Real Madrid wins UEFA Champions League
Real Madrid were crowned winners of the Champions League on Saturday after beating Juventus 4-1 at Cardiff Millennium Stadium, APA reports.
Superstar Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring in the 20th minute and became the first player ever to score in three different Champions League finals.
Italian powerhouse Juventus quickly responded two minutes later when Croatian forward Mario Mandzukic executed an acrobatic volley to equalize.
Although the first-half appeared the two teams were equally matched, the second half proved a different story as Juventus had no answer for a dominating Madrid squad.
In the 61st minute, Brazilian midfielder Casemiro's shot was deflected off Juventus’ Sami Khedira to spin beyond the reach of goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon. That score put Madrid in the driver’s seat.
Ronaldo added his second goal in the 64th minute to give his team a comfortable 3-1 lead.
Sergio Asensio put in another goal for good measure making Real Madrid the first team to win back-to-back titles in the Champions League since the tournament changed its name for the 1992-1993 season from the European Champion Clubs' Cup.
The victory was the twelfth title for Real Madrid in the team’s Champions League history.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 10.11.2017Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 24.10.2017Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for second year running
- 24.10.2017Fifa Best Awards: Olivier Giroud wins the Puskas Award for stunning scorpion kick
- 18.10.2017Qarabag gets first UEFA Champions League Group point
- 07.10.2017Football: Iceland crush Turkey's 2018 World Cup dreams
- 06.10.2017Bayern Munich confirm Jupp Heynckes return for fourth spell as head coach
- 01.10.2017Galatasaray win thanks to last-minute goal
- 27.09.2017Champions League: Qarabag 1 – 2 Roma
- 24.09.2017Fenerbahce beat Besiktas in eventful Istanbul derby
- 22.09.2017Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar lead FIFA best player shortlist
- 21.09.2017Date of the European League final in Baku determined
- 20.09.2017Alexis Sanchez Ignores Real and Chooses Man City
- 14.09.2017UK minister wishes FC Qarabag to win Chelsea with score of 7:0
- 13.09.2017PSG’s devastating trident destroy Celtic
- 13.09.2017Lionel Messi magic leads Barcelona to Juventus win
- 06.06.2017Turkish star quits international football after assault
- 07.06.2017Real Madrid star Benzema joins street iftar in Turkey
- 10.06.2017Northern Ireland beat Azerbaijan 1-0 at European Championship qualifier
- 01.06.2017Football: Konyaspor win their first ever Turkish Cup
- 27.05.2017The world's highest-paid soccer players 2017: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi lead the list
- 25.05.2017Manchester United beat Ajax to win the Europa League