Mexico knocks out Russia from FIFA Confederations Cup with 2-1 win in Kazan
Team Mexico cruised past Russia with 2-1 win in the third and final group stage match of the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup, knocking the hosts out from further battle for the trophy, APA reports quoting TASS.
The Russian and Mexican football teams faced each other previously 23 years ago in a friendly match in Oakland, the United States, where team Russia rocketed past the squad from Mexico with 4-1 win.
In all, both teams met each other 12 times, including the matches of Mexico against the ex-Soviet team finishing seven of them with a draw, while the Russian side won four and lost one.
Spectators' stands at the over 42,500-seat capacity stadium in Kazan, mostly occupied with Russian fans, burst with applause into 25th minute of the first half, when Russia’s midfielder Alexander Samedov opened the score putting the ball into the Mexican net.
However, five minutes later Mexican defender Nestor Araujo’s header found its way past Russia’s goaltender Igor Akinfeev and ended up in the net of the hosts, drawing the score to 1-1.
Four minutes into the 2nd half Samedov emerged again putting another ball in the goal of the Mexican team, but it was annulled since it was scored from the off-side position.
Less than three minutes after that, Mexican striker Hirving Lozano rushed out into the goal zone one on one with Russia’s goaltender Akinfeev and scored a header to bring up the advantage of his team over the hosts to 2-1.
The Russian side played rough in the second half of the match and it did not go unnoticed by referees as Fedor Kudriashov was handed a yellow card and then Russia’s midfielder Yury Zhirkov was ordered to leave the pitch getting a red card for elbowing a Mexican player in the face.
Shortly after Zhirkov’s red card Russian defender Viktor Vasin collected another yellow card for his team and with minutes remaining before the final whistle Alexander Golovin was penalized with a yellow card.
No matter how hard the Russian team sought to mend the score and grab the win, the scoreboard flashed 2-1 in favor of Mexico with the final whistle of the match.
According to organizers, a total of over 41,500 people attended tonight’s match at Kazan Arena.
This year’s FIFA Confederations Cup is held between June 17 and July 2 at four stadiums in Russia and they are Spartak Stadium in Moscow, St. Petersburg Stadium, Fisht Stadium in Sochi and the Kazan Arena in Kazan.
Participants in the 2017 Confederations Cup are hosts Russia, 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions Germany, 2015 Copa America Champions Chile, 2015 AFC Asian Cup Champion Australia, 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup winners Mexico, 2016 UEFA Euro Cup champs Portugal, OFC (Oceania Football Confederation) Nations Cup victors New Zealand and 2017 CAF Africa Cup of Nations Champion Cameroon.
Related news releases
- 15.07.2018FIFA World Cup organization in Russia was successful - committee
- 14.07.2018Belgium takes third place in World Cup after beating England 2-0
- 13.07.2018FIFA officially declares 2018 World Cup in Russia doping-free
- 12.07.2018Croatia advance to World Cup final for first time
- 10.07.2018WORLD CUP 2018: France qualifies to final after beating Belgium 1-0
- 10.07.2018Real Madrid announce they have agreed to sell football star Cristiano Ronaldo to Italy's Juventus
- 09.07.2018Cuneyt Cakir to referee England-Croatia World Cup semis
- 08.07.2018WORLD CUP 2018:Choratia advance to semifinals after beating Russia
- 07.07.2018WORLD CUP 2018: England advance to semifinals after beating Sweden 2-0
- 06.07.2018Gianluigi Buffon: Paris St-Germain complete signing of Juventus legend
- 06.07.2018World Cup: France beat Uruguay 2-0, advance to semis
- 04.07.2018FIFA World Cup: England advance to quarterfinals after beating Colombia in penalty shootout
- 03.07.2018World Cup: Belgium beats Japan 3-2 in last breath
- 02.07.2018World Cup: Brazil defeat Mexico 2-0, advance to last 8
- 01.07.2018FIFA World Cup: Uruguay advance to quarter finals after eliminating Portugal 2-1
- 30.06.2018FIFA World Cup: France eliminates Argentina 4-3, advances to quarter finals
- 28.06.2018FIFA World Cup: Colombia, Japan advance to Round 16
- 27.06.2018World Cup: Holders Germany knocked out after 2-0 defeat
- 26.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina beat Nigeria 2-1 to reach round of 16
- 24.06.2018FIFA fines Argentina, Croatia federations for fans’ conduct in Nizhny Novgorod
- 23.06.2018World Cup 2018: Toni Kross brings hard-fought victory for Germany against Sweden 2-1
- 23.06.2018WORLD CUP 2018: Mexico triumphs 2-1 in match against S. Korea
- 23.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Switzerland Defeats Serbia 2-1
- 22.06.2018FIFA World Cup 2018: Musa earns Nigeria win over Iceland
- 22.06.2018Croatia stun Argentina with 3-0 win
- 21.06.2018World Cup: France qualifies for knockout stage
- 20.06.2018Spain scores against Iran in FIFA WC match: 1-0
- 20.06.2018Uruguay beat Saudi Arabia 1-0, Russia and Uruguay reach FIFA knockout stage
- 20.06.2018World Cup: Russia beat Egypt 3-1 in Group A
- 19.06.2018World Cup: Senegal downs Poland 2-1 in Group H
- 19.06.2018World Cup: Kane gives England 2-1 win over Tunisia
- 17.06.2018FIFA World Cup: Croatia defeat Nigeria 2-0
- 16.06.2018Denmark beat Peru 1-0 at FIFA World Cup
- 16.06.2018Ronaldo hat-trick helps Portugal draw 3-3 against Spain
- 15.06.2018Morocco own goal gives Iran second ever World Cup win
- 14.06.2018World Cup 2018: Russia beat Saudi Arabia 5-0 in opening match of tournament
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani President attends FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 14.06.20182018 FIFA World Cup Opening Ceremony held in Moscow - UPDATED
- 14.06.20182018 FIFA World Cup kicks off in Russia
- 14.06.2018UEFA to keep monitoring financial situations of 8 clubs
- 29.06.2017The Chilean national football team beat Portugal in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup semifinals.
- 15.07.2017Galatasaray part ways with Wesley Sneijder
- 16.07.2017Six countries demand FIFA strip Qatar of 2022 World Cup, says Infantino
- 13.06.2017Iran beats Uzbekistan 2-0, gains entry to 2018 World Cup
- 10.06.2017Northern Ireland beat Azerbaijan 1-0 at European Championship qualifier
- 07.06.2017Real Madrid star Benzema joins street iftar in Turkey