Mexico knocks out Russia from FIFA Confederations Cup with 2-1 win in Kazan
Team Mexico cruised past Russia with 2-1 win in the third and final group stage match of the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup, knocking the hosts out from further battle for the trophy, APA reports quoting TASS.
The Russian and Mexican football teams faced each other previously 23 years ago in a friendly match in Oakland, the United States, where team Russia rocketed past the squad from Mexico with 4-1 win.
In all, both teams met each other 12 times, including the matches of Mexico against the ex-Soviet team finishing seven of them with a draw, while the Russian side won four and lost one.
Spectators' stands at the over 42,500-seat capacity stadium in Kazan, mostly occupied with Russian fans, burst with applause into 25th minute of the first half, when Russia’s midfielder Alexander Samedov opened the score putting the ball into the Mexican net.
However, five minutes later Mexican defender Nestor Araujo’s header found its way past Russia’s goaltender Igor Akinfeev and ended up in the net of the hosts, drawing the score to 1-1.
Four minutes into the 2nd half Samedov emerged again putting another ball in the goal of the Mexican team, but it was annulled since it was scored from the off-side position.
Less than three minutes after that, Mexican striker Hirving Lozano rushed out into the goal zone one on one with Russia’s goaltender Akinfeev and scored a header to bring up the advantage of his team over the hosts to 2-1.
The Russian side played rough in the second half of the match and it did not go unnoticed by referees as Fedor Kudriashov was handed a yellow card and then Russia’s midfielder Yury Zhirkov was ordered to leave the pitch getting a red card for elbowing a Mexican player in the face.
Shortly after Zhirkov’s red card Russian defender Viktor Vasin collected another yellow card for his team and with minutes remaining before the final whistle Alexander Golovin was penalized with a yellow card.
No matter how hard the Russian team sought to mend the score and grab the win, the scoreboard flashed 2-1 in favor of Mexico with the final whistle of the match.
According to organizers, a total of over 41,500 people attended tonight’s match at Kazan Arena.
This year’s FIFA Confederations Cup is held between June 17 and July 2 at four stadiums in Russia and they are Spartak Stadium in Moscow, St. Petersburg Stadium, Fisht Stadium in Sochi and the Kazan Arena in Kazan.
Participants in the 2017 Confederations Cup are hosts Russia, 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions Germany, 2015 Copa America Champions Chile, 2015 AFC Asian Cup Champion Australia, 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup winners Mexico, 2016 UEFA Euro Cup champs Portugal, OFC (Oceania Football Confederation) Nations Cup victors New Zealand and 2017 CAF Africa Cup of Nations Champion Cameroon.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 10.11.2017Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 24.10.2017Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for second year running
- 24.10.2017Fifa Best Awards: Olivier Giroud wins the Puskas Award for stunning scorpion kick
- 18.10.2017Qarabag gets first UEFA Champions League Group point
- 07.10.2017Football: Iceland crush Turkey's 2018 World Cup dreams
- 06.10.2017Bayern Munich confirm Jupp Heynckes return for fourth spell as head coach
- 01.10.2017Galatasaray win thanks to last-minute goal
- 27.09.2017Champions League: Qarabag 1 – 2 Roma
- 24.09.2017Fenerbahce beat Besiktas in eventful Istanbul derby
- 22.09.2017Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar lead FIFA best player shortlist
- 21.09.2017Date of the European League final in Baku determined
- 20.09.2017Alexis Sanchez Ignores Real and Chooses Man City
- 14.09.2017UK minister wishes FC Qarabag to win Chelsea with score of 7:0
- 13.09.2017PSG’s devastating trident destroy Celtic
- 13.09.2017Lionel Messi magic leads Barcelona to Juventus win
- 29.06.2017The Chilean national football team beat Portugal in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup semifinals.
- 15.07.2017Galatasaray part ways with Wesley Sneijder
- 16.07.2017Six countries demand FIFA strip Qatar of 2022 World Cup, says Infantino
- 13.06.2017Iran beats Uzbekistan 2-0, gains entry to 2018 World Cup
- 10.06.2017Northern Ireland beat Azerbaijan 1-0 at European Championship qualifier
- 07.06.2017Real Madrid star Benzema joins street iftar in Turkey