Sweden 2-1
- 23.06.2018WORLD CUP 2018: Mexico triumphs 2-1 in match against S. Korea
- 23.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Switzerland Defeats Serbia 2-1
- 22.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Musa earns Nigeria win over Iceland
- 22.06.2018Croatia stun Argentina with 3-0 win
- 21.06.2018World Cup: France qualifies for knockout stage
- 20.06.2018Spain scores against Iran in FIFA WC match: 1-0
- 20.06.2018Uruguay beat Saudi Arabia 1-0, Russia and Uruguay reach FIFA knockout stage
- 20.06.2018World Cup: Russia beat Egypt 3-1 in Group A
- 19.06.2018World Cup: Senegal downs Poland 2-1 in Group H
- 19.06.2018World Cup: Kane gives England 2-1 win over Tunisia
- 17.06.2018FIFA World Cup: Croatia defeat Nigeria 2-0
- 16.06.2018Denmark beat Peru 1-0 at FIFA World Cup
- 16.06.2018Ronaldo hat-trick helps Portugal draw 3-3 against Spain
- 15.06.2018Morocco own goal gives Iran second ever World Cup win
- 14.06.2018World Cup 2018: Russia beat Saudi Arabia 5-0 in opening match of tournament
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani President attends FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 14.06.20182018 FIFA World Cup Opening Ceremony held in Moscow - UPDATED
- 14.06.20182018 FIFA World Cup kicks off in Russia
- 14.06.2018UEFA to keep monitoring financial situations of 8 clubs
- 11.05.2017Madrid eliminates Atletico, reaches Champions League final
- 12.05.2017FIFA warmly accepts Russia’s report on preparations for 2017, 2018 Cups
- 22.05.2017Well-known sports TV commentator Vladimir Pereturin dies aged 79
- 30.04.2017Bayern Munich clinched their fifth successive Bundesliga title
- 26.04.2017English football clubs raided over fraud probe
- 26.04.2017Fenerbahce sweep Panathinaikos in Euroleague playoffs